Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2022, 11:57 PM

1,046 posts, read 689,005 times

Advertisements

Was just recently back in the region and my wife and I looked at these three cities as possible places to move to and to raise our baby daughter. How do they compare using the following criteria:

1. Schools
2. Job prospects
3. Nightlife for middle aged people - Long gone are my days of going to a club, getting plowed and hoping to get lucky. Just would like to find a few places with after work drinks.
4. Downtown vibrancy
5. Things for kids to do
6. Access to nature
7. Social safety net
8. Crime
9. Climate

And if you can think of anything I'm missing that would be helpful.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2022, 04:49 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Keene is kind of a backwater. It’s New Hampshire so there is minimal social safety net by northeastern US standards. It’s far beyond the Boston MSA jobs market so it’s socioeconomically challenged.

I had a college roommate from Glenns Falls. I’ve driven through it many times from all the years I wintered at Killington and needed to drive down the northway. It’s also well beyond the Albany economic influence.

I used to live in Northampton for a brief time. It acts as a bedroom town for Springfield healthcare people. The immediate Springfield suburbs like Longmeadow are a real snooze so a lot of 5%er Springfield people opt for a 30 minute commute to live in a place with a pulse. A vibrant Main Street. Smith College. Amenities like Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s across the river. Vermont skiing is ~ 90 minutes.

I dated someone at Skidmore years ago but I have no recent experience with Saratoga. Incomes are a bit higher than Northampton because Albany is a far stronger economy than Springfield. Education level is similar. Because of Albany, there are jobs beyond colleges and hospitals.

I could get to my boat from Northampton in 2 hours and a couple of minutes. Saratoga Springs doesn’t have that access. Other than that, I think Saratoga is the better option. Montreal and NYC are both 3 hours. Albany is a way better city than Springfield. Both have good schools.

Old 08-22-2022, 05:26 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Keene is kind of a backwater. It’s New Hampshire so there is minimal social safety net by northeastern US standards. It’s far beyond the Boston MSA jobs market so it’s socioeconomically challenged.
Keene is not socio-economically challenged by any stretch. Is it a boomtown of F500 HQs? No. But it is a solidly middle-class town with a solidly average job market. One of the largest privately held companies in America, C&S Wholesale, is based there, and several other companies have satellite offices there, plus Keene State College.

Old 08-22-2022, 05:29 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Keene is not socio-economically challenged by any stretch. Is it a boomtown of F500 HQs? No. But it is a solidly middle-class town with a solidly average job market. One of the largest privately held companies in America, C&S Wholesale, is based there, and several other companies have satellite offices there, plus Keene State College.
Nonsense. It’s flyover country economics.

Old 08-22-2022, 06:26 AM

14,029 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Most people don’t end up in the C-Suite. “Flyover country” supports tons of good jobs.

Old 08-22-2022, 07:02 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Saratoga County is one of the fastest growing counties in NY State and it has a Global Foundries facility in Malta. It does have Saratoga Lake just outside of Saratoga Springs and Lake George just to the north in the Glens Falls area(they are only like 25-30 minutes away). Since it is in the Albany metro area, it is also close to employers in other parts of the metro area.

It also has nightlife that goes to about 4 am and it is close to the Adirondacks. There is an amusement park in Queensbury outside of Glens Falls. Lake George is a nice resort town nearby as well.

Old 08-22-2022, 09:41 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,490,892 times
Quote:
Not factually accurate, but ok.....

Again, it's a solidly middle-class area that, while not bristling with abundant opportunity, is not a rusting away old factory town.

Companies/institutions with offices in the area include: C&S Wholesale Grocers, PC Connection, Markem-Imaje, G.S. Precision, Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center, Smith Medicals, etc.

You also have Keene State College and the local school district providing a variety of middle class jobs as well.

You just don't know what you're talking about.

Last edited by MB1562; 08-22-2022 at 09:59 AM..

Old 08-23-2022, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
That's what I was thinking. It seems to have some jobs, and it seems to be the center of its own region - That means it's the job and entertainment center for the region.

But I also agree with Geoff when talking about NH. The state has minimal social safety net compared to the rest of the Northeast, and with how expensive the property taxes are in that city, I'm not sure if it would be worth it to live there.

Still, it was my favorite of all four of those cities that I visited.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:22 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,090,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Saratoga County is one of the fastest growing counties in NY State and it has a Global Foundries facility in Malta. It does have Saratoga Lake just outside of Saratoga Springs and Lake George just to the north in the Glens Falls area(they are only like 25-30 minutes away). Since it is in the Albany metro area, it is also close to employers in other parts of the metro area.

It also has nightlife that goes to about 4 am and it is close to the Adirondacks. There is an amusement park in Queensbury outside of Glens Falls. Lake George is a nice resort town nearby as well.
My friend's family used to have a house right on Sacandaga Lake. This was back in the early-mid 90's. We used to go up there from North Jersey in August. We'd go over to Saratoga race track, put some bets down, cruise around town, and go out on his boat jet skiing and tubing. It's actually a really nice lake from what I remember.

Old 09-06-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
My friend's family used to have a house right on Sacandaga Lake. This was back in the early-mid 90's. We used to go up there from North Jersey in August. We'd go over to Saratoga race track, put some bets down, cruise around town, and go out on his boat jet skiing and tubing. It's actually a really nice lake from what I remember.
Saratoga Springs has a lot of what we're looking for. A small city, but has good access to nature.

Is the rush hour traffic to Albany bad? Would Ballston Spa be a good, cheaper alternative?

Last edited by MrDee12345; 09-06-2022 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City