Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:59 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,713,440 times

Advertisements

Just a thread maybe we can get stickied if there is enough interest in it.
Thought it might be nice to post some local Cleveland companies that most of us may not even be aware are here, and are kicking butt.
For example American Greetings blablabla Parker Hannafin blablabla... we know all the big names... how about some smaller names that some people may not even be aware of, like
  • OverDrive Audio
This is a company based in Cleveland proper that helps libraries use DRM technology and other methods to allow them to lend ebooks and audio files through websites. A global leader in this industry.

OverDrive – Global distributor of digital eBooks, audiobooks, music & video for library, school & retail
  • Graftech International
Ever wonder what that huge Industrial looking building is at the SW corner of Madison and W 117th? Does it looks like the Headquarters of a very successful, global company? That's Graftech International. They make ummm... like a bunch of stuff for umm... a bunch of other companies. This is a global company that has acquired quite a few other companies over the course of their 125 years here in Cleveland... well Lakewood.
GrafTech International - HOME

I have a few more but will wait to see if there is any interest in this idea.

Last edited by Peregrine; 11-15-2011 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 AM

65 posts, read 164,424 times
sure, list more.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:25 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,289,444 times
Transdigm -- quietly becoming a $1 Billion company -- and most people haven't heard of them.

Check out their 2010 Annual report: TransDigm Group Incorporated Annual Report 2010

WEBSITE: Transdigm Group Inc. » Innovative Aerospace Solutions :: Home

Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 PM

This actually surprised me. I met the owner of this next company based in Elyria.
  • Diamond Products
The largest manufacturer of diamond tools in the UNITED STATES. Started in the mid-70's with 12 employees and today has over 300. The owner showed me part of the process involved with making a 4 1/2 foot saw blade!
Diamond is the #1 manufacturer of that blade and another that is larger still, in the WORLD.
And people say we don't make anything in this country? Really?

Diamond Products (http://www.diamondproducts.com/dp_home.htm - broken link)

Old 11-17-2011, 07:35 AM

One last one that I know of off the top of my head.
  • Applied Industrial Technology

Another company that makes stuff. A lot of different stuff.
2010 sales of almost 2 billion, 470 facilities around the country and over 6,000 employees worldwide. Corporate HQ right here on Industrial Parkway in C-Town.
Applied.com Industrial Supply, Industrial Bearings, Material Handling, Power Transmission, Fluid Power Products | Applied Industrial Technologies | Applied.com | Applied.com

Old 12-01-2011, 09:13 AM

Located on the westside just down the street from me is
  • Alpha-Port

Headquartered in Cleveland, Ohio, Alphaport, Incorporated is an engineering services company providing advanced solutions for aerospace, defense, and commercial applications to government and private institutes. Alphaport specializes in offering comprehensive Knowledge Management services and methodology to help aerospace-oriented organizations capture, retain, and apply intellectual property for technological innovation and professional workforce development.

Alphaport, Incorporated - Index

This next company is that rare case where Cleveland actually stole a corporate HQ from another city, in this case, Philadelphia.
  • GCA Services Group
is a company that does cleaning for schools, colleges and corporate offices.
Moved to downtown Cleveland 3 or 4 years ago from Philly. They moved from suburban Philly to downtown Cleveland and are saving 100's of 1,000's of dollars on its lease.
Currently employs more then 30,000 employees in 38 states (but only about 40 at the downtown office) and had sales in 2008 of almost $500,000,000.

http://www.gcaservices.com/

Old 12-01-2011, 09:21 AM

Have to admit I "cheated" on the last one. I've never heard of them either and found them referenced in an article on Cleveland.com that talks about the fact the NE Ohio was ranked #4 in 2009 for the number of corporate HQ's here.

Northeast Ohio ranks fourth in corporate headquarters | cleveland.com

The top 10 are:
  • St. Louis
  • New York
  • San Francisco Bay Area
  • NE Ohio
  • Detroit
  • Boston
  • Philly
  • Chicago
  • Atlanta
  • Seattle

Not bad company, eh?

Old 12-04-2011, 04:05 AM

130 posts, read 299,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Have to admit I "cheated" on the last one. I've never heard of them either and found them referenced in an article on Cleveland.com that talks about the fact the NE Ohio was ranked #4 in 2009 for the number of corporate HQ's here.

Northeast Ohio ranks fourth in corporate headquarters | cleveland.com

The top 10 are:
  • St. Louis
  • New York
  • San Francisco Bay Area
  • NE Ohio
  • Detroit
  • Boston
  • Philly
  • Chicago
  • Atlanta
  • Seattle

Not bad company, eh?
As much as I love this...I can't help but feel it's unfair to do all of Northeast Ohio vs just single city propers

Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo62186 View Post
As much as I love this...I can't help but feel it's unfair to do all of Northeast Ohio vs just single city propers
I was thinking the same thing. I know Akron houses quite a few big companies.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:58 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,905,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Transdigm -- quietly becoming a $1 Billion company -- and most people haven't heard of them.

Check out their 2010 Annual report: TransDigm Group Incorporated Annual Report 2010

WEBSITE: Transdigm Group Inc. » Innovative Aerospace Solutions :: Home
Cool stuff! Have never even heard of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland