Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 08:12 AM

38 posts, read 91,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremclippers View Post
To the original poster,

Who cares?

If they were all black would you say where are all the White people?
Yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 08:21 AM

38 posts, read 91,276 times
It's apparent that at least some people are bothered by or are uncomfortable with me simply asking a fair question based on my observation. That's fine. I didn't intend to spend four posts trying to justify my inquiry. I just wondered if something was up in CLE's fire department because I noticed no black firefighters were present at the parade, even though I know there are many in the department. That's all.

There's a saying...if you see smoke, usually there is fire. Well, I interpreted the complete absence of black firefighters at a parade that is quite popular within the fire service as the proverbial "smoke", and wondered if there was a back story there (the "fire").

As for "who cares?" That question can be asked about 85% of the threads started on this forum. Why single mine out? Again, this is a discussion forum, covering a full gamut of topics, trivial and otherwise.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
You didn't just make an observation, you then suggested that this must because of horrible race issues/racism whatever. But, you make horrible points, misinterpret information, and don't really make a good argument for whatever your position is, which now you're claiming is position-less.

What is the point of this thread?

This no longer deserves my attention. Off to more important things.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:51 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin96 View Post
Ok, I know we're a full week removed from St. Patrick's Day. But I was just looking at some footage of the Cleveland parade and saw a clip of the fire department marching. There were easily several hundred firemen marching and dressed in their Class A uniforms, but not one black firefighter among them - despite the fact of there being a couple hundred blacks in Cleveland's fire department. So, what's the deal...honestly?

Yes, we're talking about an Irish holiday. But I'm certain that not all of the 400-plus white firemen I saw marching were Irish. Some were no doubt of Italian, German, English, and Dutch decent. Are race relations still that bad in Cleveland that black firemen can't or won't participate in a city-wide parade??
I would say the simple answer is the same as why the inverse is true at MLK Day events.

Race relations are what they are in Cleveland. But assessing a snapshot from a parade on an Irish holiday is probably not the best indication of them.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM

358 posts, read 621,556 times
I have to agree with the OP. It does seem odd if there were no black firefighters represented in the parade. However, that does not necessarily signify racial issues within the city and/or fire department since St Patricks Day is a white/irish holiday.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:16 PM

358 posts, read 621,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
You must always cite your sources. This is not an unreasonable request.
Really? This is city-data, it is really not that serious.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Really? This is city-data, it is really not that serious.
It doesn't matter where you are, if you want to be taken seriously, you need to cite sources.

Trust me, I've been extremely disappointed with the level of honesty and intellectual ability on CD, especially of late and because of people who think it doesn't matter.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:24 PM

261 posts, read 588,899 times
To the OP, IMO it might just be that black people don't feel that strong of a connection to St. Patrick's Day. Probably acknowledge it the same as everyone else but obviously have no reason to celebrate it to the extent that Irish or even non-Irish white people do. Being a minority myself my viewpoint is that it's easy for white people to celebrate each other's ethnic holidays because they can blend in and mix generally and goes along with the whole 'everyone can pretend to be Irish' quirk. Black people and other visible minorities obviously can't blend in to that extent in the first place so I'm not surprised there's no further vested interest from them.

Also the other possible factor previously stated is that the public safety departments do have a strong white ethnic base (Irish, Italians, Polish, etc) and these groups tend to have a strong shared Catholic heritage between them that might lead to solidarity in things like this. Black Americans tend to be heavily Protestant.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:29 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,025,105 times
As a bemused outsider, I can't help but comment--"where there's smoke, there's fire..." (Now go for the jugular, EVERYONE!") May a Cincinnatian, such as myself, be a little more direct? You, griffin96, have little reason to keep stirring this non-issue and trying to transform it into Cleveland's latest "Racial Injustice." Believe me, it isn't (and most of you are okay...).

Old 03-25-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RioDominicana View Post
To the OP, IMO it might just be that black people don't feel that strong of a connection to St. Patrick's Day. Probably acknowledge it the same as everyone else but obviously have no reason to celebrate it to the extent that Irish or even non-Irish white people do. Being a minority myself my viewpoint is that it's easy for white people to celebrate each other's ethnic holidays because they can blend in and mix generally and goes along with the whole 'everyone can pretend to be Irish' quirk. Black people and other visible minorities obviously can't blend in to that extent in the first place so I'm not surprised there's no further vested interest from them.

Also the other possible factor previously stated is that the public safety departments do have a strong white ethnic base (Irish, Italians, Polish, etc) and these groups tend to have a strong shared Catholic heritage between them that might lead to solidarity in things like this. Black Americans tend to be heavily Protestant.
Stop making sense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland