Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most dominated by the redneck/hillbily/hick culture?
Tallahassee, FL 9 3.33%
Jacksonville, FL 18 6.67%
Little Rock, AR 40 14.81%
Jackson, MS 21 7.78%
Biloxi, MS 6 2.22%
Augusta, GA 4 1.48%
Athens, GA 6 2.22%
Montgomery, AL 7 2.59%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.93%
Huntsville, AL 7 2.59%
Chatanooga, TN 11 4.07%
Greenville, SC 12 4.44%
Columbia, SC 8 2.96%
Charleston, SC 3 1.11%
Fayetteville, NC 5 1.85%
Amarillo, TX 19 7.04%
Lexington, KY 9 3.33%
Oklahoma City, OK 15 5.56%
Charleston, WV 35 12.96%
Cookeville, TN 19 7.04%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:24 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,112,383 times

Advertisements

I have never been to any city where you couldn't find cars on blocks, rednecks and/or hillbillies, and impoverished areas 15-30 miles outside of the city (and often closer). Most cities have white trash areas just like they have black ghettos. It is silly for anyone to think that just because a city is in the South, it is uniquely prepositioned to be "dominated" by rednecks.

There are tons of rednecks in California, New York, and Illinois just like there are tons of rednecks in Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. There are even GASP rich rednecks (or at least people some naive people would call rednecks, but who simply own lots of land and perhaps run farms, and don't have a high educational attainment).

The only states in the Union with noticeably lower concentrations of rednecks are CT, RI, DE, MD, and MA (but *not* western Mass). These states also have fewer ghettos, not so surprisingly (well **not** MD), but they do have tons of trashy people of other cultures.

And "southern" does not equal KKK and/or redneck, and redneck does not usually equal KKK. This thread is just another clue that most people here don't even know what they're talking about. Many southerners from rural areas drive trucks, hunt/have a Browning sticker on their truck, occasionally wear camo, often wear polo/button down and khakis, and usually have at minimum a high school education. They work hard, go to church, and get married young. This does not make them rednecks and 90+% will disavow the KKK.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Lack of rednecks in Deleware? Not really.

Lack of ghettos in Connecticut? Been to Hartford, New Haven or Bridgeport lately? Wilmington DE is no picnic either.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVDiva10 View Post
I didn't realize that Little Rock, AR was redneckish!
It is overwhelmingly. I was downtown one time when I lived there and there was a bluegrass band playing on the streets complete with a banjo player, overalls, and everything. Their biggest event is called Riverfest, which in 2009 the main event was a Willie Nelson concert. Over 50% of the metro population lives outside of the "urbanized" area meaning they live in the surrounding rural farming communities.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:03 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,525 times
all of em

Old 01-16-2011, 07:12 PM

14 posts, read 19,498 times
Due to posts above, I now have an idea of the difference between rednecks and hillbillies.

I wasn't sure if the person was being sarcastic about Nashville but it seems that Nashville is more progressive and very urban than I thought it would be.

Any comments about the college town of Knoxville?

I assume it's somewhat urban college town with mountain country pride like my home state WV.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Due to posts above, I now have an idea of the difference between rednecks and hillbillies.

I wasn't sure if the person was being sarcastic about Nashville but it seems that Nashville is more progressive and very urban than I thought it would be.

Any comments about the college town of Knoxville?

I assume it's somewhat urban college town with mountain country pride like my home state WV.
I've been through Knoxville and to me it seemed extremely sprawled considering its size and there seemed to be a huge bible belt influence there at first glance. There really wasn't anything urban about it. I would group it with Little Rock, Jackson, Montgomery, Baton Rouge, etc.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 PM

14 posts, read 19,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I've been through Knoxville and to me it seemed extremely sprawled considering its size and there seemed to be a huge bible belt influence there at first glance. There really wasn't anything urban about it. I would group it with Little Rock, Jackson, Montgomery, Baton Rouge, etc.
I totally agree with you!

Knoxville despite its growing population and sprawl doesn't seem to be urban and the city lacks any tall building compared to Little Rock; however, Knoxville has interesting buildings made out of brick that are historic. I think it gives Knoxville its uniqueness by being smaller big college town.

Well, most of the South is in the Bible Belt. I have seen more churches in Atlanta than most cities in the South.

I have two good gay friends that are much happier living in Knoxville than in their hometown Charlotte, NC.

Despite religious population, they seem to be tolerant towards gays even though they might not accept it. I think that's better than having more hatred and homophobia.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM

442 posts, read 1,296,611 times
lol i would vote for all of these ecept maybe jacksonville fl doesnt seem like theyres too many hicks down there

Old 01-16-2011, 08:23 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What city is most dominated by the redneck/hillbilly/hick culture?
You forgot San Francisco.

Old 01-17-2011, 08:21 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times
Quote:
Seriously? You weren't sure? The part about shooting Yankees and moonshine jugs littering the streets and not having half the buildings with indoor plumbing wasn't a tip-off?

Plainly, yes, it was sarcasm. Heavy sarcasm.

Nashville is a progressive highly urbanized city with any of the amenities, culture and offerings that any large city has. It also has the same issues as any large city.

Most of your posts on this topic on other forums have either been deleted, locked or ridiculed as the question you are asking is inherently rude or deliberately obtuse. If it is a straight-up question with no trolling intent, it is a question based absolutely upon false assumptions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City