Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 07:51 AM

117 posts, read 244,501 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm a younger male, looking to buy a house in Lakewood. Basically I just want to see if buying a house there is a good idea.

From the majority of people i've talked to Lakewood is still a great place to live.

There's a few here and there that say Lakewood has really gone down hill. Allowing section 8 and the wrong element to move into the houses. *This is just what I hear.

just curious as to what people think i'm looking to make my decision soon, hopefully some people respond to this.

Any recommendation as to streets?... certain sections of Lakewood?

Driving is not an issue, although i'd like to be within walking distance of shopping, food, bars....

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 09:49 AM

708 posts, read 1,816,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andremclippers View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm a younger male, looking to buy a house in Lakewood. Basically I just want to see if buying a house there is a good idea.

From the majority of people i've talked to Lakewood is still a great place to live.

There's a few here and there that say Lakewood has really gone down hill. Allowing section 8 and the wrong element to move into the houses. *This is just what I hear.

just curious as to what people think i'm looking to make my decision soon, hopefully some people respond to this.

Any recommendation as to streets?... certain sections of Lakewood?

Driving is not an issue, although i'd like to be within walking distance of shopping, food, bars....

Thanks in advance.
Basically Im an eastside person, but if I had a choice on the west side, it would be Lakewood, or Rocky River...Those are very nice areas over there..

Old 01-04-2011, 12:50 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,288,515 times
Lakewood is defintely my favorite westside suburb.

It was recently ranked a U.S. top ten "coolest" suburb: Coolest Suburbs Worth a Visit- Page 4 - Articles - Travel + Leisure

Old 01-04-2011, 03:23 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,893 times
Personally I would stay away from Lakewood if you can afford it. If you are getting a good deal on a house, it would be hard to resist, but try to make sure it is in an area that doesn't have a lot of rental properties, because in 5-10 years those areas will be completely downhill. Lakewood's police force is also a negative in my eyes.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,225 times
I have some friends that live in Lakewood and they love it. Good mix a families and singles with a nice selection of bars and restaurants. Most of the riff-raff I have seen is spill over from Cleveland on W. 117th. Although my friend lives close to W 117th and has never had problems. I would not be hesitant to buy there personally.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Lakewood is okay, just pick the right area. The further west (closer to Rocky River), the better in my opinion.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:20 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,292,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Lakewood is okay, just pick the right area. The further west (closer to Rocky River), the better in my opinion.
The farther north would be my specification - the closer to Clifton the better.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:50 AM

117 posts, read 244,501 times
Thanks everyone!... I appreciate your thoughts... from what i've heard the area closer to W.117th is a little rougher, more rental lower incomes... where as you move West it's more families... younger crowd.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
I would say that Lakewood in general is still a great place to live... but do your homework. Tour as many areas in Lakewood as you can, preferably on foot and at different times of the day and evening. Take detailed tours of as many residential streets as you can, and note things like general upkeep, general noise levels, what kind of people you see out and about, etc. When choosing a property to invest in, try to steer clear of streets that appear to have many rentals, as in doubles, etc. Go for streets where most or all of the houses are single-family and owner-occupied and look well kept. Also take a look at what would be right in back of you if you buy a particular house... tour the next street over as those properties will butt right up against yours, and you'll want to make sure those are OK, too.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM

192 posts, read 492,472 times
"going down hill" ........ no way

well, the better sections of the city would be downtown (around warren and detroit) and the west end of the city.

maybe avoid the eastern third of the city.

i believe that "this old house" magazine recently listed lakewood and shaker hts. as 2 places in cleveland where you should buy and invest in an older home. "stable" markets....... etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland