Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is best known?
Fort Collins 0 0%
Greeley 0 0%
Boulder 62 53.45%
Aurora 1 0.86%
Colorado Springs 52 44.83%
Pueblo 1 0.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,998,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipchik View Post
No, not really. I graduated from CU. NO ONE called it Colorado University
This is true. I'm also a CU grad, and I never once heard it called that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,448,391 times
I was about to vote for Denver but I'll say Boulder is the second. It was the JonBenét Ramsey case that brought Boulder to my attention. Apparently some say it is its own metro area separate from Denver.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 AM

In Boulder they consider themselves a separate metro area. I consider it part of the Denver area. Or as the U.S. Census Bureau would call it, the Denver, Aurora, Boulder CSA.
If you can drive from Denver to Boulder without really leaving town for more than a couple miles, it's part of the same city. Just my opinion though.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:09 AM

457 posts, read 1,108,737 times
I have never been to any of them, and I don't have a well formed opinion about any of them...
but here is what I think of them (regardless of actual accuracy)

If I were to rank them:
1) Co Spring- 2 largest metro area, air force academy, big conservative Christian center. I think of this as being Colorado's only other sizable city.
2) Bolder- I would say this was a close 2nd. Liberal, college town. Cosmopolitan for a city its size, High quality of life. High technology economy.
3) Pueblo- growing city, smaller version of Colorado Springs.
4) Ft. Collins- western city, I think it has a university, maybe an military base?
5) Aurora- big suburb of Denver. Growing/ vibrant economy.
6) Greeley- I honestly have no idea where this even is??

I would like to actually go out and visit sometime.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:17 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
Every time I go there that's all I ever hear it called. BTW I live 15 minutes from the place and I go there three to four times a year, often more. Also fyi I'm enrolled as a student there to earn college credits in High School. CU--Colorado University is all they ever call it.
Suuuuure they do.
I got my masters degree from the UNIVERSITY OF COLORADO. I still know some of the professors. No one ever referred to it as Colorado University.
But hey, you're 17 and you know it all. So... carry on.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:24 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times
Just to reiterate it, CU is never ever called "Colorado University" as that is simply not the name of the school, The University of Colorado. I don't know how it got the letters as "CU", but amongst my friends from Mass, a suprising number of whom go to school there, it's usually just called "Boulder" or "CU". I guess I didn't need to get in the argument since other people have far closer connections to the school but I have never in my life heard it called Colorado University and felt I had to chime in.

PS- Gunna be out in Boulder for spring break. any recommendations on what must be experienced? (skiing and partying are already a given)

Old 01-18-2010, 04:25 PM

670 posts, read 1,172,455 times
In answer to questions as to why the University of CO is referred to as CU...
From the CU Buffs site:
Why is the University of Colorado known as CU and not UC or U of C?
The same applies at Kansas-KU, Missouri-MU, Nebraska-NU, Oklahoma-OU and Denver-DU. "Midwestern casualness," says former CU historian Fred Casotti. It has always been this way at the University of Colorado, for whatever reason, and at the other five listed above--but seemingly nowhere else in the USA. In the 1950s, there was a concerted effort to eliminate the use of "CU" on the Boulder campus, both as a symbol and in speech, but Casotti said that no one would buy into it. "It's easier to say than U of C, UC sounds like slang or something (as in 'you see'), and it was traditional. By trying to eliminate it, they reinforced it."

A friend who works there told me that he always thought it was to avoid confusion with the University of California. Their campuses are referred to as "UC"; UCLA, UC Davis, UC Berkeley, etc.

Last edited by Hipchik; 01-18-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,456,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
I have never been to any of them, and I don't have a well formed opinion about any of them...
but here is what I think of them (regardless of actual accuracy)

If I were to rank them:
1) Co Spring- 2 largest metro area, air force academy, big conservative Christian center. I think of this as being Colorado's only other sizable city.
2) Bolder- I would say this was a close 2nd. Liberal, college town. Cosmopolitan for a city its size, High quality of life. High technology economy.
3) Pueblo- growing city, smaller version of Colorado Springs.
4) Ft. Collins- western city, I think it has a university, maybe an military base?
5) Aurora- big suburb of Denver. Growing/ vibrant economy.
6) Greeley- I honestly have no idea where this even is??

I would like to actually go out and visit sometime.
Pueblo is far from a "smaller version of Colorado Springs". We are the economic and shoping center for 16 counties and have many large industries here and more moving all the time. Colroado Springs is a military and relgious city and is not a hub for more then the metro area.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM

450 posts, read 1,406,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Pueblo is far from a "smaller version of Colorado Springs". We are the economic and shoping center for 16 counties and have many large industries here and more moving all the time. Colroado Springs is a military and relgious city and is not a hub for more then the metro area.
Well the Colorado Springs Metro Area is a more important region to be a hub for as it has 611,000 residents.

Pueblo and the 16 counties surrounding it have the following SMALL populations
: Pueblo- 154,000
: Ortero- 20,100
: Crowley- 5,500
: Las Animas- 15,000
: Huerfano-7,800
: Custer- 3,500
: Fremont- 46,000
: Bent- 5,900
: Baca- 3,800
: Prowers- 13,100
: Kiowa- 1,300
: Costilla- 3,300
: Alamosa- 15,400
: Saguache- 7,000
: Cheyenne- 1,749
: Lincoln- 5,200

The population of Pueblo and its currounding counties is only 308,000. Colorado Springs city limits alone have 380,000 not includong the metro area.

I would say Colorado Springs serving 611,000 residents in its metro is more important that Pueblo trying to serve 308,000 largely rural region residents in low population counties. The fact is, Pueblo is smaller than Colorado Springs, even with 16 counties. Pueblo is over 100 miles away from many of these counties too, so residents might visit Pueblo once a month, if that.

-Also what are the "large industries in Pueblo???" The fact is nobody except you has really heard about it, just look at the poll.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
GDP comparison based off of 2008. These are for MSA, not city proper.
Pueblo: $4 billion, ranked 309th nationally. Not bad.
Colorado Springs: $24.1 billion, ranked 86th nationally. Again, not bad.

Colorado Springs MSA is roughly four times larger than Pueblo, but has a GDP roughly six times larger. Pueblo's rate of economic growth in 2008 was 3.6%, slightly above Colorado Springs at 3.2%. Keep in mind, the larger the economy, the larger 1% is going to be as well. Thus Pueblo's economy grew by $14,400,000 in 2008, Colorado Springs by $77,120,000. Both out-paced the national average.

What I think this shows us is that Colorado Springs, as much as you may hate to admit it, is very much the hub of Southern Colorado. In terms of size, productivity, amenities, and even national prominence there isn't another city in Southern Colorado that even comes close.

I have relatives that live in Southern Colorado, and I can tell you that they and many family friends consider Colorado Springs, not Pueblo, the premier city in the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City