Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2010, 01:13 AM

146 posts, read 399,443 times

Advertisements

If Jacksonville doesn't get its act together, they'll move the team to L.A.

NFL: L.A., Toronto.

NBA: Duh, Louisville. We've been wanting one for years, and I'd go to the games.

NHL: Memphis.

MLB: Montreal. MLB is the hardest for a city to support, so it would have to be a pretty big city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 01:25 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,951,348 times
The NFL should pack up the Jags, go on I-10 and head West all the way til they reach Los Angeles, and plant them there.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,856,245 times
NHL: Houston, Seattle, Portland, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Kansas City

NFL: Los Angeles, Toronto

MLB: Montreal, Vancouver, Indianapolis

NBA: St Louis, Kansas City, Cincinatti

Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,352,002 times
Keep the NFL out of Canada.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:35 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,880,875 times
^SERIOUSLY, and England/Europe!

Old 08-06-2010, 05:18 PM

1,080 posts, read 2,269,650 times
Quote:
Keep the NFL out of Canada.
Can't like this enough! please, please, please don't let the Bills move to Toronto!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:00 AM

29 posts, read 53,960 times
Hmm. Even though nobody's posted here for over a year, I think that pro sports in states like Nebraska or Kansas is kind of ridiculous (my apologies to Omaha). Virginia's population (8,001,024) is almost as large as the populations of Kansas, Nebraska, and Oklahoma COMBINED (8,266,110). I also agree with a poster who said many moons ago that Williamsburg would be a decent place to put a team, but ot's a bit too far from Norfolk's and Richmond's downtowns. However, major work would have to be done on (a) a stadium and (b) I-64, considering that people going to Busch Gardens completely clog it up on a busy day.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,336,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I don't think Southerners really understand how badly having these poor excuses for hockey franchises down South really bugs us. Seriously, most people down there really don't give a crap about hockey. Think if suddenly LSU, Bama, Texas, Florida, and UGA football were taken from you and placed in Montreal or Toronto because it's a "bigger market". That would be ridiculous because football is your sport and fans in Canada, outside of a select few, wouldn't really give two ****s about the team.

Cities in Canada and the Northern US (like St Paul, Buffalo, and Detroit) have that kind of loyalty to NHL teams. Taking teams away from Minnesota, Hartford, Winnipeg, and Quebec has been devestating to millions of fans and most people who grow loving hockey are very skeptical and distrustful of the NHL. Gary Bettman has ruined the NHL. Hockey is still a great sport with millions of fans, but the NHL has fallen off the radar because the teams are not located where the fans are.

Hockey will always be about as successful in the south as football will be in Canada. The NFL, unlike the NHL, is smart enough to realize this. And people wonder why the NHL has gone down the crapper. There are too many Southern teams and the season shouldn't last past March.
So full of passion and opinion, so lacking in factual information and perspective.

You realize that many of the northern US markets were once considered "non-traditional markets," right?

You realize fanbases and support don't grow overnight, right? It takes years, even decades to build that kind of support. And why would the NHL expand in the north, where there is already a saturated fanbase? You want the NHL to be competitive with the other big sports leagues? Well it will have to have a nationwide presence. You grow the sport by expanding the base.

You talk about teams moving away from places like Hartford, Winnipeg, and Quebec...as if it was evil Gary Bettman who marched into those cities and stole their hockey franchises. You don't think economics played a role in that equation? In Winnipeg and Quebec, they moved because it was no longer financially viable to be there, because the Canadian dollar was in the toilet. Now that the looney is stronger, *poof* Winnipeg gets their team back. Oh, and his evilness Mr. Bettman stated that he would like to see the NHL go BACK to the places it has been before (i.e. Quebec) BEFORE considering other markets. So goes that theory....

Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 AM

3 posts, read 7,274 times
Kansas City,MO can have the Charlotte Bobcats and Charlotte can get the Royals. Me personally I would rather get the Rays from the Tampa area. It does not look like they are getting a new stadium anytime soon. The reason I think Charlotte can support a MLB team is the Bobcats NBA season starts an ends in Nov and when the actual season ends in early May or late April there is nothing to do here during the summer time. I would rather see the Charlotte Rays play the Yankees or the Red Sox instead of the Charlotte Knights which is the AAA team of the White Sox play the Columbus Clippers or the Toledo Mud Hens. How can anyone be excited about playing the Mudhens?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themurph75 View Post
Kansas City,MO can have the Charlotte Bobcats and Charlotte can get the Royals. Me personally I would rather get the Rays from the Tampa area. It does not look like they are getting a new stadium anytime soon. The reason I think Charlotte can support a MLB team is the Bobcats NBA season starts an ends in Nov and when the actual season ends in early May or late April there is nothing to do here during the summer time. I would rather see the Charlotte Rays play the Yankees or the Red Sox instead of the Charlotte Knights which is the AAA team of the White Sox play the Columbus Clippers or the Toledo Mud Hens. How can anyone be excited about playing the Mudhens?
They can't even get enough funding to move the Knights out of Fort Mill to uptown Charlotte for a minor league park, how are they going to get approval to build a MLB stadium that costs hundreds of millions more than that??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.