Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 7,502 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, after a few days of scrambling all around Cleveland, I finally found an apt. in Cleveland. Its a nice place and I really liked Westlake. Westlake is less congested than the other towns in Cleve I had visited. I do have a couple questions/concerns about living in Westlake...

1) The commute. Ill be working in downtown and I was told the commute is only 20-30 mins, which is doable for me. My question is, would it be easier or more convenient to drive to a park n ride (triskett station?) and take the rapid in? I think if i bought 5 day passes (11.95) I would save a ton of money. From what i saw, parking downtown is expensive. Also, I work pretty close to tower city, so it would save me the hassle of driving through downtown.

2) Nightlife in Westlake. I understand Westlake is more of a suburb than urban area. It seems to be more upperclass/family orientated. I am in my mid-20s so I still like to have fun and go "out" on the weekends. It doesnt seem like there is too much of a bar-scene in Westlake. Where should I go to meet up with younger professionals my age on the weekends? Lakewood? Downtown? and how would I get there?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 07:47 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Welcome. Resident West Side expert here.

1) True, the commute is only 20-30 Minutes. Parking can be expensive. Parking at Tower City is $6.00 a day. If you don't mind walking you can park at Browns Stadium for $2.00 a day I believe. You could drive to a rapid station, and I would generally recommend that on bad snow days. Triskett or 117th are very close to I-90 off ramps so that would be a very easy way to get downtown. Hop on the freeway for 5-10 minutes. Hop off and grab a train. 117th is closer, but Triskett has better parking.
Still going to take 20-30 minutes. But it drops you off right at Tower City which is very convenient.

/edit/ Oh and Westlake does get very congested on Detroit Road during rush hours. Westlake is expanding the road to 4 lanes which should help greatly.

2) There are a small handful of bars in Westlake. Some pretty good actually.
Dover Garden which is a typical corner bar minus a corner. The Savanah is a great little Bar/Restaraunt that has live music on the weekends. Loco Leprechaun, Clevelands only Irish Mexican restaraunt is decent, too.
Irish Mexcan? Wierd I know but the food is great.
There are also a few in the suburb to the south, North Olmsted and to the east in Rocky River. Also MANY at Kamms Corner in Cleveland which is a short drive (10-15 minutes) from Westlake.
Then there are all the other Cleveland hot spots that are right off the freeway: Tremont, Ohio City, Battery Park and Gordon Square. All within a pretty short distance since you will be close to I-90.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 AM

306 posts, read 820,946 times
There is a RTA Park and ride lot in Westlake. It's on Sperry. The one bus goes to the Triskett station while the other bus goes directly to Public Square and on to CSU's transit center. If you're doing RTA, you might prefer that to driving to a Red Line station and then taking that in. The Westlake buses can get crowded, depending on the day.

I echo Peregrine's thoughts on Westlake's nightlife. There might be a few bars there, but the most active part of the city is Crocker Park which might not be the nightlife that you're looking for. Lakewood and Cleveland are your best bets.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 PM

41 posts, read 73,975 times
Yeah, the Park and ride in westlake is the way to go if you want to take public transportation. its not a light rail, its just a large bus stop. but the buses out of this lot are generally nicer then the regualar route busses. When I was using this park and ride, I found it wasn't much longer then having to drive and park downtown and was significantly cheaper.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM

2 posts, read 7,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grexley View Post
Yeah, the Park and ride in westlake is the way to go if you want to take public transportation. its not a light rail, its just a large bus stop. but the buses out of this lot are generally nicer then the regualar route busses. When I was using this park and ride, I found it wasn't much longer then having to drive and park downtown and was significantly cheaper.
Ok cool, is it a non- stop trip? And where does it take u downtown?

Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM

261 posts, read 588,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duany19 View Post
Ok cool, is it a non- stop trip? And where does it take u downtown?
The park and ride takes you to Public Square, Tower City would be right across the street from the stop basically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland