Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 04:26 AM

818 posts, read 1,388,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
This is the problem that I have had with New Yorkers is that they each seem to take personal credit for the accomplishments of the whole city as it has become such over the past several centuries.
New Yorkers are who they are because of New York. New York is what it is because of New Yorkers. Lets get real, street gangsters and mafia heads, millionaires and billionaires, actors and actresses, stock brokers and shareholders, the guy mugging for a Rolex watch in the alley and the guy getting mugged, the deli owner and the guy buying the sub. We all come together to make this city what it is for better or worse. Watch a movie sometime, there is no city in this country where everyday lifestyle of a common man is even portrayed in a movie like it is for NYC. And people pay out of their pocket to watch movies that revolve around the NYC lifestyle.
Quote:
My point is that just anyone can and does live in NYC. Does that make them responsible for all its accomplishments? Were they key players, key movers and shakers who make NYC what it is?
Yes it easily does. Money is made off of the common man. Developers go into rundown neighborhoods, where the the less fortunate live, to make money developers plan for a big scale project that can help as many lives as possible. Its a rich man getting richer, and the less fortunate getting something in return. That is one mere and basic example out of thousands I can list.

NYC has a personal income of $1 Trillion, double the next major city in the country. That is all the wealth of every New Yorker put together, every single New Yorker makes NYC what it is, and that has always been true. NYC gets its identity from us, and we get ours from NYC. Every few months there is a subway hero who risks his life to save someone who has fallen on the tracks. That is a common New Yorker, being a hero. Normal people have just as much impact even without name recognition.
Quote:
Ask yourself- if you had never lived in NYC, how different would it be now? Would it be any less the city you have boasted it to be over the course of your post?
I don't know Mitch, how different would it be. I know I am a valued member of my community, if I didn't live in New York there would be many that would lead a different life. So even the average commoner makes significant impact. But you live in a suburban type of city, like LA, where daily interactions are limited. I don't expect you to understand a sense of community.
Quote:
It's not your city. It's a city.

Therein lies the delusion from which comes so much chest-beating.
NYC is my city. Sorry, but I take pride in my city. It belongs to all of us New Yorkers. We pay taxes for it, to maintain it, to keep it clean, to keep it safe. And you know what screw the tourists that come here thinking their 3 day weekend gives them a right to talk like they know our city. I love my city very much, I love my Yankees, my Jets, and my Knicks. Get real, don't come in here trying to tell me or any other New Yorker what you think is ours and what isn't. Hate to be rude, but the likes of you will never understand what passion for your city is like and that's why SJ lives in the shadows of SF, not because it came after SF but because lots of people in SJ aren't willing to accept it as their own.

We pay through our pockets to live here and to take care of our city. NYC is our baby, your words wont ever stop New Yorkers from their sense of identity.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:35 AM

1,750 posts, read 3,392,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I love NY's cityscape. I however feel the city is now devoid of soul. Yes its still ther but you have to search for it.
While I agree with you to a degree, I would make the argument that most cities have sort of lost their soul, but, IMO NYC has retained more of it than virtually every other city.

I always say the same thing about Chicago, over the past 15 years it has lost much of it soul too (cookie cutter mcmansions, chain restaurants, big box retail, etc...)

Old 12-16-2010, 10:15 AM

151 posts, read 300,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
infamous past, san jose's downtown can single heartedly take on the whole new york city with its weather, scenery, downtown and fun factor.
LMAO!!!!!!

Quote:
i've been to both cities, and san jose has more fun neighborhoods than new york.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

*breathes*

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Quote:
jose has downtown, santana row, los gatos, willow glen, mountain view, palo alto, alameda district, campbell and other cool neighborhoods. Downtown san jose, alone, has tech museum, richard meir's new city hall with a rotunda, great newly constructed public library, san pedro sq. Market, sofa art district, hp pavilion, all kinds of theaters and plays, decent nightclubs/restaurants, beautiful hotels/condos, riverpark, san jose market with (target, trader's joe's and marshall), transit/pedestrian mall, world's largest monopoly board, san pedro restaurant and bar row, big city amenities with theaters and museums/culture and so many other entertainments like camera 12 and 3 cinemas with comedyworks. How about the improv? How about newly renovated civic auditorium with live music? All of them downtown!
LOL!!!!!!!

Oh goodie, Target and Trader Joes! (all of which can be found in Harlem of all places). Walmart! Fabulous! New York and Paris are just dripping with envy.

Quote:
new york's city or manhattan's downtown is a joke, no comparison for dt. San jose.
ROFLMFAO!!!!

Quote:
i'm sure you heard of adobe. It's a cool company located in dt. San jose. Google, apple, hewlet pakard, ebay, facebook and cisco are all located in the san jose area. San jose is the high tech capital of the world. New york, if it's lucky, might be financial capital, but i think london and frankfurt have stole the thunder from new york. Oh, what about fashion capital? Ooooops, paris is. Sorry!!!!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

This person is such a joke!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:18 AM

151 posts, read 300,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjnative View Post
Obviously I cropped down your post and bolded the parts that I think are relevant, namely this "thanks us" part and being "humble".

This is the problem that I have had with New Yorkers is that they each seem to take personal credit for the accomplishments of the whole city as it has become such over the past several centuries.

My point is that just anyone can and does live in NYC. Does that make them responsible for all its accomplishments? Were they key players, key movers and shakers who make NYC what it is?

I think the average New Yorker who is a common nobody and who have personally accomplished little if anything in their lives is rather foolish to say "us" as to do so is to stand on the shoulders of those who have made the most major contributions to what NYC is.

Ask yourself- if you had never lived in NYC, how different would it be now? Would it be any less the city you have boasted it to be over the course of your post?

It's all good and well that you bash San Jose and claim that SJ has ridden on the coat tails of NYC but I don't see why I should believe it was your coat tails- yours personally- that it was riding on.

It's not your city. It's a city.

Therein lies the delusion from which comes so much chest-beating.
Right. Out of curiously, what do you think about the poster "durf"?

Old 12-16-2010, 10:19 AM

96 posts, read 192,972 times
To

yankee

infamous past

No No my friend I am far from jealous if you travel like I do I get sheer excitement from so many other cities I go to that have way more to offer than new York and way more to do and just all around fun thane a crowded city with limitless things to do but I guess that is just new York and most of you new Yorkers on here need to focus on the big fact and that is your city is in so many words falling behind the rest of the world now days in terms of tourism get used to it is all I can say.

Everyone giving examples on here about new York and it being built up in so many ways as a city with it own bad reputation all I can say let it go I mean just for you guys setting examples stating new Yorkers make up what new York is that is so touching but really to every single American who does not like the city and reads crap like that it goes way over there heads uh let me think why because they do not like new York city and never have.

Also Yankee please get into some more details if you may do so for me and some of the others on here as to why you think new York is number one city for excellence I mean you kind of left me hanging there last night. Because you know it just does not seem like it is by any count and just because all of you new Yorkers think so much is filmed there well all I can tell you compared to every other American city do your homework now days every city is evened out to a certain degree in terms of where movies and TV shows are being filmed.

I don’t know why anyone on here would need to bring jealousy into this and second like I said you can tell us everything in the book about new York you think is so cool for what little it has to offer you need to get over the fact that millions don’t care and yes people who even read these threads don’t.

In please for the last time do not bring up any of this financial crap it would really suit us well from being bored about new York more than we need to be ok will you help us out and not do that to anyone on here who brings that up let your friends on here sticking up for new Yorkers we as Americans and a society don’t care how much wealth and power new York has we can watch TV and get that info.

In I hate to be the one to tell you this on here and this goes to all of you new York posters from the way you guys talk about your city and from what we have found out over the years going there seeing what little it has to offer and people I know who have been there in the past five years just to see what ever I hate to disappoint you but that is one boring city and god for bid you take out time square LOL LOL.

Lets all move on and think what we want of new York city which by many Americans head counts is very low and very pathetic one way or another. Not to talk rude or come across like I am jealous in any way I am just admitting a simple fact I am sorry but I am. I know people friends of mine who go on city data all the time and they themselves hate new York so how can we be jealous oh yeah and they have also mentioned stuff about it as well very negative. So when you say jealous how many are you referring to may I ask or is it that you guys are starting to get jealous from what really exist out there that takes new York over in terms of tourism and luxury other cities around the world I should say and even the united states.

