Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,065 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I (no kids) currently live in Manhattan, NYC. We live here mostly b/c she is visually impaired and doesn't drive. We rely heavily on the public transportation and our ability to walk places. We enjoy certain aspects of the urban lifestyle, but miss the big sky and green grass. We'd like the best of both worlds - an urban lifestyle with close access to nature.

I am interviewing for a job at the Cleveland Clinic, so we are thinking of moving there. I hear certain areas have an urban feel. Do you know of any good areas where we could live so she could use public transportation or her own two feet to get around for daily tasks like grocery shopping, dry cleaning, etc? We're in our late 30's and like to stay physically active so the more bicycling and walking the better for us. We don't plan to have kids, so school districts are irrelevant.

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,215,225 times
I would look into Ohio City. It has all of the amenities you need and is connected to the Cleveland Clinic area by rail transit.

Other areas to consider would be Little Italy, Shaker Square, or the Coventry neighborhood in Cleveland Heights. Lakewood is also good, but not as convenient to the Cleveland Clinic.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
Unquestionably the University Circle/Little Italy area. Best public transportation access in the city, tons of urban amenities, close to the Cleveland Clinic. You could bike to the Clinic every day down Euclid Ave's bike lanes. Beautiful areas to walk- Wade Oval/Lagoon, Cultural Gardens, Lakeview Cemetery, and you could walk up to the Coventry area too. Not too far from Shaker Lakes either. Red line rapid can take you downtown and to Ohio City pretty quickly. Both rapid stations that serve the area are also getting refurbished and the area in general is definitely on the upswing. Developments happening really really quickly.

Also, if you're used to Manhattan prices, you'll really appreciate that even in one of these more expensive areas, it's still nothing compared to what you used to pay.

There are other good areas, like Ohio City (Also pretty urban and exciting) but I really think for you, you should focus on Little Italy/University Circle.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:33 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,288,515 times
I'd recommend Little Italy/University Circle as well. Well connected to public transportation, close to Cleveland Clinic, and overall a very cultural and unique area. Constantino's Market is a staple for the area for groceries.

Are you looking to buy or rent??

Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
Look into Shaker Heights. Good public transportation, lots of nice parks, and an older more urban feeling suburb. It's really a very unique and beautiful area with a mix of spectacular 1920s mansions to charming colonials, to 2-families. The rapid, our light rail, runs two lines through the city, which both go Downtown and there is a bus that goes to University Circle. I think it offers what you're looking for, it has the best of both worlds.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I'd recommend Little Italy/University Circle as well. Well connected to public transportation, close to Cleveland Clinic, and overall a very cultural and unique area. Constantino's Market is a staple for the area for groceries.

Are you looking to buy or rent??
Thanks for the suggestions! We would be interested in buying.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:17 PM

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful replies. This is REALLY helpful. We'll be visiting for a long weekend in June, so we may look for a hotel in the Little Italy/Univ Cir area based on your recommendations. That would give us a chance to try it out and get a feel for the place. Thanks again!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:43 AM

171 posts, read 446,867 times
Default Shaker Heights

Very similar to Montclair, NJ but closer to Cleveland. Your commute to the Clinic will be a breeze from Shaker. With the Rapid trains and walkable neighborhoods, your wife should be able to get around.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:39 PM

19 posts, read 53,987 times
For hotels check out the new Courtyard Marriott or for a bed and breakfast check out Washington Place Bistro & Inn. Great location, walkable and lots of public transportation.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
Also, you might want to consider staying at the Glidden House too. I've stayed there myself - very nice place, there is a conscious effort to make it still feel as though you are a guest in an early 20th century mansion!

And it's very walkable - right in University Circle on Case Western's campus, next to Little Italy, the Cleveland Clinic, and the rapid. Good luck on the decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland