Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 AM

126 posts, read 339,349 times

Advertisements

You said you were a foodie, right? Cleveland has the West Side Market where you can find just about anything. There's a ton of fresh produce that's way cheaper than any grocery store, there are all kinds of specialty food stands, etc.

The West Side Market: Clevelands Oldest and Most Trusted Market

There are also little farmer's markets throughout the summer in various suburbs. Actually, I think there's one on Euclid Ave. (just down the street from CSU) at the Cleveland Clinic.

Then there are all kinds of restaurants. We have Little Italy which is close to the Red Line we keep talking about. Nate's Deli by the West Side Market has the best hummus I've ever had. Tommy's in Coventry has a great selection of vegan dishes that you can't really find anywhere else. Fat Fish Blue in Downtown has New Orleans-style food with live jazz and blues most nights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,290,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofuzzy View Post

There are also little farmer's markets throughout the summer in various suburbs. Actually, I think there's one on Euclid Ave. (just down the street from CSU) at the Cleveland Clinic.
Cleveland State has a Farmers Market too North Union Farmers Market : At Cleveland State University

The only year-round one is the Westside Market...which Food Network has named America''s "Best Food Lovers' Market" just this week.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM

458 posts, read 1,224,088 times
Costello_Musicman... always a wealth of Cleveland knowledge!

Old 08-11-2010, 04:20 PM

16 posts, read 33,698 times
Cleveland and me... Meant to be? :O

I've googled and done research on several of these places... Wow! I knew the city would never live DOWN to its reputation, but I didn't know it had so much to offer! It's definitely a shoe in for top spot after more reading, while Minneapolis sounds amazing as well.

One more thing... I REEEEEALLY love snow, there's not much of it in Louisville but I can drive in it fine and the likes. Is the campus in the "snow belt" area of Cleveland?

Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,280,747 times
Downtown Cleveland is just a bit west of the snowbelt, but rest assured, you will see plenty of snow down on/near campus. Just not as much as maybe elsewhere.

If you like food, maybe you recognize the name Michael Symon? He was the Iron Chef a few years back, and he has a few really nice restaurants in Cleveland which you could also visit.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:08 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,181,084 times
If you really love snow, I would guess you might enjoy snow sports. The Cleveland area even has a handful of fully operational skiing "resorts." It ain't the Rockies, but the slopes are good enough to keep one in practice. The better PA and NY ski areas are also no more than 3 hours away.

Of the cities you have mentioned, I don't think any of them really compare to Cleveland in terms of restaurants and overall food culture. Cleveland has a lot going for it in that area along with the arts, museums, shows, festivals, etc. If you can get here this weekend, the Feast of the Assumption festival is happening in Little Italy.

A couple of things you might want to know about CSU is that it has recently undergone $100's of millions in restorations and upgrades with more on the way. One of the lastest upgrades is a brand new Student Center. I was in it last month to buy a book (I'm a grad student there). Even though they were still taping drywall in most of it at the time, it looks utterly spectacular. The idea is for CSU to become a minor community within the Greater Urban area. I'd say that it's well on its way.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flee to the Cleve View Post
Costello_Musicman... always a wealth of Cleveland knowledge!
Nope...just an average Clevelander...

Old 08-12-2010, 11:06 AM

So many good posts! Thanks so much everyone! I'm heading up to NYC on Sunday, and was actually thinking of leaving a day early and spending it in Cleveland... I have a friend in the city who is going to show me around and show me all the best spots, I should be reporting back by Wednesday, maybe sooner if my laptop gets in the mail tomorrow!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:17 AM

If you go up a day early (saturday), check out the Feast of the Assumption in Little Italy.

It's going on from August 12-15 and draws over 100,000 people over four days. Good food, good music, good people, good times!

If you go to Great Lakes Brewery for a Dortmunder, make sure you hit up and see the Westside Market across the street (open Saturday until like 5 pm).

And don't be surprised if campus is a little quiet -- school is not in session of course!

Last edited by costello_musicman; 08-12-2010 at 11:27 AM..

Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Eh, I will likely just be driving through campus, I don't expect it to be bustling... Ohio's quarter system always trips me up though! I'm not 21 yet so GLB is out of my reach, but I'll definitely check out Westside Market.

Feast of the Assumption sounds epic though! I'm definitely gonna drop by if I'm in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland