Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 06:41 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
More facts!! Nooooooo!!!!

Go South
The fastest growing MSA's numerically since 2000 are:

Dallas/Fort Worth- 1.3 million
Atlanta- 1.15 million
Phoenix- 1.08 million
Houston- Just over one million
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:51 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
I could of made a list of educated guesses and still would of came up with a similar list.

I'm not the type to flock with all these people that move to these places though.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
It seems like an okay list to me. Nothing really surprising.

In spite of its flaws and the hate that it gets on this board, there will always be someone in the Midwest or Northeast shoveling snow out of their driveway who dreams of moving to Florida.

Also, as a native San Diegan who lives in Atlanta, I'm quite shocked and insulted at how some posters are knocking the city. Yes, it IS expensive, and the pay sucks there (compared to other California cities), but there is just something about that place I just can't shake, even though I haven't lived there in years.

I'm not surprised to see Denver on the list either. It's a popular place to relocated, particularly from West Coasters, and there are quite a few former Georgians who have made that move to the mile-high city. I don't understand why people seem to be so shocked by that. Not everyone is in love with the Sunbelt, just as not everyone is not going to be in love with NYC.

I've been here in Atlanta for the past 3 years and in general, I like the place, but I can totally understand why someone else could be here and absolutely hate it. Different strokes for different folks. Not everything is for everyone.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:30 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
It seems like an okay list to me. Nothing really surprising.

In spite of its flaws and the hate that it gets on this board, there will always be someone in the Midwest or Northeast shoveling snow out of their driveway who dreams of moving to Florida.

Also, as a native San Diegan who lives in Atlanta, I'm quite shocked and insulted at how some posters are knocking the city. Yes, it IS expensive, and the pay sucks there (compared to other California cities), but there is just something about that place I just can't shake, even though I haven't lived there in years.

I'm not surprised to see Denver on the list either. It's a popular place to relocated, particularly from West Coasters, and there are quite a few former Georgians who have made that move to the mile-high city. I don't understand why people seem to be so shocked by that. Not everyone is in love with the Sunbelt, just as not everyone is not going to be in love with NYC.

I've been here in Atlanta for the past 3 years and in general, I like the place, but I can totally understand why someone else could be here and absolutely hate it. Different strokes for different folks. Not everything is for everyone.
Let some of the Georgians speak for themselves. I find San Diego to be one of the most beautiful places in America. This is coming from a native Atlantan too! I love my hometown as well. There is just something about Atlanta that I can't shake either.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:57 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Let some of the Georgians speak for themselves. I find San Diego to be one of the most beautiful places in America. This is coming from a native Atlantan too! I love my hometown as well. There is just something about Atlanta that I can't shake either.

I've been debating about settling here in Atlanta and finally putting down some roots, or leaving to move somewhere else. I have a sneaky feeling that if I were to move, I'd eventually come back to Atlanta.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:01 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Not at all. We know we have something special with LA. Its the second largest city in the US and 13th largest MSA in the world. Most of the time we dont care what the media or all these lists have to say about us.
Size ain't everything! McDonalds now sells a 1/3 pound burger, but I'd rather have a White Castle burger.

Old 10-06-2009, 11:04 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,576,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I could of made a list of educated guesses and still would of came up with a similar list.

I'm not the type to flock with all these people that move to these places though.
Me neither. 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 flies eat s%#t, how can they be wrong?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:11 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,732 times
Those numbers mean nothing. A fast-growing city does not necessarily mean a good quality of life. In fact, according to the Places Rated Almanac of 2009, all those cities ranked among the BOTTOM in liveability. The more people, the more problems. Phoenix is probably the absolute worst and has been among the fastest-growing. I dont like it at all. What used to attract people into the area is now making them want to move. It has become overrun with traffic, crime, pollution, etc. Bigger and faster-growing is NOT better. I prefer smaller to medium-sized areas.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:56 PM

804 posts, read 2,401,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
What is that last pick? It looks awesome.
It's the Getty it's a very beautifull museum here in LA.

here a wikipedia link to learn more about it. Try to google image it too, it's a real nice place.
Getty Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxposure View Post
It must be hard to be an Angeleno sometimes when polls like this have people salivating all over your siblings (San Francisco and San Diego), and more or less dismissing LA.

yeah I know it irks me.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Size ain't everything! McDonalds now sells a 1/3 pound burger, but I'd rather have a White Castle burger.

Ehh...White Castle burgers taste good, but they smell like dog food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City