Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 08:29 PM

840 posts, read 761,137 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to Cleveland (imminent now) from Seattle and whenever I tell someone they usually look at me blankly, pause and say "Why?" as though it is a crazy idea. One person said it was an eccentric choice which I thought was a good thing. What I'd like now is to hear from people who have moved here in the past couple of years or so, where they moved from and how they like Cleveland or Ohio in general and/or how it's turned out for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 07:35 PM

372 posts, read 593,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
I am planning a move to Cleveland (imminent now) from Seattle and whenever I tell someone they usually look at me blankly, pause and say "Why?" as though it is a crazy idea. One person said it was an eccentric choice which I thought was a good thing. What I'd like now is to hear from people who have moved here in the past couple of years or so, where they moved from and how they like Cleveland or Ohio in general and/or how it's turned out for them.

We relocated here in 2008 from the Bay Area. People always looked at us with such pitiful eyes. It's funny now when I think about it. We love it here. Found a great neighborhood in Rocky River. We can walk to the lake or to coffee shops, library, restaurants, grocery store, ice cream. Kids can walk to school. Moved to Nashville for 2 years and couldn't wait to get back.

We've met some of our closest friends, aside from my kids' classmates' parents, at our Crossfit gym. Many, many transplants have found their group of friends though Crossfit. They usually have free or cheap Saturday workouts. Get yourself out there meeting people and staying active and you will get through the winters much easier.

What brings you here?

Old 01-29-2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
We relocated here in 2008 from the Bay Area. People always looked at us with such pitiful eyes. It's funny now when I think about it. We love it here. Found a great neighborhood in Rocky River. We can walk to the lake or to coffee shops, library, restaurants, grocery store, ice cream. Kids can walk to school. Moved to Nashville for 2 years and couldn't wait to get back.

We've met some of our closest friends, aside from my kids' classmates' parents, at our Crossfit gym. Many, many transplants have found their group of friends though Crossfit. They usually have free or cheap Saturday workouts. Get yourself out there meeting people and staying active and you will get through the winters much easier.

What brings you here?
Finally...a transplant responds! I think most are probably not checking this site too much anymore. That's good to hear. Not quite sure why I'm here except that someone suggested it (I was looking for a place to move to get out of Seattle) and I started looking into it and it sounded possible. I liked that it was close to the east coast (I'm from New England and would like to be closer to it), cost of living is less, it's near water (I'm used to oceans), wanted to experience the midwest and maybe more down to earth people (hope I'm not stereotyping). But...after arriving today I just wanted to leave and I'm really trying to talk myself down! I came alone and it's a little rough but having moved alone before, I know it takes awhile to adjust and meet people etc. Right now I have that what am I doing here feeling and hate that everything is so unfamiliar. I haven't gotten my sea legs yet. I'm getting too old for this I think! I may end up back in New England but want to give Cleveland a try. Thanks for the suggestions! What made YOU move here?

Last edited by october2007; 01-29-2017 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 01-29-2017, 08:24 PM

372 posts, read 593,738 times
Well it was 2008 and we were in over our head with our home in the Sf Bay Area. When this promotion came up for my husband we jumped at the chance to live in a lower cost of living area. Winter truly is a tough time to love here-- especially late January. In fact, when we moved back it was this day 4 years ago. I remember crying because I thought people were so rude compared to the South. It turns out, winter makes people a bit grumpy.

We are down to earth here! Gritty and down to earth. Of course there are those who try to keep up with the Joneses, but most are not.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:07 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,443,083 times
Quote:
Finally...a transplant responds! I think most are probably not checking this site too much anymore. That's good to hear. Not quite sure why I'm here except that someone suggested it (I was looking for a place to move to get out of Seattle) and I started looking into it and it sounded possible. I liked that it was close to the east coast (I'm from New England and would like to be closer to it), cost of living is less, it's near water (I'm used to oceans), wanted to experience the midwest and maybe more down to earth people (hope I'm not stereotyping). But...after arriving today I just wanted to leave and I'm really trying to talk myself down! I came alone and it's a little rough but having moved alone before, I know it takes awhile to adjust and meet people etc. Right now I have that what am I doing here feeling and hate that everything is so unfamiliar. I haven't gotten my sea legs yet. I'm getting too old for this I think! I may end up back in New England but want to give Cleveland a try. Thanks for the suggestions! What made YOU move here?
Visiting Cleveland in late January during a snow storm is not the thing to create a good first impression. Perhaps stop at Edgewater Park and use your imagination (or check out the images below). Note that Edgewater has an upper park with great views above the beach.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Clev...ZtCqUQ_AUIBygC

Last edited by WRnative; 01-30-2017 at 12:29 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 01:59 PM

378 posts, read 342,256 times
I've had some similar geographic experiences as you.

