Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: London or New York?
London 23 46.94%
New York 26 53.06%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM

165 posts, read 605,394 times

Advertisements

Which is better overall? Which is better in certain areas? (eg. quality of life, shopping etc.)

Old 03-29-2009, 02:31 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
i have never been to london, but i would not want to live out of the u.s.

i could not live without my nfl, mlb, nba, and nhl among other things that would be missed if moving outside of the u.s.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
i have never been to london, but i would not want to live out of the u.s.

i could not live without my nfl, mlb, nba, and nhl among other things that would be missed if moving outside of the u.s.
You could always get satellite television. I watched American TV when I was in Europe.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:00 PM

83 posts, read 279,929 times
Moved from one to the other a few years back - you are comparing Apples and Steak. Both are incredible, and have little in common other than the fact they will startle tourists from Tennessee with mixed drinks that cost over $12.

And yes, you can get American sports in the UK - in fact, you can get your choice of 6 NFL games every Sunday, in HD, for about $7 a month extra. Not that you will need it, as cricket in HD is life changing.....

Old 03-29-2009, 05:09 PM

165 posts, read 605,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuato View Post
Moved from one to the other a few years back - you are comparing Apples and Steak. Both are incredible, and have little in common other than the fact they will startle tourists from Tennessee with mixed drinks that cost over $12.

And yes, you can get American sports in the UK - in fact, you can get your choice of 6 NFL games every Sunday, in HD, for about $7 a month extra. Not that you will need it, as cricket in HD is life changing.....
what advantages are unique to each city?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:08 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
If you have money, you really can live in the middle of everything (i.e., Manhattan). You can't do that in London, which is much more spread out. New Yorkers complain about a 30 minute commute. The average commute in London is closer to an hour. London is walkable in that there's great street life and public transportation, but it's not the same as Manhattan. Very few people can walk to work or to see a show in London. That's quite common in Manhattan.

Things change radically once you leave Manhattan, however. Living in Brooklyn (Park Slope, for example) and commuting to Midtown, is much closer to a London experience.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,917,607 times
I think some people are really comparing London with Manhattan instead of NYC. It's true that nothing beats Manhattan for its energy but it's only a small part of NY with "only" a population of 1.5 million.

London
advantage over NYC:
-much better beer (top-notch real-Ale and various European brews)
-better international travel opportunities:Paris and Brussels are both 2hr direct train rides away.
-slightly milder winters
-richer and longer history:Tower of London, St. Paul's, Westminster, need I say more?
-stronger Arab and Indian presence (if that is your thing), including their food.
-if you are from Europe London will be closer to family and friends
-much stronger soccer (football) culture.

NYC
advantage over London:
-Since most of us are Americans being in a city in our own country is it's own advantage.
-More sunshine (unless you are in Manhattan).
-more convenient taxi system.
-much stronger Latino presence (if that is your thing)
-better cuisine (although London is catching up)
-much better skylin
-more options if you're into U.S. pro or college sports.

Other points: Both cities have excellent public transportation. Both could use some infrastructure improvement but I think the subway needs it more than the Tube (London Underground). NY subway is longer and reaches more stations than the Tube but is dirtier and less user-friendly. The tube's lines are easily understood (aside from the Circle, and Hammersmith lines of course) unlike the subway's bewildering express trains and its mix of lines being named for numbers and letters. Also, I assume NY has something similar but in London you can conveniently get on the Piccadilly Line from Heathrow airport and be in central London in 45 min without getting out of your seat.

NYC will kill you with tolls but Central London has a congestion charge during busy times. Pick your poison here...

I don't know which city has more green-space but they differ in layout. NYC has the huge Central Park
but London has multiple good-size parks like Hyde Park and Regent's Park. Both cities have an annoying amount of upper-class poodle carrying. Both cities are extremely important to global finance.

Seriously, google NYC vs London-this topic is of interest to many others. I'd choose London but I may be more inclined to live abroad than most others.

Old 03-31-2009, 03:47 AM

156 posts, read 378,319 times
Thanks decafdave.

Of course NYC subway is more "spartan" then the Tube because it's less subsidized and actually having many years of surplus since the 90's until the eco-meltdown. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/27/ny...-006.html?_r=1

Old 02-14-2010, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 41,216 times
London > New York

Old 02-14-2010, 07:49 PM

116 posts, read 83,967 times
London just edges it for me, but it's close.

It's older, slightly more cosmopolitan and generally more friendly, with more in the way of historical (and other) attractions. When it comes to having an amazing skyline though, New York wins. If it were based on being the most photogenic, I think I'd have a bit more fun with my camera in New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City