Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:29 PM

474 posts, read 840,102 times

Advertisements

Hello. My wife and I are trying to decide between moving to Portland or Asheville. Both seem like good fits for us. We are in our early 50s and we're tired of living in Texas with the heat and extreme conservatism. I've already done a lot of research and I've read a lot of threads here. We're leaning towards Portland, but two things still concern me: the cost of living and the unfriendliness/closed-mindedness.
The cost of living - we intend to buy a small house with cash for around $100K, so we'll have $2500-3000 for living expenses with no mortgage (also two cars, no payments). Should that be enough to live on? We keep hearing how high the taxes are...
The unfriendliness/closed-mindedness - we're both somewhat introverted, but if we talk to people, are they going to talk back? I also like deep, meaningful conversations and enjoy talking to people with open minds (not with strangers, of course). Also, I'm a Christian, but I usually feel more at home with atheists than many of the Christians I know. To clarify, I'm not worried about fitting in, but about finding friends/people to talk to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:48 PM

353 posts, read 934,342 times
The summers are hotter in Asheville. I believe (not sure) that the daily temperature fluctuations are greater in Asheville.
Oregon's income tax rate is higher, but there is no sales tax.
Where are you going to get a house for 100K in Portland?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Both places are fine for us, weatherwise. As for $100k houses, I've seen a few in Woodstock and Errol Heights on realtor.com. We're just looking for a small 2 bed 1 bath in those areas.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:31 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,559,522 times
Will you need employment? FWIW there are some additional deductions for seniors.

I agree that even a small house in good condition for $100T will be hard to find around Portland. You might find them, however, in some of the semi-rural communities around the area. If you are looking in Portland at a specific house check PortlandMaps where you can see property taxes.

Cost of living is variable, depends on lifestyle. Your budget is modest but many make do with what you indicated. What concerns me is health insurance costs going forward. If you are eligible for TriCare that shouldn't be an issue, and we have a VA hospital & clinics.

Oregon is not at all close minded, where did that come from?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,562,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Both places are fine for us, weatherwise. As for $100k houses, I've seen a few in Woodstock and Errol Heights on realtor.com. We're just looking for a small 2 bed 1 bath in those areas.
I will pretty much guarantee those are short sale houses (so will either not go for that price, or will take at least 6 months to get approval). We looked all over woodstock, and the best we could find last year was a 3 bed about 4 blocks south on 51st. But we lost it to another buyer, even at $116k. It was in need of a good bit of work as well.

If you're handy and are willing to buy a fixer upper, you might be able to find something for 100k. If you're really lucky you might find something right around woodstock (North of Woodstock (town center) is more pricey), so you'll be South or east for sure at the price point.

If you're looking for something that's decently livable (and I have fairly low standards, as in functional, but not updated), it's hard to find much for under $125k in this town, unless you go really far east (at least past 82nd), or maybe south in Clackamas.

FWIW, we settled on a 4 bed 1.5 bath with one car attached garage for $126k, and we're about 1.5 miles from Woodstock. I think we really got a good deal, as this was by far the most "move in house" we saw around that price.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:52 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,982,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
we're tired of living in Texas with the heat and extreme conservatism.

Well it's very HOT in North Carolina, and it is in the Bible Belt and it is very close-minded, conservative and Christian. While Asheville is more progressive than other areas of Western NC, it is still in the south. Three for three regarding the things you DON'T want. You've chose two places on opposite sides of the country. There must be some other more affordable places with the feel you are looking for.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:00 AM

16 posts, read 23,988 times
My sister and her husband lived for 2 or 3 years in NC, just outside of Charlotte. They found it very conservative to the point that they felt uncomfortable, very hot and humid, terrible for outdoor allergies year round and they had trouble meeting people. They purchased a house in a new development and although their neighbors were friendly, they all seemed to be running away from something. It was like Desperate Housewives in real life with affairs and drama and one couple even moved out in the middle of the night.

But, on the other hand, I have a good friend whose parents moved to NC about 10 years ago and are very happy there. They opened a small business and have made some nice friends.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Will you need employment? FWIW there are some additional deductions for seniors.

I agree that even a small house in good condition for $100T will be hard to find around Portland. You might find them, however, in some of the semi-rural communities around the area. If you are looking in Portland at a specific house check PortlandMaps where you can see property taxes.

Cost of living is variable, depends on lifestyle. Your budget is modest but many make do with what you indicated. What concerns me is health insurance costs going forward. If you are eligible for TriCare that shouldn't be an issue, and we have a VA hospital & clinics.

Oregon is not at all close minded, where did that come from?
My wife wants employment, but don't think it will be a problem for her. We'll rent before we buy to give her a chance to find a job, though. And thanks for the tip on PortlandMaps. Yes, I've got TriCare so health insurance isn't a concern. I've read a couple of mentions of closed-mindedness here -- maybe that's not a legitimate concern.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess10 View Post
I will pretty much guarantee those are short sale houses (so will either not go for that price, or will take at least 6 months to get approval). We looked all over woodstock, and the best we could find last year was a 3 bed about 4 blocks south on 51st. But we lost it to another buyer, even at $116k. It was in need of a good bit of work as well.

If you're handy and are willing to buy a fixer upper, you might be able to find something for 100k. If you're really lucky you might find something right around woodstock (North of Woodstock (town center) is more pricey), so you'll be South or east for sure at the price point.

If you're looking for something that's decently livable (and I have fairly low standards, as in functional, but not updated), it's hard to find much for under $125k in this town, unless you go really far east (at least past 82nd), or maybe south in Clackamas.

FWIW, we settled on a 4 bed 1.5 bath with one car attached garage for $126k, and we're about 1.5 miles from Woodstock. I think we really got a good deal, as this was by far the most "move in house" we saw around that price.
Yes, most I saw were short sale. Does that mean they go to the highest bidder or something? Do homes in Portland usually go for higher than the asking price, or will they come down on the price? We've bought a few houses in several parts of the country, but we've always bought houses for less than the asking price.

We are somewhat handy -- we've fixed up a few houses, but nothing major. We're perfectly ok with functional, but not updated.

Yes, further out is ok, too. 122nd and close to Burnside would be fine, as anywhere out but close to Max would work.

Congrats on finding your house. Sounds great.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamitrail View Post
Well it's very HOT in North Carolina, and it is in the Bible Belt and it is very close-minded, conservative and Christian. While Asheville is more progressive than other areas of Western NC, it is still in the south. Three for three regarding the things you DON'T want. You've chose two places on opposite sides of the country. There must be some other more affordable places with the feel you are looking for.
Let me first say where I'm coming from. Here in Abilene, Texas, we had 80 days last year over 100 degrees. Asheville is in a higher elevation and much cooler than here. Abilene is also the third most conservative city in the U.S. -- to move to a progressive city like Asheville would be a breath of fresh air, even if it isn't as progressive as Portland.

We love the mountains and want to be near them, but we don't want it too cold -- Denver would be too cold for us. We've lived in Park City, so we know what cold is like. So, progressive, close to the mountains, and mild winters and summers is what we're looking for, and Portland and Asheville are the only two possibilities that we've found. Eugene sounds great too, but we'd rather be in Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City