Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:15 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And see, I can respect an answer like that. You recognize that a controversy over its exact location exists and that there's been no clear consensus on its location, at least at one time (and apparently today, at least from the sources I cited). Thanks for injecting some rationality into the discussion.

But here's a question: do you known why the Midtown Alliance includes BOA Plaza within the Midtown Improvement District?
He said a controversy over it's exact location EXISTED - not exists.

And I gave you an answer like that about 20 posts ago...but you continued to argue about it. But his exact words are "Ok, to just stop this mess. The BoA tower in Atlanta is in SoNo, a neighborhood of Downtown Atlanta." You can accept that from someone else, but apparently not from me...do you have a little crush on me or something? Carolina Blue is gonna be jealous...

Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Don't know why i'm putting my two cnts in ,but here it is:I always thought BOA was in Midtown for the LONGEST time.Since it was built.To ME it appears more so in Midtown than in Downtown ,but I know that OFFICIALLY,it is counted as being in Downtown.Its becasue of the BANKS that have alwasy been traditionally downtown until they were bought and downtown started going downhill .So yes and no.You both are right.Next subject.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:19 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Don't know why i'm putting my two cnts in ,but here it is:I always thought BOA was in Midtown for the LONGEST time.Since it was built.To ME it appears more so in Midtown than in Downtown ,but I know that OFFICIALLY,it is counted as being in Downtown.Its becasue of the BANKS that have alwasy been traditionally downtown until they were bought and downtown started going downhill .So yes and no.You both are right.Next subject.
But you do know that the boundary of Downtown Atlanta is North Avenue, don't you?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And I gave you an answer like that about 20 posts ago...but you continued to argue about it.
Show me where you provided an answer as to why BOA Plaza is located within the boundaries of the Midtown Improvement District when it's actually located in downtown. You never did such a thing.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:23 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,554,748 times
Quote:
I'm just mad cuz you got so many teeth...and I hate polka dots. Ok?
Ok.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:30 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
And see, I can respect an answer like that. You recognize that a controversy over its exact location exists and that there's been no clear consensus on its location, at least at one time (and apparently today, at least from the sources I cited). Thanks for injecting some rationality into the discussion.

But here's a question: do you known why the Midtown Alliance includes BOA Plaza within the Midtown Improvement District?
My guess would be because that stretch of Peachtree from about Olympic monument to North Ave is going to have streetscape improvements added to it that will continue up Peachtree through Midtown. Just easier from a administrative perspective I suppose since the Downtown Improvement District has been focused on Allen Plaza, Marietta Street, Underground, and areas of the GSU campus.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
My guess would be because that stretch of Peachtree from about Olympic monument to North Ave is going to have streetscape improvements added to it that will continue up Peachtree through Midtown. Just easier from a administrative perspective I suppose since the Downtown Improvement District has been focused on Allen Plaza, Marietta Street, Underground, and areas of the GSU campus.
Gotcha; thanks for that answer. So these days, would you say it might be a little more appropriate to call the area around BOA Plaza (Peachtree/North intersection) more of a transition zone than a sharp boundary?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:46 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Gotcha; thanks for that answer. So these days, would you say it might be a little more appropriate to call the area around BOA Plaza (Peachtree/North intersection) more of a transition zone than a sharp boundary?
Nah for me, and officially now, North Ave is the sharp cut off point between Downtown and Midtown. The key is not only the BofA plaza, but Georgia Tech to the west which is entirely in Midtown and always has been, the Bedford Pine Neighborhood to the east which has always been Downtown. The BofA Plaza, and the Crawford Long Medical Center, has been sort of a no-mans land since the highway was built and the former residential neighborhood that was there before was destroyed.

I can understand the confusion people may have though. The BofA tower is only 12 feet away from Midtown

Old 10-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Cool. I wonder if there are any photos out there that show how that area looked before BOA Plaza was built.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
But you do know that the boundary of Downtown Atlanta is North Avenue, don't you?
You know; I do. but I never really thought about it.I just assumed because it is relatively not clustered with the ones downtown,plus i used to think downtown started where Ivan Allen Jr and Peachtree meet.I mean its not with the ones Midtown either really ,so it seems it would not be entirely illogical for one to assume either was
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City