Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 06:56 PM

148 posts, read 234,268 times

Advertisements

Does anyone mind doing a comparison of these cities for me? I'm moving to the Northeast soon but have been a Southerner my whole life and am not familiar with the area. I don't have a choice on where I can move, but I was just curious how my future home will compare to other similar-sized cities in the region. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 AM

2,347 posts, read 2,784,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinginjune2010 View Post
Does anyone mind doing a comparison of these cities for me? I'm moving to the Northeast soon but have been a Southerner my whole life and am not familiar with the area. I don't have a choice on where I can move, but I was just curious how my future home will compare to other similar-sized cities in the region. Thanks!
May I ask which city you have to move to?

Providence is a great city. Full of life, restaruants, clubs, bars, galleries, museums, great colleges (with the life to accompany them), beautful residential areas. I went to college there. About an hour commuter train ride to downtown Boston. The beaches are an hour (or less) to the south. Great public transportation, and a great downtown area, with parks and a river. Google 'Waterfire'.

New Haven is the most like Providence, a litte smaller. A little less to do. Life would be dominated by Yale. New Haven and Hartford have pretty bad crime rates for a northeastern city. Hartford is worse. The subrubs are nice. I live north of Hartford in Springfield. Did you consider Western Massachusetts. There is Northampton and Amherst. All the charm of a New England town. Hartford has a large downtown home to a ton of large corportations and insurance companies, but it's deserted after 5pm unless there is an event. It also has a terrible reputation. Most of the office workers escape to their suburbs at that time. Check out West Harford, a very charming suburb about 5 mins from downtown.

Portland is the smallest and furthest away from any other major city. About a two hour drive, albeit you can take the train to North Station Boston. Great downtown and old New England seaport. But a ton of bars, it might be boring after a few weeks. Small metro area (urban area). Maine is for people who love outdoor activities.

If you have a choice, look into Providence, then New Haven (which is only a 90min train ride to Manhattan-if you like). But I would look at Worcester too, much like Providence and about 30 mins from Boston. But I would check out Springfield/Northampton too. Much lower COL that still offers many of the same experiences that a New Haven or Worcester will, but with a stronger sense of regional identity.

You'll find in general, that New Englanders keep to themselves. But you'll most likely have and meet wonderful neighbors. A lot of people complain about New Englanders being rude and arrogant. The easiest way to disprove that is to just get involved in the community you move to, most town has tons of events every week. I will be sure most people will be quite interested in learning about where you're from too.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:51 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
I live in Warwick, 10 minutes from Downtown Providence. It's a beautiful area. Providence has milder winters than Portland would in fact we always seem to get less snow then the rest of the area. Providence has some bad areas. It also has nice restaurants, bars and shopping areas. Great Hospitals RI has a food culture that is even unique to the rest of New England.
The economy is terrible as are unemployment rates
We are leaving and going somewhere warmer due to health reasons, otherwise it's a wonderful place to live

Old 04-13-2010, 10:52 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
What's your budget, your career, etc.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,817,095 times
Hartford--One of the most dangerous capitols in the nation.
New Haven--Pretty decent. There's some pretty rough, gritty areas in it though.
Providence-- The best choice here. Probably one of the best Capitols in the nation (IMO).
Portland-- It's very nice... ? I'm not too familiar with Portland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City