Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:27 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,025,701 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to move from California by the end of this year and need to decide between these two cities. Initially I was considering Phoenix and Atlanta but from helpful reviews and comments found that they didn't suit my needs.
Others have recommended Austin TX. But Austin didn't feel right based on what I'm seeking. I believe that there is a "home" for everyone it just takes some work, help from locals and an understanding of what you want in order to find it.

Myself: Liberal minded, very considerate and respectful, not in to violence, hurting others and care passionately about poverty, wars, pollution, famine and humanity as a whole. Something that we can all relate too regardless of political stances. I'm NOT in to the lavish lifestyle involving upscale dance clubs, elegant dining and "trendy" bars.

Instead: I love small cafe's, bars, diners that are eclectic and artsy in feel. Something that has culture and where people can sit down and be themselves. Bargain shopping is a plus: Thrift Stores and 2nd hand movie theaters, poetry readings, used record stores, cheap undiscovered treasures are always fun. An artsy/bohemian environment with students, immigrants, actors, musicians etc... Technically anything but the Yuppie areas.
Love the zoo, museums, parks...just about anything in WALKING DISTANCE.

I hate driving and would prefer a good rail/bus system. Somewhere where I'd be close to everything. Looking to finish my degree in Business/Marketing and work in the financial sector. So the city should have good community colleges and public schools. No Private.

Rent: $600 per mo for a one bedroom in an area mentioned above. Give me the Venice Beach of 1975 before it became a loft/condo empire...lol

Which city would offer the better cost of living and quality of life?
What's the "social culture" like?
Which city has a stronger economy in the financial/marketing sector?
Affordability of higher education and its access via rail/bus?
Which city is less sprawled? I want to stay away from the suburban atmosphere. I just love a lot of culture and urban feel.

Would love to hear your views on the two cities and your comparisons as natives or transplants. I really feel that after all my research and hardwork I narrowed it down to the two best cities to fit my needs. Now it's about picking the "right" one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 09:29 PM

Sorry that's meant to read Houston or Portland...lol

Old 05-26-2007, 09:34 PM

609 posts, read 2,921,492 times
I would go to Houston.
Low cost of living.
Gamma rated global city.
Great winter weather
Great access: two major airports: 1) Intercontinental and 2) Hobby
45 min. from the gulf and the Galveston beaches
Very diverse.
6th largest MSA in the country
4th largest city in the country.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 PM

942 posts, read 1,392,133 times
If you don't like Austin, you may not like Portland, these two cities in particular are compared with each other, and seem to have people living in one move to the other quite frequently. Truthfully I think Portland has a very large crime and drug problem especially with Meth. I think when publications give all these high ratings to places such as Portland, they are doing a grave injustice by not listing the cons of a place. No place is perfect and Portland is made to look way to clean and better than other places. It has alot of beauty but one needs to look below the surface when moving somewhere. I think Houston has alot of crime also, I don't think it is a attractive as a setting as Portland, and I think Houston is a poster child for urban sprawl. I however think it is a cheaper place to live, with more jobs and industries than Portland. Portland is not a cheap place to live anymore it is well on its way to catching up with Calif and the Seattle area. I would go with which place my standard of living was going to be better, and where I did not have to knock myself out as much in making a living, and having something left over to enjoy life with and still a little something to save. That is how I would choose, it all boils down to choosing a place where the struggle to make a living and support yourself comfortably is the easiest on you.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:22 PM

Yes, I couldn't agree more. You have to go where you won't "struggle" to make a living. I think in life we all have to struggle to an extent but I see what you mean, you can't throw your life away just working check to check. There needs to be flexibility and balance to your life. Too be honest, homeless people don't bother in the slightest. If anything, having spent most of my life in "big cities" I have a pretty good understanding/tolerance of the situation. However, there is a big difference between someone asking for help and someone "forcing themselves violently towards you. Never had a problem with homeless people. Gangs and young drug addicts are a different story. Afterall, we're not talking about someone who gets high and lives in peace. So for me it has to do more with behavior as opposed to drug use which is more a personal choice.

Portlant is expensive now? Like California? Oh no, please tell me it ain't so?
How much for a one bedroom apt?
What's the transit system like?
How are the schools?
Are people generally friendly or more to themselves?

Never been to Austin but heard great things about it. I just need a good rail/bus system. Also, I like a condensed city with everything in walking distance. Cali and NY would be great if you weren't forced to spend $1,200 per month on an apartment. Please continue....Share your thoughts as natives. Talk about your communities?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:24 PM

Metroplex- are you from Houston?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:38 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova7 View Post
Sorry that's meant to read Houston or Portland...lol
Suuuuure, we know whats on your mind. LOL j/k of course LOL

Old 05-26-2007, 10:50 PM

Which city has more of a homeless problem? Which has a higher crime rate?

Old 05-26-2007, 10:58 PM

Steve- I really miss Wicker Park and Rogers Park but more Wicker Park. That just felt like home and thank heavens for that "blue line" Chicago is still far better priced than California or NY but it has become quite expensive.

I'm really interested in both Houston and Portland but I don't know if the job opportunities/employment outlook looks good in Portland? The weather and rail seems better in this city. Good political tone/environmental conscious.

Houston-Rich culture, large population, very strong economy but a crappy transportation system, mega sprawl, intense heat.

Why can't we have a city that meets all our needs....lol
It would make relocation so much easier...sheesh

Old 05-26-2007, 11:03 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times
LOL

If they made a city that meets all of our needs, well, then it would probably be the only city in the US, because everyone would live there. LOL

I hate to break it to you, but youre never going to find a area like Wicker Park in Portland or Houston. It sucks and all, but Im just telling you the truth. Of those two cities, Portland probably has more small enclaves like that than Houston does.

I say just move back to Chicago if you loved it so much. Its sunnier than Portland, and cooler than Houston (literally and meteorogically).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City