Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 05:55 PM

25 posts, read 16,413 times

Advertisements

(Greenville SC)

Which one would you prefer for:

Tech Jobs:
Culture:
Most Religious:
Shopping:
Food:
COL:
Least Traffic:
Crime:
Real Estate Value for the Future:
Education:
Local Sports:
Climate:

Public Transportation:

Best Nearby Town:

Any other highlight, please share.

Last edited by mikeoconnell; 08-20-2021 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: Clarifying SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 07:56 PM

156 posts, read 168,641 times
Tech Jobs: I don't know
Culture: Greenville (southern hospitality is live and well there)
Most Religious: Greenville by far
Shopping: I don't know
Food: Greenville
COL: Grand Rapids
Least Traffic: Greenville?
Crime: Grand Rapids
Real Estate Value for the Future: Grand Rapids
Education: Grand Rapids
Local Sports: Greenville (Clemson is nearby and Charlotte ain't too far)
Climate: Colorado Springs
Public Transportation: I don't know
Best Nearby Town: That's subjective

I don't recommend going anywhere west of the Dakotas because of Californians moving all over the place and jacking up pricing.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:31 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
These are all somewhat similar, I can see the comparison.

For the economy and COL, Grand Rapids is number one. COS is only good if you have an inroad with the defense or aerospace industry. COS is a pricey area, more expensive than Atlanta for housing for what you get. The new subdivisions aren't that nice unless you're looking at 600K+.

Religious: You'd be fine on either end of the spectrum in all of them I think. It seems more people are religious in the SE US, but they aren't as hardcore as those that are religious in COS.

Real Estate appreciation: all of them are growing at a decent clip, so really it could be any of them.

Climate: Greenville > Grand Rapids > COS. Greenville has the most days in the 70s and is basically disaster free. A lot of people don't like snow or cloudy winters, but for the midwest, Grand Rapids has one of the better climates in the midwest with it's lake effect and longer growing season and is also disaster free. It also gets enough snow for winter outdoor recreation. COS is known for snow one day sun the next, which is cool, but snow season is a LONG part of the year. It's generally a pretty livable climate year round but the wildfire smoke and hail dent the summer weather prospects and there's not reliable snow in the mountains nearby for snow recreation which knocks the winter some. It's very difficult to get anything to grow in your yards landscape due to wacky temperature fluctuations.

It depends on what you like. If you don't like winter and like green and mountains, Greenville's the best. It's a good spot if SE US scenery appeals, it's a cool spot with the reservoirs and mountains so close. If you like water recreation and care more about a well laid out city, Grand Rapids is solid. If you like mountains and topography, Colorado Springs is really unique being able to so quickly go from 6000 - 14000 feet in a quick drive. It's one of the only big cities which actually has a huge mountain and tons of trails and a big diversity of scenery within the same county as the city. But you got to love Pikes Peak, otherwise there's more livable places.

Last edited by Phil P; 08-21-2021 at 07:39 AM..

Old 08-23-2021, 11:41 AM

5,294 posts, read 6,059,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
These are all somewhat similar, I can see the comparison.
Great summary. I'd like to contribute but I'm not familiar enough with CO Springs or Greenville to give an educated opinion. I wonder how many folks on here are familiar with all three.

Old 08-23-2021, 02:33 PM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
How are these cities for countercultural/indie/hipster stuff?

I'm guessing Grand Rapids is a bit below the other two just because it isn't growing as fast and it's close to the Michigan coast, which mainly attracts retirees?

Old 08-23-2021, 02:51 PM

457 posts, read 349,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

I'm guessing Grand Rapids is a bit below the other two just because it isn't growing as fast and it's close to the Michigan coast, which mainly attracts retirees?
I think Grand Rapids does just fine in those categories with it's brewery and arts scenes. Not sure where you get the retirement impression but that doesn't match the numbers I see. According to census reporter Grand Rapids metro has a median age of 36.5 years old compared to 35 years old for Colorado Springs, and 38 years old for Greenville. The Lake Michigan resort cities that attract retirees are a full two hours north of Grand Rapids.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/...co-metro-area/

Grand Rapids attracts younger college graduates and has developed a visible counter culture scene like most places that are gentrifying. It's also the most urban of the cities listed here which typically attracts the counter culture types you're referring to. It's growing slower than the other two but still above the national average. I would say it probably has a stronger counter cultural scene compared to Colorado Springs. I've been to CO Springs and it seemed a typical growing Mountain West city didn't have the same eclectic neighborhoods and loft conversions I saw all over Grand Rapids. Not to say CO Springs doesn’t have those things, just felt like it attracted a different type of transplant. I haven't been to Greenville and it does seem that it has quite a bit of urban investments going on so it could be doing well in that regard.

I can't imagine what your guess is for other than a lack of exposure? Possibly you are simply dismissing Grand Rapids being in Michigan? For the categories you listed "Countercultural, Indie, Hipster stuff, I'd probably give GR an edge. It's not really a scientific measure though so there's room for debate I'm sure. Perhaps you could give some metrics for them and we could do a comparison?

Old 08-24-2021, 10:18 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,127,881 times
COS is a bit of a strange mix compared to other cities. The first thing to note is the huge military presence, that's reflected in demographics and elsewhere. Counterculture, yes, there's plenty of that, just google Manitou Springs. There's also a lot more guns rights folks there, dwarfing anything in the SE, because of the military. Hipster, not really, that's much more the rest of CO, not really the Springs. Indie scene, about 1/3 of the city is unique establishments and 2/3s of the city is standard suburb development.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:32 AM

6,772 posts, read 4,514,172 times
Iv'e been to all 3. From my experience:

Tech Jobs: Between these 3, I really don't know. Though all 3 have good economies, I'd give the overall nod to Greenville.
Culture: Greenville (I love Southern culture/hospitality)
Most Religious: Greenville, with Colorado Springs a close 2nd.
Shopping: Not sure
Food: Greenville (southern cooking, I love it)
COL: Greenville
Least Traffic: Maybe Greenville
Crime: Grand Rapids
Real Estate Value for the Future: Focusing on the word "value", Greenville
Education: K-12: Grand Rapids; Colleges: Greenville
Local Sports: Greenville, being so close to Atlanta AND Charlotte
Climate: Greenville
My overall pick: I really like all 3. But in my order of preference: Greenville, Colorado Springs, Grand Rapids.

Old 08-24-2021, 11:10 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

Actually, Grand Rapids is out in front on this. While Greenville has really come into its own, this scene is pretty nonexistent. It's just a quick drive away in spades in Asheville though.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:14 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,753,287 times
Tech Jobs: Colorado Springs
Culture: Colorado Springs, Grand Rapids
Most Religious: Tie. The two not in the Bible Belt are the Bible Belts of their regions.
Shopping: Colorado Springs
Food: tossup
COL: Greenville
Least Traffic: none would seem that bad
Crime: Grand Rapids by a comfortable margin.
Real Estate Value for the Future: ? I could see Colorado Springs continuing to become more expensive.
Education: Grand Rapids
Local Sports: Grand Rapids maybe. The midwest is fanatical about all sports in general.
Climate:Colorado Springs

Public Transportation: ….

Best Nearby Town: Denver… Chicago… either are good getaways.

Colorado Springs would be my top choice but Grand Rapids isn’t far behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City