Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 07:17 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,559,570 times

Advertisements

US News & World Report recently came out with its Best State Rankings. Criteria used included Crime & Corrections, Economy, Education, Fiscal Stability, Health Care, Infrastructure, Natural Environment, and Opportunity.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...tates-rankings

Top 10:

1. Utah
2. Washington
3. Idaho
4. Nebraska
5. Minnesota
6. New Hampshire
7. Iowa
8. Wisconsin
9. Vermont
10. Florida

Other notables:

11. Massachusetts
13. Virginia
15. Colorado
16. Connecticut
17. North Carolina
19 New Jersey
20. New York
21. Georgia
33. California
36. Illinois
40. Pennsylvania

Full rankings:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 07:28 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,297,223 times
I've heard Minnesota and Washington do well in these categories. Wouldn't have expected Nebraska and Iowa to be this high but it is a pleasant surprise. Not surprised by Pennsylvania unfortunately. Also a bit confused by Utah. It's #1 yet ranked #46 in natural environment? I thought that was the reason a lot of people moved there.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:35 AM

259 posts, read 160,842 times
Hmm, I've never really thought of Florida as the number 1 state for education. Maybe it's better than I thought, but I have a hard time believing no other state beats it.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:40 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I'm surprised that Pennsylvania is almost last. I actually think we do well overall. Oh well!

Old 06-16-2023, 07:59 AM

4,401 posts, read 4,297,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm surprised that Pennsylvania is almost last. I actually think we do well overall. Oh well!
Some parts of the state do well. The rural part of the state has a lot of poverty which is clearly effecting this.

Old 06-16-2023, 08:24 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
LOL! My thoughts, too. As we all know, statistics are more of an art than a science. US News is a prime example of that. WalletHub puts PA as the 14th best state to live in; so take your pick as to which is more "valid." https://wallethub.com/edu/best-states-to-live-in/62617

US News also lists NY State as 49th in opportunity--you know, that state with one of the most powerful and lucrative cities in the world. So I rest my case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Some parts of the state do well. The rural part of the state has a lot of poverty which is clearly effecting this.
Certainly there's rural poverty in PA, but the overall poverty rate is very middling (25th out of 50). Based on the weighting, fiscal stability and infrastructure apparently push the state so low. But ironically these are measures where PA is better than it's likely been in decades in 2023.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:05 AM

10,073 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonro View Post
Hmm, I've never really thought of Florida as the number 1 state for education. Maybe it's better than I thought, but I have a hard time believing no other state beats it.
I find this very hard to believe, myself.

In looking at US News and World Report and their methodology for this list, here is what they say they use for education:

EDUCATION

Higher Education

2-Year-College Graduation Rate: The share of students attending public institutions who complete a two-year degree program within three years, or 150% of the normal time. (National Center for Education Statistics; 2018 cohort)
4-Year-College Graduation Rate: The share of undergraduate students at public institutions who initially pursue a bachelor's or equivalent four-year degree and receive one within six years, or 150% of the normal time of study. (National Center for Education Statistics; 2015 cohort)
Population With Advanced Degree: The share of people 25 and older in a state who have an associate degree or higher. (U.S. Census Bureau American Community Survey 1-year estimates; 2021)
Debt at Graduation: The average amount of debt held by college students graduating from four-year public or private nonprofit institutions. (The Institute for College Access and Success; 2020)
Tuition and Fees: The average college tuition and fees required of in-state students at public four-year institutions, not including room and board. (National Center for Education Statistics; 2020-2021)
Pre-K-12

College Readiness: The approximate percentage of high school graduates who have met benchmarks in the SAT, the ACT or both. (College Board, ACT, U.S. Census Bureau; 2020)
High School Graduation Rate: The four-year adjusted cohort high school graduation rate for public schools. (National Center for Education Statistics; 2019-2020)
NAEP Math Scores: The average composite-scale score on mathematics achievement tests taken by eighth-grade students. (U.S. Department of Education National Assessment of Educational Progress; 2022)
NAEP Reading Scores: The average composite-scale score on reading achievement tests taken by eighth-grade students. (U.S. Department of Education National Assessment of Educational Progress; 2022)
Preschool Enrollment: The percentage of children ages 3 to 4 enrolled in a nursery or preschool program. (U.S. Census Bureau American Community Survey 1-year estimates; 2021)

I still find it hard to believe that Florida ranks #1 on this.

Especially since I've read some things lately that say Florida students have been learning and comprehending less and less, over the past decade, as compared to other states. It has the nation's worst learning rate.

Source: https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/202...orming-column/

From the source: Florida students learned 12 percent less each year from third to eighth grade than the national average from 2009 to 2018. The next worst state was Alabama, according to The Educational Opportunity Project at Stanford University. Florida’s political and education leaders completely ignored that finding.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:59 PM

172 posts, read 123,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
US News & World Report recently came out with its Best State Rankings. Criteria used included Crime & Corrections, Economy, Education, Fiscal Stability, Health Care, Infrastructure, Natural Environment, and Opportunity.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...tates-rankings

Top 10:

1. Utah
2. Washington
3. Idaho
4. Nebraska
5. Minnesota
6. New Hampshire
7. Iowa
8. Wisconsin
9. Vermont
10. Florida

Full rankings:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings
I can't understand why Utah and Idaho are on this list.

The only state that I think out of the top 10 that I can understand would be Washington state and New Hampshire.

Utah is extremely expensive state when one adjusts the cost of the average home compared to per-capita incomes.

The per-capita incomes are very low in Utah and the cost of the average house is very expensive and the state income tax is middle of the road also which does not help Utah either for those who work average-waged jobs.

Idaho also is a very expensive state considering how low the per-capita incomes are.

Omaha and Des Moines are excellent metropolitan areas but with extremely high taxes but the quality of amenities in much of Nebraska and Iowa is quite low.

Omaha and Des Moines have extremely, extremely high taxes also.

Many of the smaller cities in Nebraska do very poorly when it comes cost of housing to per-capita and household income ratio's

Old 07-18-2023, 07:16 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,403,235 times
Is US News a credible source? Over the years I’ve grown to add them to my list of sources I do not trust and I’m starting to see them close to wallethub.

I typically do not trust .com websites simply because a lot of them are opinion based websites or bias newspapers

Old 07-19-2023, 11:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,093,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I've heard Minnesota and Washington do well in these categories.
Yes, Minnesota is routinely at the top in terms of quality of living metrics year after year. Despite winters that most Americans consider "apocalyptic", it's a very good place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City