Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,867 times

Advertisements

okay, so me an my cousin were born three days apart, grew up together and were best friends, college roomates, grad school roomates, and so on, i am a lawyer, and he is a OB/GYN we are both 28 years old and are single, we have both recived a few job offers, but only two in the same city, one in Chicago, and one in Boston, we are planning on rooming together which one is right for us, here some stuff we are looking for:
-a great downtown
-a good nightlife
-we both LOVE SNOW!
lots of young singles
i am very liberal and he is very conserviative(litearly) and we wont a mix of both
we are both HUGE basketball fans and whats weird is i have always been a big chicago bulls fan, and he has always been a big boston celtics fan(weird, right?)
we cant really decide i am leaning more towards Chicago, and i think he is leaning more to Boston, which one is more expensive, which one is more fun?
oh and we are looking to spend $2000-$3000, a mounth on rent, will that get us a 2br 2ba in a good area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 10:16 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,921,337 times
Boston is more expensive and I think Chicago might have a better mix of liberal/conservative people but that's only a guess because it's in the midwest - I wouldn't really know. Other than that, the two cities are pretty much comparable in all other areas you mentioned. You will like both.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
I would choose Boston, do not underestimate the convienience of being located in the Boston-Washinton Corridor and being close to other great northeast cities. Also the Northeast is more liberal in nature than the midwest. I think both are great cities and should provide you with what you are looking for but would give Boston the edge.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:20 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Obviously, the individual practice situation will vary greatly, but on average, Illinois is better than Massachusetts for physicians in general.

Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,828,520 times
I would also choose Boston. This was a tough one.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:09 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
I would choose Chicago for what your looking for.

For the amount of rent your looking to spend you'll get a GREAT apartment in almost any neighborhood in the city.

Chicago is much cheaper than Boston.

Boston I've heard gets more snow than Chicago, but the snow in Chicago typically stays on the ground from January-early March.

Chicago has a good downtown with lots of things to do as you head north from the Loop. As far as nightlife goes Chicago wins in that department. There are a ton of different scenes and the people that you'll party with are typically more laid back and friendly than those in the east coast.

Both are great sports cities. The advantage I'd give Boston over Chicago is that its closer to other cities. But its pretty hard to get bored in Chicago so you won't really have many reasons to leave the city.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:21 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Ditto to what's been said: Chicago is overall cheaper, and you might actually find some conservatives for his side, as Boston is more liberal-leaning.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM

37,133 posts, read 39,380,764 times
This sounds like a premise for a zany sitcom.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
Tough choice. Both are great cities. I live in Boston and love it, but I've enjoyed all my visits to Chicago and could envision myself liking it there too.

When you say that you both love snow, does that include snow sports like skiing, boarding, etc.? I'm not sure about the ski options in Chicago, but in Boston, you're within a few hours of the best East Coast skiing in Maine, NH, and Vermont (it's not as good as the powder in the Western US, but it's pretty decent). You can definitely day trip for skiing.

One of the biggest complaints about Boston nightlife is that the bars/clubs all shut down by 2AM (a few even at 1AM). Now, I hated this when I was in my early 20s, but now that I'm in my late 20s, I love it because I don't like staying up any later than that most nights. But, it's something to consider. There are tons of bars, Irish style pubs, lounges and live music clubs.

I have friends in NYC, DC and Philly and all are pretty easy to get to just for a weekend.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:37 AM

2,723 posts, read 6,111,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This sounds like a premise for a zany sitcom.
Perfect Strangers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City