Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 05:32 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Things don't look good for Los Angeles...

Continued illegal immigration + malfunctioning public schools + bankrupt government + income inequality comparable to Brazilian cities = crime
l.a is just getting better and better when you look at the violent crime rates from year to year on city data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james229 View Post
Add DC, Philly, Bmore, Chicago, LA....very dangerous cities
dc is going through insane lows and is still decreasing in crime, same for l.a.

and same for Chicago.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyKing54 View Post
Nah. I don't think NYC will get dangerous no time soon. If it did it wouldn't be anything significant. Just because a couple of stupid tourists flaunting their ipods or whatever gets robbed on a subway doesn't mean crime is going up. That type of stuff happens all the time, the only reason they were robbed was because they were unaware and vulnerable, it's not like they ran up to some random person and ran their pockets for no reason.
the funny thing is nyc actually surged in increase of crime in the beginning of 2010 and still has a increase in murders as of now. most of the cities people picked are experiencing lows in violent crime , and are continuing to do so.

a lot of people making these list are just paranoid if you ask me.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS88 View Post
Statistically crime will probably be down in NYC for the next 500 years but realistically most of the city has been getting slightly more dangerous for the past couple years I personally know despite a gentrification HYPE that crime has been going up for the past 4 years. So I think certain boroughs like Queens, Brooklyn, Manhattan, and maybe the west bronx will get gradually worse over the 2010s and people will see it.
they already are getting worse.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
They better get started now. So far this year Chicago has the highest raw numbers of murders in the country according to a post on the general U.S. forum.

# Murders, City
301 Chicago
293 New York
253 Detroit
206 Los Angeles
195 Philly
what the hell this is wrong , Chicago and new york do not even have 200 homicides to begin with , and new york has more raw number homicides then Chicago.

where are you getting your sources from?? they are off.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:43 PM

o wow im really stupid, i didnt see that this thread was in 2009

Old 05-27-2010, 06:09 PM

289 posts, read 1,025,298 times
Is Indianapolis part of the Rust Belt?

Also add Baltimore to that list.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Add on Phoenix and Las Vegas - the Sunbelt is the new Rust Belt

Houston's always had a high crime rate, and rapid population growth within a short period always brings more crime

I think some of the rust belt cities might improve (not all). Milwaukee and Pittsburgh look to be getting better.
Is that why crime is up in NYC and down in Miami?

Old 05-27-2010, 06:49 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,147 times
The real question is how dangerous these cities are relative to the previous decade? My guess is many cities will get safer by gentrification, but that suburbs will get more dangerous (especially inner-ring ones). It also depends on what the overall social trends will be but that will likely effect all cities rather similarly.

An example: I think St. Louis will get progressively safer if current trends continue. The city the last decade has had poorer people leave while middle and upper income people move in. (not uncommon among most cities lately) The only places still losing population are largely the high-crime areas that distort the overall data, now what happens to nearby suburbs is another point of interest.

Also demographic data will determine this as well, an aging population will also make crime less likely.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:51 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,184,507 times
The economy the way it's been the last couple years is making people go crazy, once the economy starts to rise again I think crime will drop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City