Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area of the United States do you prefer?
California 63 40.38%
Mid-Atlantic (NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC) 93 59.62%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:19 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I never realized how many New Jersians dislike New York(ers), I know this is just online though, the feeling isn't mutual. You don't think NYers get mad when people call NJ something like a "black-smoke polluted cesspool pit"?
When I was young, being from Manhattan, I admit I would look down on not just NJ and even upstate NY, but even the boroughs. We were so "superior" to everyone else. Then I moved to Queens. Then I started travelling with my husband and later with my kids for pleasure and their sports. We went to so many places. As I said we spent so much time in New Jersey for soccer and later ice hockey, that we used to joke we could declare residency. We also went to upstate NY.

There are very beautiful areas in all these places. People are really just people. If you take the time to be nice to them, they will be nice to you also.

I honestly have to say if not my kids travel sports, I would never have experienced what I did, and changed my views of these areas entirely.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:53 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
There is a LOT of natural scenery in the Northeast/Mid-atlantic. You don't get foliage in California like you do here. Here is what our mountains look like, in NJ:

Ah, can somebody tell me how to post a pic IN the body of the post?
There should be an insert image tag on the top of the textbox (its a yellow box with a mountain and a small circle in it). Just enter in the URL of the image in there, and it should post onto the page.

Anyways, why do people on the East Coast assume that California is just a 10-15 mile strip of Coastal Southern California, between LA and San Diego? There are so many forests around the area I currently live in, its not even funny.

Redwood Regional Park | East Bay Regional Park District
This is in the City of Oakland!
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=12858412

This is where I went to class, when I was still a student all those years ago at UC Berkeley

Walking the Line — Bay Nature Institute
http://baynature.org/articles/oct-dec-2008/walking-the-line/8_585-Karachewski-3051_%20Hayward%20fault%20UC%20Berkeley_edited-2.jpg (broken link)

There's plenty of foliage here.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 PM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
California as a state can't be touched, but the northeast is too tough. I would rather live in Cali, but NY, Philly, Boston, Jersey, and DC that's a very economically strong region with great ivy league education and technology.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:31 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
History is another debatable thing,California has a s*** load of it,different and maybe not as old as the Mid Atlantic's though.Should say I'm not trying to start a debate either,I know even history can be an opinion and America history starts with Mid Atlantic,just saying California didn't just pop up 200 years ago it's been inhabited for 10k+ years.
ALOT of Spaniard and Mexican history in CA(missions, architecture etc), also pre-Columbian native American history.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:30 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,885,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
ALOT of Spaniard and Mexican history in CA(missions, architecture etc), also pre-Columbian native American history.
I think its also a matter of the subject of history. When people here think history, they think colonial era and the various things that you learn about in grade school

Old 02-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I think its also a matter of the subject of history. When people here think history, they think colonial era and the various things that you learn about in grade school
http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/docum...socscistnd.pdf

In 4th grade, California school state standards have young students learn about the Spanish influence here in great detail(look at page 16). In fact, I built a model mission in 4th grade based on Mission San Fernando (which is still at my house). Nothing about the Northeast in depth until the 5th grade. I'm sure its the same in every other state learning about their own state before learning about the US as a whole.

Stop assuming that your conception of history is the same as everyone's in the United States.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Pretty much the entire country has alot of "pre-Columbian native American history" not just California. What was special about the California Indians was not so much the history, but the outstanding cultural diversity. Before the Spanish Missions came, the California tribes were divided into 100 or so different language and dialects!

Unfortunately many of the tribes were later wiped out like Ishi, last of the Yana Indians.

The Spanish Missions themselves are very interesting historically and for the effect they had on California history and especially architecture. But while they are important to California, they would be just ONE historical aspect among many if they were located in say the North or the South.

Consider that there was only about 20+ missions total in a land of California's size, with the first one being founded about 1769. By that date, there were already 20 independent towns (townships), many of them already over 100 years old, JUST ON LONG ISLAND.

Now if that is just on an island, than think about what was going on at the time in New England, Canada, the Middle Colonies, the South, Florida, Louisana etc.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:52 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,159 times
The NE was definitely colonizing and growing sooner and faster than us as the Europeans made settlements there first (of course). Though I saw this map from 1650 I thought was funny showing it as an island,and definitely has some places named,believe I see Monterey and Santa Barbara,but I think they where just places explored since no known European settlements came about till the 1700's.

Also I believe the oldest known skeleton in America was found on Santa Rosa Island off of California and suspected to be around 10,000 years old. Both places really have amazing history.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

Cali has a lot of tall brown mountains and the Mid-Atlantic has medium (some tall) green ones. California's climate diversity is extreme (climate can totally change within 100 miles). The Mid-Atlantic has multiple climates as well but they're more broad, the coastal Mid-Atlantic (Long Island/NYC to VA) and 50-100 miles inland is all Humid Subtropical and further inland its Humid Continental, etc. I personally dislike 4 season climates so the Mid-Atlantic TO ME is only nice in the Spring and Summer.

I don't know which is better (so I choose not to vote at this time) but I'd rather live in Cali (reason stated above).
Haha, I just came back to LA today for a visit. It was a nice 70 degrees, 30% humidity with clear skies. Quite a contrast from the drizzling mess I left back in the Bay Area, but supposedly it was going to be nice this weekend. Guess I won't know until I get back.

Apparently, California has 16 different climate zones according to the California Energy Commission (this is guideline the energy companies around here use)
Energy Maps of California
Guide to California Climate Zones

I grew up around Climate Zone 9, which is weird because the baseline for that is downtown LA and the San Fernando Valley is usually a lot warmer than downtown. In fact, summers here are extremely hot and dry.
http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdf...te_zone_09.pdf

In terms of plant climate, Sunset gives California 24 climate zones while the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast has 11.
Sunset climate zones: California/Nevada - Sunset.com
Sunset climate zones: Northeast - Sunset.com

Anyways, I don't know how the Mid-Atlantic got its name, because on the East Coast the southernmost post at Key West is at 24N, while the northernmost point in Maine is around 47N. The middle point along the Atlantic Coast, geographically speaking, would be in North Carolina. Culturally speaking, I can see how it makes sense (south of New England, north of the Mason-Dixon line), but even then it still doesn't make that much sense.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:39 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Personally, I could never understand how the state of NY with it's northern most point bordering CANADA can be considred the Mid-Atlantic anyway. Maybe NYC, but not all the of the state. I always thought of the STATE of NY as being the Northeast.
Good point. Much of the upstate area looks and feels more like New England than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City