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 AM

96 posts, read 192,972 times
Thats fine you can call people who you think are bashing on new york lame and call uss what ever you want truth be told you are still going to wake up and stick up for a city that is pathetic by todays standards. It does not effect uss one bit we are just stating the obvious.

I think it is so sweet how all you new yorkers stick together to come at uss with insults when we are not your enemies besides admitting facts you dont want to here.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:28 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,344 times
Yankee, the joke is on New Yorkers who think their city is better than any city and has everything other city has ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:29 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous Past View Post
New Yorkers are who they are because of New York. New York is what it is because of New Yorkers. Lets get real, street gangsters and mafia heads, millionaires and billionaires, actors and actresses, stock brokers and shareholders, the guy mugging for a Rolex watch in the alley and the guy getting mugged, the deli owner and the guy buying the sub. We all come together to make this city what it is for better or worse. Watch a movie sometime, there is no city in this country where everyday lifestyle of a common man is even portrayed in a movie like it is for NYC. And people pay out of their pocket to watch movies that revolve around the NYC lifestyle.
Yes it easily does. Money is made off of the common man. Developers go into rundown neighborhoods, where the the less fortunate live, to make money developers plan for a big scale project that can help as many lives as possible. Its a rich man getting richer, and the less fortunate getting something in return. That is one mere and basic example out of thousands I can list.

NYC has a personal income of $1 Trillion, double the next major city in the country. That is all the wealth of every New Yorker put together, every single New Yorker makes NYC what it is, and that has always been true. NYC gets its identity from us, and we get ours from NYC. Every few months there is a subway hero who risks his life to save someone who has fallen on the tracks. That is a common New Yorker, being a hero. Normal people have just as much impact even without name recognition.
I don't know Mitch, how different would it be. I know I am a valued member of my community, if I didn't live in New York there would be many that would lead a different life. So even the average commoner makes significant impact. But you live in a suburban type of city, like LA, where daily interactions are limited. I don't expect you to understand a sense of community.
NYC is my city. Sorry, but I take pride in my city. It belongs to all of us New Yorkers. We pay taxes for it, to maintain it, to keep it clean, to keep it safe. And you know what screw the tourists that come here thinking their 3 day weekend gives them a right to talk like they know our city. I love my city very much, I love my Yankees, my Jets, and my Knicks. Get real, don't come in here trying to tell me or any other New Yorker what you think is ours and what isn't. Hate to be rude, but the likes of you will never understand what passion for your city is like and that's why SJ lives in the shadows of SF, not because it came after SF but because lots of people in SJ aren't willing to accept it as their own.

We pay through our pockets to live here and to take care of our city. NYC is our baby, your words wont ever stop New Yorkers from their sense of identity.

NYC is not your city.. When you die you cant take it with you. Its just a place where you live..

Old 12-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud17 View Post
Thats fine you can call people who you think are bashing on new york lame and call uss what ever you want truth be told you are still going to wake up and stick up for a city that is pathetic by todays standards. It does not effect uss one bit we are just stating the obvious.
What the hell are you talking about Mitch? Today's standards, you know NYC sets those standards.
NYC today is safer than it ever has been. NYC today owns more film firms than it ever has before. NYC today is building the tallest structures in the country. NYC today is getting billions of dollars worth of renovations.

No city can compare to the projects NYC has. Who can? SF and the Transterminal Bay? LOL
Quote:
I think it is so sweet how all you new yorkers stick together to come at uss with insults when we are not your enemies besides admitting facts you dont want to here.
I don't think either Yankee. or I am stating anything incorrect here. NYC believe it or not does sit on top of the nation in relevancy. It has areas where others outshine it, but those are limited to a few things.

Enemies? What the hell are you smoking this morning? Playing World of Warcraft, smoking pot? The hell do you think you're talking to here trying to make it sound like some crappy 1980's action movie. Get off the internet son

PS, whats up with you San Josians picking a fight with NYC? You cant even dream about winning here. Make a thread and you'll see the results speak for themselves.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 AM

And also anyone else think its weird how durf and rosebud17 post almost at the same time at any point in the day? Am I the only one who notices that or does someone else see that also?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City