I grew up in eastern Pennsylvania and later lived in coastal Maine for a few years. During that time I also lived in Florida for a few months and Seattle for four months (near Ballard). I really loved Seattle and for a while the plan was to relocate there permanently. Things changed last minute and I ended up in Cleveland. I visited the city once for less than a day and relocated here about two months later. I rented a townhouse sight unseen and moved into Detroit-Shoreway.

Things ended up working out really well. Cleveland has some extremely impressive cultural assets (the art museum, symphony, playhouse square) and has a restaurant and bar scene far more expansive than one would expect. There's way more culture than I ever expected. The affordability is also nice and I ended up buying and renovating a house that had been vacant for a few years.

Overall, I think what I like most about Cleveland is the potential the city has for meaningful growth. A lot of people talk about the city being on the rise, but I think the amount of emphasis that people here seem to have regarding social equity, conscious capitalism, and socially conscious tech presents an opportunity for the city to become an example of how rebirth does not have to equate traditional gentrification and displacement (sort of the opposite of what ended up happening in Seattle over the past couple of decades). There's been a bit written on "The Cleveland Model" but I think there's still a long way to go. It's really exciting.

And, as WRnative said, this is a really tough time of year to visit for the first time. The other three seasons are beautiful here, though. I promise.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Visiting Cleveland in late January during a snow storm is not the thing to create a good first impression. Perhaps stop at Edgewater Park and use your imagination (or check out the images below). Note that Edgewater has an upper park with great views above the beach.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Clev...ZtCqUQ_AUIBygC
Yeah...this wasn't the best time to move here and it's affecting my feelings about being here. I did go to the West Side Market for breakfast and went down to Cedar Fairmont area (where I'll be staying starting the 1st). I think there are lots of good things here but I really don't want to be in a city and my goal was to find a smaller town to live in so....I will have to start that search once I'm in the temp apt.

Old 01-30-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
I've had some similar geographic experiences as you.

I grew up in eastern Pennsylvania and later lived in coastal Maine for a few years. During that time I also lived in Florida for a few months and Seattle for four months (near Ballard). I really loved Seattle and for a while the plan was to relocate there permanently. Things changed last minute and I ended up in Cleveland. I visited the city once for less than a day and relocated here about two months later. I rented a townhouse sight unseen and moved into Detroit-Shoreway.

Things ended up working out really well. Cleveland has some extremely impressive cultural assets (the art museum, symphony, playhouse square) and has a restaurant and bar scene far more expansive than one would expect. There's way more culture than I ever expected. The affordability is also nice and I ended up buying and renovating a house that had been vacant for a few years.

Overall, I think what I like most about Cleveland is the potential the city has for meaningful growth. A lot of people talk about the city being on the rise, but I think the amount of emphasis that people here seem to have regarding social equity, conscious capitalism, and socially conscious tech presents an opportunity for the city to become an example of how rebirth does not have to equate traditional gentrification and displacement (sort of the opposite of what ended up happening in Seattle over the past couple of decades). There's been a bit written on "The Cleveland Model" but I think there's still a long way to go. It's really exciting.

And, as WRnative said, this is a really tough time of year to visit for the first time. The other three seasons are beautiful here, though. I promise.
Hi...You've had a successful experience it sounds like. I think I'm just feeling overwhelmed and it feels too foreign to me right now (and the snow/cold isn't helping). I came at the wrong time! Maybe I should leave and come back...: ) But I agree that Seattle has done things the wrong way regarding gentrification and growth...so many people have been displaced and now they have a huge problem with homeless camping all over the place (some of it is drug related). Cleveland seems far superior culturally to Seattle. How long have you been here?

Old 01-30-2017, 02:23 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Yeah...this wasn't the best time to move here and it's affecting my feelings about being here. I did go to the West Side Market for breakfast and went down to Cedar Fairmont area (where I'll be staying starting the 1st). I think there are lots of good things here but I really don't want to be in a city and my goal was to find a smaller town to live in so....I will have to start that search once I'm in the temp apt.
Yeah moving during winter is rough. Makes it a lot harder to "Get out" and do stuff or meet people. I moved to Boston in winter too. I didn't have any friends until summer!

But go back to Cedar Fairmount and check out Vero Pizza Napoletana, it's amazing!

Old 01-30-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yeah moving during winter is rough. Makes it a lot harder to "Get out" and do stuff or meet people. I moved to Boston in winter too. I didn't have any friends until summer!

But go back to Cedar Fairmount and check out Vero Pizza Napoletana, it's amazing!
I'll be living in a temp apt. in that neighborhood so will definitely try the pizza...I love thin crust.
Yeah...I think this is going to be rough on me. Are you in Boston now? Do you like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland