Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 05:33 PM

31 posts, read 78,389 times

Advertisements

As someone who is considering a move to Cleveland (probably Shaker Heights or thereabouts) I'm curious to know where you're living while you're in the Cleveland area...? I don't know how old you are but meeting quality people in bars really isn't the way to go. Even quality people aren't quite themselves when out drinking. And as far as meeting women goes, I know I can tell you that as a woman myself any strange man who strikes up a conversation with me out of nowhere at a bar has me thinking that he just wants to get me in bed. But then again I'm a Northeast girl, so maybe I'm just clique-y and standoffish. LOL

Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,490,405 times
People are unfriendly in Cleveland? What part of Cleveland is he visiting?

Old 03-16-2013, 07:10 PM

141 posts, read 428,095 times
I think it's hard in any city to make new friends once you're out of college and if you don't already know at least one person in the area. My only suggestion would be to ask people from work to go out with you to a bar or something. Try to get a big group together so it's low pressure.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:02 PM

15 posts, read 54,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
Definitely go Downtown this Sunday, March 17 -- one hint to get started.

Where in Cleveland do you live btw?
I live in the downtown, do you have a particular place in mind?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treat View Post
I think it's hard in any city to make new friends once you're out of college and if you don't already know at least one person in the area. My only suggestion would be to ask people from work to go out with you to a bar or something. Try to get a big group together so it's low pressure.
Thank you. You seem to be the only person who acknowledges this fact, however I had no trouble making friends in places like NYC, Dallas, Tampa, Austin etc even when i didn't know anyone in the city. Most people at work are married and with kids, so they don't usually go to bars alone like I do.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulgirl13 View Post
As someone who is considering a move to Cleveland (probably Shaker Heights or thereabouts) I'm curious to know where you're living while you're in the Cleveland area...? I don't know how old you are but meeting quality people in bars really isn't the way to go. Even quality people aren't quite themselves when out drinking. And as far as meeting women goes, I know I can tell you that as a woman myself any strange man who strikes up a conversation with me out of nowhere at a bar has me thinking that he just wants to get me in bed. But then again I'm a Northeast girl, so maybe I'm just clique-y and standoffish. LOL
As stated earlier, I live in the downtown. I am 27 years old and you gotta be kidding me when you said that bars aren't the places to meet people. Even today, bars are indeed the places to meet new people. Almost all the people I have seen met each other in bars, that goes for the older generation folks too. I know plenty of women that married guys they met in bars after being drunk, not to mention that most women that go to bars do go there with an intention to be picked up by handsome guys. You seem to be indeed standoffish, but the majority of women who go to the bars go there looking for men.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott SW Ohio View Post
Thanks for the reply MOTL, and I am sorry you are so unhappy there. You say there are some good downtown restaurants - where would you steer out-of-towners that wouldn't be too pricey? I'd like to bring my wife up for a visit this spring and dinner in a nice place downtown would be great.
There's a southern style restaurant J Gumbos that I seem to take a liking towards. It's not fine dining though, chinato and pura vida are okay and they are in the downtown area. I am not too sure about the other restaurants, I haven't been to the best ones and have no inclination to go there either alone.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
(OP clearly has never been to, well, anywhere)

Tampa? Progressive? Surely you jest... Jacksonville? Get's a strait GTFOH/LOL. Dallas?!?! Pffffft. The only one on your list that even remotely qualifies is Austin. Also, I've managed to have positive experiences anywhere I've been (even Jacksonville !!!). Did you ever think it might just be you?

Btw, you sound like a disgruntled high school student whose daddy relocated. You really shouldn't be hanging at bars until you're at least 21. But, hey, at least there's always the mall !!
Tampa is way more diverse, multicultural than Cleveland. Don't even compare Austin with Cleveland, that's like comparing a surging future big metro to a dying has been city. I have had positive experiences from all the places I have listed except Cleveland. I am not born and brought up in USA and my daddy doesn't live at all in the US, so there goes your theory about daddy's relocation. While you were living in your mom's basement, I came to this nation at a tender age to chart my future so don't jump the gun making assumptions about me.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I would offer some kind of comments to change your perception, but that's just not going to work. My best advice is to leave as soon as possible so that someone else with a good attitude can move in. It's all about quality, not quantity. I'd take 30 more years of population loss if everyone like you promised to leave.
You don't have to stress that too much, I would have loved to leave this place if I could tomorrow. However, since I have a decent job that just started here, my hands are tied at the moment. I plan to compensate for this by either driving or flying to Chicago or NYC every other weekend, it's not easy keeping in mind the expensive flight tickets or gas prices but that's my best option to keep my sanity in check while living here.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:45 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakeonthelake View Post
You don't have to stress that too much, I would have loved to leave this place if I could tomorrow. However, since I have a decent job that just started here, my hands are tied at the moment. I plan to compensate for this by either driving or flying to Chicago or NYC every other weekend, it's not easy keeping in mind the expensive flight tickets or gas prices but that's my best option to keep my sanity in check while living here.
You're ridiculous. Stop complaining about everyone else and look at yourself. Make your own life better where you are. A good way to make sure you never enjoy life in Cleveland is to view it as temporary. This is true of anywhere. If you think of this as just a stop on some trip, you're not gonna get anything out of it. It comes through when you talk to people. It seems like you're not interested in the local culture, the local people, etc. So if people aren't nice to you, maybe it's not really them being mean. Maybe you are you're own problem. What's more likely- the 2 million people of the Cleveland area all suck, or just you suck?

But sure, go ahead, waste all your money flying to Chicago and New York. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Just don't come on here and complain about something you don't even want to change. It'd be one thing if you wanted help. But you don't. I have no sympathy for people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland