Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:30 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,148,614 times

Advertisements

I saw the last two games and will see another tomorrow. $75 for about the 4th row behind home plate. You car kidding me! These are well over $150 in CA.

Wyndham is just fine. I don't care about ripples in the carpet while walking in the hall. It's quiet in the room, clean, and set up nicely (I don't come here to stay for hours in a room).

Eating:
Picklick (is that it?) fries and wedge salad. Sat at the window to watch people. SO MUCH pride in team sports. Lots of people wearing Indian, Cav, or Browns shirts.

Heinens: Yes, ate here tonight! A turkey/avo wrap, deviled eggs, and a little salad. Sat in the dining area and marveled at the place.

Wyndham Hotel: There's a really good Happy Hour, but I do not drink. I had breakfast and it was very good.

I love the feeling after the game of walking out with all the fans. It's very different in CA. Hard to explain. We lost a good and close game, but walking out, you would not know.

Public Sq. Holy crap! What a difference a year makes! ping pong table? Organic eatery right there? Police presence pretty strong. Absolutely as amazing as advertised.

Tomorrow: Night game: I plan to take the rail to the museums.

Wed. Not sure. Flight not until 7:30. WSM for sure, but that's about it.

Took a quick tour inside Statler Arms and met a medical student from CLE Clinic who lives there. He loves being in there. The first floor has good food and a good coffee shop. The game room is just insane with aged architecture. The rates are great if you live downtown..right next to Playhouse Sq.

The ability to walk everywhere in a "big" city is astounding. It's not big, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 06:47 PM

869 posts, read 1,279,198 times
Very nice report! Sounds like fun, even on a Sunday and Monday night!

Were you able to make it to Little Italy? If not, looks like you have two more hours before shut down. 2016 Feast Info - Holy Rosary Catholic Church - Cleveland, OH

EDIT: the procession is in 45 min (9:30 PM) if you want to snag a cab or uber!

Old 08-15-2016, 06:51 PM

Thanks, but won't make it. My recent acid reflux disease has me staying away from some foods- was feeling really bad yesterday..just started new meds and was not digging it.

Anyway-

Who knows the best way to the art museum? I am on the RTA site, but not knowing the area, I can't figure out what bus or rail is best. I want to walk around the museum area.
****UPDATE***

I found the area on the site where it gives specific details. Red line and then walk 13 min. or bus, but they take longer to get close.

Thanks!

Last edited by teacherdad; 08-15-2016 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 PM

869 posts, read 1,279,198 times
Oh wow. I can't even pretend to imagine what you're going through. Good luck to you!

For the Musuem of Art from the Wyndam, I'd suggest jumping on the Healthline (Bus Rapid Transit) at Playhouse Square. It's the middle platforms down Euclid Ave.

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default...HealthLine.pdf

You either get off at E. 105 or Stokes.

You could spend hours and hours at the Art museum. In fact the whole University Circle is beautiful... frank gehry building, museums, orchestra, etc

Old 08-15-2016, 07:29 PM

Perfect! Thank you!

Imagine having to spit all the time and burp when you drink water...oh, and the breath. If we ever all get together, I'll understand why I'm sitting alone.

I was doing 3-5 cups of coffee and Mexican food 4-6 days per week with hot, hot sauce. Apparently, that's called "overload" of acidic food in your system. I do not drink, eat sugar, no diet soda, etc. I figured I was all good. I'm still young and the tissue from the scope was not that bad. I just have to chill and get the Ph back to normal. Hope it works.

If anyone wants the description of the scope without medication, I'll be at comedy mic night this Thursday.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:44 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,180,283 times
If you're at the Wyndham, the Healthline is probably a little faster once you consider the walk back to Tower City. Take it to the UH-Adelbert stop. It's a short walk down East Blvd. from there -- probably 1000' or so. If you take the Red Line, take it to Little Italy. It's a place you'll want to visit, if you already haven't. If you just want to see the museum take it to the Cedar-University Circle stop, the Circle Link shuttle will take you to the museums for free. I think it runs every 15 minutes.

Old 08-15-2016, 11:58 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,289,444 times
The Healthline would be the fastest and most direct from the Wyndham. If you were staying closer to Public Square, then possibly the Red Line...but the Healthline is literally the doorstep of your hotel and a straight shot to University Circle.

I suggest the Adelbert Rd Station stop, like CC has suggested...the stop right after the bend. Definitely the shortest distance if you look at a map.

Enjoy University Circle! The Cleveland Museum of Art and Wade Lagoon are such GEMS.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:01 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Thanks for the update!

Perhaps try the Phuel Cafe nearby the Wyndham for breakfast.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...land_Ohio.html

As already well explained, take the Healthline to the Cleveland Museum of Art.

If you like botanical gardens, the Cleveland Botanical Garden is very good.

Perhaps have lunch at the L'Albatros. It's reasonably priced, especially in comparison to your home territory.

Consider visiting the Dittrick Medical History Center.

Museum | Dittrick Medical History Center

If you enjoy architecture, check out the Peter B. Lewis Building.

Now 10 years old, the Peter B. Lewis Building is quietly transforming business education at CWRU | cleveland.com

Other worthwhile attractions in University Circle include the Western Reserve Historical Society's Cleveland History Center and Crawford Auto Aviation Museum and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History. The latter is perhaps best saved for a later visit as it is being reconstructed.

Cleveland History Center | Western Reserve Historical Society

Walk up to Little Italy (Mayfield Road) and check it out. Perhaps have a snack at Presti's.

Then take the Red Line back to Tower City. You can take either a bus trolley (station is just west of the Public Square entrance to Tower City; turn left when leaving TC) or the Healthline back to the Wyndham. Have you visited the Soldiers & Sailors Monument in Public Square yet?

Little Italy - University Circle Rapid Station | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Have a great time!

Old 08-16-2016, 07:28 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Hey teacherdad!

I know exactly what you mean when you compare going to a Tribe game vs. some other places. I grew up in NE Ohio, but visited my wife's family in NW PA this past week. We left there on Sunday and made our way over to CLE to see Sunday's game. Stayed overnight at the Garden Inn by the ballpark and came back yesterday. $28 for what I considered to be fine seats in row A section 444 just to the first base side of home. When we went to see them play Washington here last Thursday, the seats were around $35 and we were towards the back of the leftcenter bleachers. And the surface lots right across E. 9th were $20 for game day parking! I paid $30+ to park at a surface lot in DC that was a good 15 minute walk to Nats Park. We go to very few games in DC due to the cost and after experiencing rude ushers, concession workers who are never pleasant, and fans that lack baseball etiquette.

After the game we went back to the hotel to check in (an early check in wasn't available when we arrived) and then we met a college friend of mine who has just recently started a new position at CSU. He's buying a place in Broadview Heights and commuting. I told him if I was in his position I would love to live closer to or in downtown, but that's not in his plans at all. We met up and had a good time, but late afternoon/early evening dinner options seem to be lacking downtown. We found the same thing a few years ago when we stayed for a few days and saw The Lion King on a Sunday evening. We made it to Heinen's for dessert. Very cool.

Did you get a good sense of the rental rates at the Statler? The pictures I see of online of the units don't impress me much, but that's just from a quick online glance. My wife and I talk about "trying out" living downtown for a summer in a few years once our child is in college, or at least a month or so since we are off for July and most of Aug., but I don't know what type of short term options there are or if that's even possible. I think it would be neat to live there from May-Sept. once we retire. I put in date ranges on a site like VRBO, but it seems to just take the nightly rate and multiply it by 30 days and some still list the RNC rate. Next time we are up and have more time I would like to check out some of the residences.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
We met up and had a good time, but late afternoon/early evening dinner options seem to be lacking downtown. We found the same thing a few years ago when we stayed for a few days and saw The Lion King on a Sunday evening.
Maybe on Sunday, but not true in PlayhouseSquare where there are Sunday matinees and many restaurants open at 3 or 4 p.m. on Sundays. E.g., Cibreo and Cowell & Hubbard. The Hofbrau Haus in the PlayhouseSquare district opens at 11 a.m.

In the Gateway district (Progressive Field), my favorite for a pre-game meal is Barrio Gateway, which opens at 11 a.m. on Sunday.

The Greenhouse Tavern opens at 11 a.m. Adega at the Metropolitan opens at 5 p.m. on Sundays. Reservations recommended for both of these. The Encore at the Wyndham opens at 5 p.m.

Flannery's Pub on East 4th and other sports bars (Winking Lizard, Harry Buffalo) open before noon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: