Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times

Advertisements

Okay, here is how this thread works;
1. Pick a city
2. Pick a city that represents your city's past, a city that is growing similarly to yours.
3. Pick a city that represents/looks/feels similar to your city presently as close as possible.
4. Pick a city that you think your city will be like in the future.

For example;
I'm basing my criteria on economy for this one. My city is Houston

Past- Austin; Austin is starting to grow economically, and it's becoming very diverse as well. It's following in Houston and Dallas's footsteps.

Present- Dallas; they both have similar freeways, similar cityscape's, similar population growth, and their economies are soaring through the roof.

Future- Chicago; is the city that Houston is on it's way to becoming, a very diverse economy, a large city, and a powerful city for not only it's state but it's region as well.

You can base your criteria on anything, economy, population growth/decline, renovation and new projects, cityscape... etc, but you'll have to explain the similarity in a way people can understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 PM

721 posts, read 1,793,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Okay, here is how this thread works;
1. Pick a city
2. Pick a city that represents your city's past, a city that is growing similarly to yours.
3. Pick a city that represents/looks/feels similar to your city presently as close as possible.
4. Pick a city that you think your city will be like in the future.

For example;
I'm basing my criteria on economy for this one. My city is Houston

Past- Austin; Austin is starting to grow economically, and it's becoming very diverse as well. It's following in Houston and Dallas's footsteps.

Present- Dallas; they both have similar freeways, similar cityscape's, similar population growth, and their economies are soaring through the roof.

Future- Chicago; is the city that Houston is on it's way to becoming, a very diverse economy, a large city, and a powerful city for not only it's state but it's region as well.

You can base your criteria on anything, economy, population growth/decline, renovation and new projects, cityscape... etc, but you'll have to explain the similarity in a way people can understand.
I'm guess I'm flattered that you said Houston is modeling itself after Chicago, I don't agree, but I'm flattered .

Anyway, I'll do Chicago!

Past? Hmm this is hard. I'll say Minneapolis! It's growing at an astounding rate, especially for its location, and seems like a very desirable place to live! It doesn't have the density or architecture of Chicago, but its got its on thing!

Present...maybe Philadelphia? I can't really think of a city that is on the same path as Chicago....I'm torn between New York and Philadelphia, for different reasons.

Future...Chicago makes its own future

Old 04-25-2010, 10:11 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dncr View Post
I'm guess I'm flattered that you said Houston is modeling itself after Chicago, I don't agree, but I'm flattered .

Anyway, I'll do Chicago!

Past? Hmm this is hard. I'll say Minneapolis! It's growing at an astounding rate, especially for its location, and seems like a very desirable place to live! It doesn't have the density or architecture of Chicago, but its got its on thing!

Present...maybe Philadelphia? I can't really think of a city that is on the same path as Chicago....I'm torn between New York and Philadelphia, for different reasons.

Future...Chicago makes its own future
Haha I was born in Chicago, and I currently live with my parents who live in Houston and Chicago.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing my home cities being alike, trust me, it makes living between the both a lot easier, and since Chicago isn't the one that's going to change, it'll have to be Houston following in Chicago's footsteps. Haha. Plus Houston gets so many Midwestern transplants, it's not even funny.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,854 times
Ok Atlanta. Hmmmm...

Past: Charlotte. Charlotte is pretty much in the same spot Atlanta was 30 years ago.

Present: not sure. Maybe Dallas? Maybe DC?

Future: somewhere in between Philly and Los Angeles but sence I have to pick one, I'd say Los Angeles.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:40 AM

404 posts, read 595,361 times
Congratulations this thread made me want to shoot myself if the head. No offense though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City