Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 06:16 AM

70 posts, read 115,206 times

Advertisements

Hello! I recently posted about moving to Cleveland this summer, and I've received wonderful advice. A quick overview of my background: I'm 24 y.o. female living in Kent, commuting to Beachwood, looking to cut down my commute and move closer to work. Hoping to find an area with a decent younger crowd and nightlife/shopping. I do like to run, but I wouldn't mind driving to a trail or something to do so. Looking to buy and trying to keep it under 75,000. I'm looking around Cleveland Heights/Coventry, Willoughby, Euclid, and Shaker Square, and a few others. I took a driving tour with a friend around some of the areas I'm looking at. I have one or two specific questions, but I was mostly just looking for feedback/comments on my thoughts and impressions of the different areas.

I checked out 5 different condos around Cleveland yesterday: One in Cleveland Heights on Mayfield Rd, two in Euclid on Buckner Dr (Benton Village) and Greenbriar Ct, one on Millwood Ln in Willoughby (The Big Turtle Condos development), and one on Shaker Blvd.

It's still a little early, so I tried not to get overly attached to anything I saw. I mostly just wanted to get a feel for the neighborhoods and see what was around them.

Mayfield Rd may be my top choice. It seemed very close to Beachwood (where I'll be commuting to) and downtown. I actually got a pretty awesome view of the downtown skyline on my way there. It was very close to Coventry and Larchmere, which many of you have recommended to me.

I loved Benton Village. The condos felt more like homes than apartments-although they were TINY-and there was much more outdoor space than other places I looked. But I didn't notice much around it in terms of bars/restaurants/shopping. So question 1-What is there to do around Euclid?

Willoughby seemed very "cookie-cutter." Lots of national franchises, very "suburbia," not much originality, etc. HOWEVER, I am very aware that I did not see the entirety of either place. Question 2-Any specific areas of Willoughby that you guys recommend?

Shaker Blvd felt like city living but I also noticed a lot of trails and other outdoor amenities around. Looked exciting! It was also incredibly close to Beachwood, which makes me question whether or not I'll be able to afford anything there.

Thanks, and Happy Monday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 06:23 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,149,880 times
Out of the places you mentioned... CLE HTS all the way for a younger person, or anyone that appreciates diversity and culture + location.

If not wanting to live downtown, that'd be my first choice for the eastside of CLE.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:24 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,464,375 times
Check out downtown Willoughby and the nearby Great Lakes Mall area.

Rather than Benton Village, perhaps check out the nearby Bonneville Tower Condos, offering a high-rise experience on Lake Erie with great prices for such units (maintenance fees include heating, air-conditioning, water and sewer).

The area would offer Sims Park and a shopping area across the street (check the area behind the center on Lakeshore). East along Lakeshore are restaurants and Shoregate shopping center. It's 15 minutes to downtown Willoughby and about 15 minutes to University Circle and perhaps 20 minutes drive to downtown. The RTA 39 buses offer relatively good service along Lakeshore to downtown.

I agree that Cleveland Hts. would be best for Beachwood.

You likely will incur additional municipal income taxes through a residence tax if you live in either Cleveland Hts. or Euclid, but not in Willoughby due to a full residential credit in Willoughby. Understand a community's municipal income taxes and real estate taxes before purchasing a condo in any community.

There are condos on Van Aken Blvd. in Shaker Hts. They have the additional advantage besides proximity to Beachwood of service to downtown and Shaker Square on the RTA Blue Line rail rapid, an excellent option for enjoying downtown's sports and nightlife, especially when drinking. The entire area currently is being transformed by a major redevelopment. This may offer some transportation pain to Beachwood before it is completed.

http://www.cleveland.com/architectur...ns_for_sh.html

Perhaps consider renting for a year in Shaker Square while continuing to familiarize yourself with the east side of Cleveland.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:24 PM

201 posts, read 238,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Check out downtown Willoughby and the nearby Great Lakes Mall area.

Rather than Benton Village, perhaps check out the nearby Bonneville Tower Condos, offering a high-rise experience on Lake Erie with great prices for such units (maintenance fees include heating, air-conditioning, water and sewer).

The area would offer Sims Park and a shopping area across the street (check the area behind the center on Lakeshore). East along Lakeshore are restaurants and Shoregate shopping center. It's 15 minutes to downtown Willoughby and about 15 minutes to University Circle and perhaps 20 minutes drive to downtown. The RTA 39 buses offer relatively good service along Lakeshore to downtown.

I agree that Cleveland Hts. would be best for Beachwood.

You likely will incur additional municipal income taxes through a residence tax if you live in either Cleveland Hts. or Euclid, but not in Willoughby due to a full residential credit in Willoughby. Understand a community's municipal income taxes and real estate taxes before purchasing a condo in any community.

There are condos on Van Aken Blvd. in Shaker Hts. They have the additional advantage besides proximity to Beachwood of service to downtown and Shaker Square on the RTA Blue Line rail rapid, an excellent option for enjoying downtown's sports and nightlife, especially when drinking. The entire area currently is being transformed by a major redevelopment. This may offer some transportation pain to Beachwood before it is completed.

First Look: Latest plans for Shaker Heights Van Aken project unveiled (photos) | cleveland.com

Perhaps consider renting for a year in Shaker Square while continuing to familiarize yourself with the east side of Cleveland.
Updated information on the Van Aken District described above: The Van Aken District | Shaker Heights Ohio

Old 11-18-2015, 08:48 AM

Shaker Square did look very fun. I did not know Willoughby had a downtown area--that sounds like a good place for me to check out.

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrheasley View Post
Shaker Square did look very fun. I did not know Willoughby had a downtown area--that sounds like a good place for me to check out.

Thanks!
There are condos in downtown Willoughby, but they are relatively expensive, especially compared to Benton Village in Euclid.

Northeast Ohio Home Builders, Lake County Custom Homebuilders - Knez Homes

http://downtownwilloughbyohio.com/

Old 11-19-2015, 01:39 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,293,324 times
My top suggestions:

- Downtown Willoughby
- Coventry in Cleveland Hts
- Little Italy
- Shaker Square

Old 11-19-2015, 03:12 AM

Definitely check out the Van Aken area of Shaker Heights as an alternative to Shaker Square. It may offer an easier commute to Beachwood.

Advantages of Shaker Square may include its great restaurants and robust bus connections with University Circle. It also offers a shorter rail rapid trip downtown.

http://www.shakersquare.net/directory-rest.htm

Both districts have among the best rail transit service in Ohio, with great service to Tower City downtown. You could take the Blue Line from the Van Aken district to Shaker Square to catch buses to University Circle or to enjoy the restaurants in Shaker Square.

Definitely take a rapid from Shaker Heights to Tower City before making your decision. Switch to the Red Line for the short hop to the West Side Market and the surrounding Market District. Switching to the Red Line is a separate fare, so buy a day pass. Visiting the WSM or Market District on a Saturday morning or early afternoon is a great experience. Don't miss the Great Lakes Brewery.

Cleveland: West Side Market - TripAdvisor

Old 11-19-2015, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
There are condos in downtown Willoughby, but they are relatively expensive, especially compared to Benton Village in Euclid.

Northeast Ohio Home Builders, Lake County Custom Homebuilders - Knez Homes

Downtown Willoughby Ohio | Restaurants, Shops and Entertainment
WRnative: Those are definitely out of my price range, but I am very interested in downtown Willoughby. I did not see that area at all on my driving tour. It reminds me a lot of downtown Kent, which I thoroughly enjoy living very close to. I am seeing a lot of real estate available on Van Aken. Is that close to Shaker Square? I thought they were the same area.

It's very confusing keeping track of all these neighborhoods and knowing which ones fall where It does make the search a little difficult. For example, when searching for Coventry--another top choice based off of all the suggestions I've received on here--I have to enter Cleveland Hts and then see where the property falls on the map and try to determine if it's anywhere near Coventry Rd, and then I still wonder if I'm looking in the correct place! Any advice? I've been mostly using Trulia.com. I also tried out Zillow.com, but they had far fewer results.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:31 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,149,880 times
Staying at the Hyatt in a few weeks. At Tower, which line is it to Shake Sq? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland