Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 04:41 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
I do not recommend Cleveland Heights but if you are husband is a resident then Cleveland Heights would be great due to the proximity. Cleveland Heights used to be affluent but it has deteriorated.
The area of Cleveland Heights that "used to be "affluent" in the western part of the suburb really still is affluent, with numerous doctors and lawyers residing there. What has deteriorated a bit is the northern part of CH which used to be more solidly middle-class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmiami View Post
If schools are important and you plan on sending your children to public school then Orange schools cannot be beat. Both my children received a wonderful education there. The high school is terrific. More like a private school than a public school. Orange, Pepper Pike and Woodmere feed in to the Orange schools. Orange Village has some lovely areas such as Orange Tree Estates. So does Pepper Pike.
Hunting Valley and Moreland Hills also feed into the Orange School District. Hunting Valley in particular is a very nice area, but it's also very expensive.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:30 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyehrtfood View Post
East side... West side... The way it was explained to me when I moved here 15 years ago:

If west siders need a fancy outfit for a big event, they go to the east side. If east siders need a fancy outfit... they go to New York.

The NBA, NFL and MLB players live on the west side. The owners/management live on the east...
I have very little doubts that was created by east siders, and still used to this day.. which says a LOT about the east side.

Quite possibly the most absurd and elitist thing I've heard.

My favorite suburb in Cleveland is easy for me:

Rocky River:
-15 minutes from Downtown
-Safe
-Blue Ribbon Schools
-Unique architecture and homes (not cookie cutter)
-Good restaurants and shopping close by
-Walkable
-Beautiful neighborhoods
-Family Oriented
-Rocky River Reservation/metroparks access
-On the Lake. This is especially important to me since I grew up on the water aka beaches, sailing, boating, tubing, jetskis, water skiing, swimming, fishing, etc. When I lived there, I'd be out on the water every day.

My favorite neighborhood in any Cleveland suburb is Tangle Town in RR. Check out the Google Street View

Tangle Town

More Tangle Town

Lake views

Near RR Park

"Downtown" Rocky River

Cleveland Yacht Club in RR:

Again - if water is no concern to you, or you do your shopping in NYC, then maybe RR isn't for you I truly believe people in RR are 'water' people. Almost every person I knew spent a significant time on the water when the weather was nice.. I get the impression that's not the case for many east siders - especially in landlocked areas. Majority of these people would never see themselves in a landlocked suburb, and RR was far better than anything comparable on the east side on the lake.

Last edited by WeSoHood; 02-21-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 06:31 PM

41 posts, read 56,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I have very little doubts that was created by east siders, and still used to this day.. which says a LOT about the east side.

Quite possibly the most absurd and elitist thing I've heard.

My favorite suburb in Cleveland is easy for me:

Rocky River:
-15 minutes from Downtown
-Safe
-Blue Ribbon Schools
-Unique architecture and homes (not cookie cutter)
-Good restaurants and shopping close by
-Walkable
-Beautiful neighborhoods
-Family Oriented
-Rocky River Reservation/metroparks access
-On the Lake. This is especially important to me since I grew up on the water aka beaches, sailing, boating, tubing, jetskis, water skiing, swimming, fishing, etc. When I lived there, I'd be out on the water every day.

My favorite neighborhood in any Cleveland suburb is Tangle Town in RR. Check out the Google Street View

Tangle Town

More Tangle Town

Lake views

Near RR Park

"Downtown" Rocky River

Cleveland Yacht Club in RR:

Again - if water is no concern to you, or you do your shopping in NYC, then maybe RR isn't for you I truly believe people in RR are 'water' people. Almost every person I knew spent a significant time on the water when the weather was nice.. I get the impression that's not the case for many east siders - especially in landlocked areas. Majority of these people would never see themselves in a landlocked suburb, and RR was far better than anything comparable on the east side on the lake.
The area north of I-90 in Rocky River does have great houses. It looks a lot like Shaker Heights. But, the area south of I-90 is full of 1960s bungalos.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastside_Guy1974 View Post
The area north of I-90 in Rocky River does have great houses. It looks a lot like Shaker Heights. But, the area south of I-90 is full of 1960s bungalos.
You're definitely right - Shaker Hts and RR do share similarities in areas. I've said it numerous times on here before, Shaker Heights is one of my favorite suburbs.

Not all south of I-90 is full of 1960s bungalows. That's concentrate mainly in the middle of the city. That's mainly north of 90, south of Center Ridge betweek Wooster and W.210/Wagar. There's quite a bit of apartments in that area too. A lot of the streets are seeing the bungalows being replaced by newer homes or developments, closer to 90.

This is a cool neighborhood north of Center Ridge:

North of Center Ridge

Just north of 90, more west

There are some more intertwined with homes like these closer to Fairview Park & Cleveland in the southeast side:

Southeast neighborhood

11 River Townhouses on the Rocky River in RR (south of 90, but still cool). This was Kevin Costners house in Draft Day:

Honorable Shout Out - Cashelmara in Bay Village. It's the old Bay View Hospital that's been converted to condos (a while ago). They sit on the lake and are beautiful. Also, Clifton Lagoon across from Rocky River on the lake.

Cashelmara:

Clifton Lagoon:

These are almost (maybe done?) and sit above Clifton Lagoon:

Clifton Lagoons - Lakewood
Cliffs on Rocky River - sit on the river as well, in the same area

TONS of hidden gems like this on the Westside that get overlooked because they aren't on the Eastside. It's silly to me not being from Cleveland and seeing the "rivarly". I'm trying to do my best to give people a visual perspective of areas they've probably never been - hopefully it's not a picture/streetview dump lol

Last edited by WeSoHood; 02-21-2015 at 10:40 PM..

Old 02-22-2015, 07:06 AM

Rocky Rive is definitely one of the more underrated suburbs on this forum. However I do think that it's a stretch to say that it only takes 15 minutes to get downtown. When the roads are clear, it takes longer than that; however most mornings during rush hour I-90 eastbound is a parking lot and you're looking at at least 25-30 minutes from that part of town.

Old 02-22-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Rocky Rive is definitely one of the more underrated suburbs on this forum. However I do think that it's a stretch to say that it only takes 15 minutes to get downtown. When the roads are clear, it takes longer than that; however most mornings during rush hour I-90 eastbound is a parking lot and you're looking at at least 25-30 minutes from that part of town.
I did the drive quite often - and it's definitely 15 minutes outside of rush hour. If you are traveling during rush hour (Clifton -> Shoreway) or 90, then it's definitely 25-30 in poor weather. I never took 90 when I lived in RR and worked Downtown.

Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
The only drawback to RR is the lack of diversity. IMO.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:18 PM

4,537 posts, read 5,108,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
The only drawback to RR is the lack of diversity. IMO.
It's not surprising that RR is very politically conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland