Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 01:46 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times

Advertisements

The new Public Square will host the Cleveland Orchestra's annual free concert on July 29 this year:

July 29 Cleveland Orchestra concert is first public event set for renovated Public Square (photos) | cleveland.com

The article fails to mention why apparently there will be no Star-Spangled Spectacular, the traditional July 4th concert, this year.

Likely, the Republican National Convention played a factor in this decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 10:46 AM

Default Cleveland Orchestra free CMA Centennial concert

On June 26th at 5:30 p.m. on the Cleveland Museum of Art's south terrace, the Cleveland Museum of Art will perform a free orchestra celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Cleveland Museum of Art, the orchestra's older cultural all-star in University Circle. This may be a once-in-a-lifetime event for a Cleveland Orchestra concert at this beautiful location. Hopefully, the weather will cooperate!

Cleveland Orchestra to perform free concert

Old 05-14-2016, 11:08 AM

Default Cleveland Museum of Art

Check out this thread for the many Centennial celebrations, exhibits and events at the Cleveland Museum of Art, including the 100th birthday party on June 7 and the annual "Parade the Circle" on June 11.

Cleveland Museum of Art News

Old 05-16-2016, 11:51 AM

11,063 posts, read 12,463,801 times
Is anything going on this week, particularly Thursday-Sunday? I'll be in town with my girlfriend (slowly building the affection for my hometown, to be used potentially in the future) from about noon Thursday until 4 or 5 ish pm Sunday. Already have tickets for the Cavs Thursday night, but nothing else planned except for a few hours Saturday afternoon with some family.

Anything would be helpful. What have I missed since I was home last summer in terms of new openings?

Old 05-16-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Is anything going on this week, particularly Thursday-Sunday? I'll be in town with my girlfriend (slowly building the affection for my hometown, to be used potentially in the future) from about noon Thursday until 4 or 5 ish pm Sunday. Already have tickets for the Cavs Thursday night, but nothing else planned except for a few hours Saturday afternoon with some family.

Anything would be helpful. What have I missed since I was home last summer in terms of new openings?
The Cleveland Asian Festival is May 21 to 22. On the same days, the Lewis Research Center will hold its 75th Anniversary Open House.

Cleveland OH Events | Music, Festivals, Theater

Perhaps consider Mabel's for a pre-game meal. Get there early. Barrio Gateway might be a fun alternative.

Mabel's BBQ

Third Fridays at the 78th Street Studios are fun. Perhaps check out the Happy Dog event calendar.

http://www.78thstreetstudios.com/

http://www.blankcanvastheatre.com/

The Downtown Willoughby Rib Burn-Off also is on the weekend.

http://lakecountyohioevents.com/happ...w-rib-burn-off

Perhaps also visit nearby Holden Arboretum and/or the Lake Metroparks Farmpark (check event calendar) and Penitentiary Glen Reservation. Buy tickets in advance for the Holden Canopy Walk/Emergent Tower.

The Holden Arboretum

Check out the CMA exhibition schedule (especially "Pharoah"), and the Severance Hall and PlayhouseSquare event calendars.

Exhibitions | Cleveland Museum of Art

The recreated Ohio Theatre lobby opens Thursday.

Ohio Theatre returns to its 1921 splendor with renovations nearly complete

"Steel Magnolias" opens at the Allen Theatre, one of the best in the U.S., on May 21.

The Hanna Theatre is even better IMO. It's amazing.

Calendar | Great Lakes Theater

Read about both theaters here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...usesquare.html

The Cleveland Orchestra has a rare morning concert on Friday. Note that public tours of Severance Hall are available this Sunday.

Concert Calendar

The West Side Market now is open Sundays.

Please report back!!!

Last edited by WRnative; 05-16-2016 at 02:27 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 06:15 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,681,843 times
Have fun! Second the Holden Arboretum idea! That in combo with DT Willoughby would prob be fun, also maybe renting a kayak (if in season yet, which I believe they are as long as weather is sunny) and go out on Lake Erie. Chapin Forest right near there is good also.

Great list by WRNative though. I know completion date for P.S. is 6/1, but I don't know if you can walk through yet. If not, perhaps the Terminal Tower
Observation deck to get views of our changing skyline/park space?

Old 05-18-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
The Cleveland Asian Festival is May 21 to 22. On the same days, the Lewis Research Center will hold its 75th Anniversary Open House.

Cleveland OH Events | Music, Festivals, Theater

Perhaps consider Mabel's for a pre-game meal. Get there early. Barrio Gateway might be a fun alternative.

Mabel's BBQ

Third Fridays at the 78th Street Studios are fun. Perhaps check out the Happy Dog event calendar.

78th Street Studios

blankcanvastheatre - Home

The Downtown Willoughby Rib Burn-Off also is on the weekend.

DTW Rib Burn Off - Lake County Ohio Events

Perhaps also visit nearby Holden Arboretum and/or the Lake Metroparks Farmpark (check event calendar) and Penitentiary Glen Reservation. Buy tickets in advance for the Holden Canopy Walk/Emergent Tower.

The Holden Arboretum

Check out the CMA exhibition schedule (especially "Pharoah"), and the Severance Hall and PlayhouseSquare event calendars.

Exhibitions | Cleveland Museum of Art

The recreated Ohio Theatre lobby opens Thursday.

Ohio Theatre returns to its 1921 splendor with renovations nearly complete

"Steel Magnolias" opens at the Allen Theatre, one of the best in the U.S., on May 21.

The Hanna Theatre is even better IMO. It's amazing.

Calendar | Great Lakes Theater

Read about both theaters here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...usesquare.html

The Cleveland Orchestra has a rare morning concert on Friday. Note that public tours of Severance Hall are available this Sunday.

Concert Calendar

The West Side Market now is open Sundays.

Please report back!!!
Great to know!

I hope to check out Mabel's. And Holden is a great idea. I'll let you all know how it goes!

Old 05-18-2016, 01:10 PM

Any suggestions on best place to pre-game the Cavs game tomorrow night? I know probably all of downtown will be electric, but just thought I'd ask in case we have anyone with a bit more experience than me.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:32 PM

Relatively close to the Q, possibilities would include the House of Blues (with reportedly a good Happy Hour), Harry Buffalo, Thirsty Parrot (if open; likely, but check), Winking Lizard, Flannery's Pub, Society Lounge (upscale) and Wilbert's. Barrio Gateway has a nice bar.

THE GREATEST LIVE MUSIC VENUE IN CLEVELAND

You could check out the East Flats, if you're willing to walk uphill a little longer distance or take the Waterfront Line (are you taking the Red Line from the airport? If so, perhaps buy a day pass).

Flats East Bank – Flats East Bank

If willing to take the Red Line, or walk the 20 minutes across the Hope Memorial Bridge, you also could explore the bars and breweries in the Market District, such as Market Garden and Great Lakes.

The Blue Bar and XO Prime Steaks are downtown on this list:

10 best Happy Hours in Cleveland: Your 2015 A-List dining guide (photos) | cleveland.com

The Blue Point Grille has a beautiful bar area and also a great Happy Hour. It may be the most charming restaurant in downtown Cleveland. Noodlecat, Nauti Mermaid, and Cleveland Chop also are downtown on this list.

https://foursquare.com/top-places/cl...ces-happy-hour

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/...ow?oid=4316160

If you want a Happy Hour, I've personally heard good things about the Blue Point and House of Blues.

The Hyde Park is close to the Q, and very nice if you would enjoy a more quiet, upscale place. Perhaps check out their Happy Hour offerings.

http://www.hydeparkrestaurants.com/maps/hp-dt/index.htm

Last edited by WRnative; 05-18-2016 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-18-2016, 04:36 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,394,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Any suggestions on best place to pre-game the Cavs game tomorrow night? I know probably all of downtown will be electric, but just thought I'd ask in case we have anyone with a bit more experience than me.
My son says there is some fan appreciation gig going on around the Q pre game. Anyone know what this is all about? I got courtside tix for me and son tomorrow so we'll be making trip up to Cleveburg in the am..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland