Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:35 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Didn't you move to East Cleveland? EC "coming back" is either A) never going to happen or B) going to be so long from now that anything you try to do now to prepare for it is going to be pretty much worthless.

If the city can find the money, they should tear down the bad ones.

Edit: Realize that how you feel now as a single 22 year old, is not necessarily how you will feel as a 31 year old with kids. Realize that it entails putting your kids in EC schools or paying thousands and thousands for private schools, and then tell me you want to restore an old house in EC instead of move somewhere else.
I wouldn't write-off East Cleveland or any other neighborhood. Look at what has happened in cities all across the U.S. East Cleveland's proximity to University Circle doesn't hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,941,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Maybe I can get my dad to help out with some serious investment and rehabilitation. He is like a mini Donald Trump and is a millionaire who currently buys and rents out lots of old multifamily homes in Hartford, CT (another blighted city). He loves buying houses for cheap in these kinds of cities and sort of updates them into good livable condition (nothing fancy though). He's very good at it and has been doing it for 30 years. But now that he's 56 I think he is winding down and tired of it at this point. Sigh.

I would love to do something similar, but I have read stories on the internet of people trying to do this in Cleveland and it ended up being a colossal waste of time and the neighborhood only got worse. I mean, the population is still declining after all.
Well, if your dad was doing this for 30 years, he spent at least 20 years doing so in a city with declining population as well. Hartford saw an uptick in population in 2010, modest, but growth nonetheless.

Same thing will happen in Cleveland.

Old 02-19-2015, 09:25 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I wouldn't write-off East Cleveland or any other neighborhood. Look at what has happened in cities all across the U.S. East Cleveland's proximity to University Circle doesn't hurt.
No, but some neighborhoods will clearly come back before others, and some neighborhoods may never come back. East Cleveland has been so hard hit with abandonment that it will be many decades before most of the city sees much improvement. The part close to UC I'll give you, but overall, it's a relatively small section of the city. Kinsman and Buckeye are other areas that have little promise for the future. Aging/crumbling housing stock, abandonment, crime, and few assets make those neighborhoods some of the most hopeless in the area. Glenville may see some improvement because of the inherent value of its housing stock, and its proximity to UC. I could see significant improvements happening there within the next 10-20 years; some is already happening in the southern parts close to UC.

Here are the most promising neighborhoods right now as I see it. I'm excluding Tremont, Ohio City, and Gordon Square because those have already caught fire.

-North Collinwood: People are starting to catch on that this little peninsula of Cleveland, sandwiched between Lake Erie and I-90 is in a great location, has relatively low crime, has lots of good independent bars, restaurants, entertainment venues, and shops around, with a variety of price-points from low end to high end. It also has a great councilman who has preserved his ward from serious decay, and brought assets to the neighborhood like a new rec center.

-Glenville (South of Superior, and parts of East Blvd): The streets South of Superior will likely see gentrification in the near future. Being close to CWRU, the hospitals, and the museums will make this neighborhood a good candidate for the next hotspot. Still a lot of blight and crime that needs to be cleaned up though.

-Slavic Village: Lots of potential, and unique character, but lots of crime/abandonment as well. Could be the East Side's version of Ohio City, but it needs a coherent vision for redevelopment, and some anchor businesses to draw in more investment. Right now, there are few assets there to draw people. A theater, restaurant, arts district, entertainment venue would help create interest in the neighborhood. The velodrome is a start, but more is needed.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:19 PM

417 posts, read 594,411 times
Nicole Curtis needs to come to Cleveland and rehab some houses. There are many, many beautiful homes in Cleveland that need to be brought back to their former glory. The houses are far better than the houses that are built by big box builders. Houses are disposable now. Old houses were built by actual craftsmen which is lacking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland