Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 12:53 AM

219 posts, read 439,683 times

Advertisements

I currently live in York pa and drive over an hour to Baltimore to go to Johns Hopkins. The drive is prohibitive. I've looked all over Baltimore and my income just wont support living in that area. I'm not getting the care I need because the drive is just too dangerous for me most of the time.

After online research I noticed that Cleveland Clinic is highly rated in many specialities, like Hopkins. Rents are affordable according to craigslist and according to trulia hotmaps real estate in general in Cleveland is dirt cheap. I've also looked at other areas like Durham Nc for Duke Medical, Emory in Atlanta, and Mayo Clinic in MN. None of the other areas seem to compare with the selection I can get at my price range.

I would want to live within a half hour drive to the clinic. It would also help me if I lived in a walkable area. There are many days where I just dont have confidence in my driving or decision making skills. I would like to walk or take the bus to go to the store or to a local restaurant. I would also assume if I can walk I could also ride my bike. Having food store and take out food places close to me is important. I can't always drive to get things or even fix things myself. I'm not concerned about night life or anything. Just give me decent restaurants, video games, and high speed internet.

My income is 1530, ssdi, so I'm looking for base rent at around 500 or 650 with all utilities. There is a senior housing tower right next to the clinic that does take those on disability so that might be an option though there is probably a waiting list. I called community towers 2 and their wait list is 2-6 months, which is nothing compared to the Baltimore area. Their wait list is so long they wont even tell me how long it is. The senior housing places include rent and utilities at 30percent of income. I'm limited to those who take those on disability and seniors, because I'm only 30.

Cleveland also ranks very high in crime so that is a concern. I've just been google map walking areas that are around apartments I see on craigslist that I can afford. I figured that was just as good a way as any to get a feel for the neighborhood. I wont be out late or hanging out at the bar. How about this address

4782 Broadview #9, Cleveland, OH

There is an apartment there I can afford, from the google map view it looks like any ordinary place. I dont' see boarded up windows or anything.

I've got a friend who lives in Brecksville and I'm thinking of visiting soon and taking a few days to check out some apartments. I don't want to relocate, but the price and demand for housing is so great in and around the Baltimore area it's just out of reach financially for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 PM

126 posts, read 339,331 times
Visiting your friend here and spending some time looking around would be the perfect opportunity!

You're right, Cleveland Clinic is a very prestigious hospital and in Cleveland, the cost of living is pretty cheap compared to other cities. Also, depending on the area, you can probably find a walkable neighborhood.

Would you consider using public transportation to get around? That might affect where you choose to look for an apartment.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofuzzy View Post
Would you consider using public transportation to get around? That might affect where you choose to look for an apartment.
I would like for it to be an option if I need it. On days where I can't drive I can hop on the bus but it's not required. In Maryland they have something called MTA mobility where they will come and pick you up and take you to your appointments. Maryland is a very affluent state so they have great programs. That isn't necessary if I can live close enough to the things I need.

Once I get my car inspected I'm going to drive to brecksville and check out some places in the cleveland area. I'm not getting anywhere here not being able to get to the stuff I need.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM

9 posts, read 23,054 times
The senior/disabled apartment complex right next to the clinic is called Antioch Towers. My dad is on disability, and he looked into this place about a year ago. I remember the waiting list was not long at all, and they're actually advertising on craigslist now, so there might be current openings.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClevelandShow View Post
The senior/disabled apartment complex right next to the clinic is called Antioch Towers. My dad is on disability, and he looked into this place about a year ago. I remember the waiting list was not long at all, and they're actually advertising on craigslist now, so there might be current openings.
Yes I saw their posting as well. My experience from the baltimore area with the senior housing is they vary wildly in quality. Some are 60 year old, baren, depressing, and under constant 'renovation' (paint fumes, loud noises). Others are relatively modern with a cheerful helpful staff in safe areas.

I'll consider the senior housing though they complicate things due to the waiting lists and so forth. Also some of the units here don't even have a model to show you, so you have to just take their word for it. I don't know how common this is though.

My bigger issue right now is hitting a safe place to rent within 30 minutes or less to the clinic. I believe from my online research that OH is THE best place in the country that is near a hospital that is nationally recognized and highly rated with affordable rent in my price range.

I've got a friend who can go with me and we can split up the drive. I'm probably looking at around dec 5-10th. Hopefully my friend can stay with me in my other friends apartment in brecksville, otherwise I'll just rent a hotel for a few days.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:11 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,461,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiro499 View Post
Yes I saw their posting as well. My experience from the baltimore area with the senior housing is they vary wildly in quality. Some are 60 year old, baren, depressing, and under constant 'renovation' (paint fumes, loud noises). Others are relatively modern with a cheerful helpful staff in safe areas.

I'll consider the senior housing though they complicate things due to the waiting lists and so forth. Also some of the units here don't even have a model to show you, so you have to just take their word for it. I don't know how common this is though.

My bigger issue right now is hitting a safe place to rent within 30 minutes or less to the clinic. I believe from my online research that OH is THE best place in the country that is near a hospital that is nationally recognized and highly rated with affordable rent in my price range.

I've got a friend who can go with me and we can split up the drive. I'm probably looking at around dec 5-10th. Hopefully my friend can stay with me in my other friends apartment in brecksville, otherwise I'll just rent a hotel for a few days.
I am in a very similar boat as you but cannot move until later next year. Please keep us posted as to how it all works out for you. Or PM me if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: