Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 11:06 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,460,743 times

Advertisements

Maybe they're not looking for people to move to NYC and DC for the job. Maybe they're offering something for under-skilled workers trying to get a break. Plenty of local talent in NYC that might prefer this to whatever else their options might be otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 11:31 AM

227 posts, read 198,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Well all I know is that people are going to Midwestern cities trying to relive their seventies LA and NYC fantasies on a budget. Better than nothing I guess.
Not sure if that's us or not... Certainly wouldn't say we're trying to relive the "seventies"... wasn't even born then.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:32 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,460,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueysBack View Post
Not sure if that's us or not... Certainly wouldn't say we're trying to relive the "seventies"... wasn't even born then.
The seventies reference is a euphemism for what NYC, and to a lesser degree other "real cities" were like back in those days.

Someone tells someone by way of the grapevine that it is still like that in Pittsburgh, Youngstown, or Detroit and people start figuring out how they can move there.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:40 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,450,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm a transplant to the Midwest from the NYC area.

I have no idea how anyone could afford to live in that area while working at an Amazon wear house. The "exceptionally qualified workforce" that some one spoke of, are not seeking that type of job.

With rents in 3 ROOM apartments in NYC and the boroughs hovering at $3000-$5000 per month. I don't know how anyone could afford to work in a wear house and live in that part of the country.

I'm not well versed in the salaries of Amazon workers, but it would be difficult to imagine that they are anywhere near six figures. Unless their workers will be gleaned from ethnic groups that do not leave home, live in small cramped, multi-generational homes who tend to take public transportation and pool their resources, and are not exceptionally skilled, beyond a HS diploma, there will be few prospects.

WAIT - perhaps I answered my own question. The NYC area is historically filled with such groups. The composition of the ethnic groups changes every 2 or 3 generations, but in NYC there is always a new ethnic group waiting for work.

Otherwise, I would think Cleveland would be a far superior location for this sort of operation.

No one would move TO NYC for a job that pays under $100,000, unless they already had a place to live. A small apartment in NY costs more than an entire mortgage in most areas of the US.
Amazon says the average salaries at the two HQs will be $150,000, but as whole divisions will be moved, some very highly paid execs likely will be pulling up average salaries.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazo...032200180.html

Old 11-14-2018, 11:41 AM

227 posts, read 198,552 times
Back to the OP though... what I've noticed is that humans tend to move in herds. If a herd of people are moving westward, then the west becomes "the en vogue thing". If it's Brooklyn... then it's Brooklyn. If it's the suburbs... back to the city... etc. There is a sort of momentum effect. And then - and only then - comes all the justifications for why it's "en vogue". Rarely is it the other way around. People want to be fashionable and included... regardless if the justifications are sound.

"So what I bought a 1.3 million dollar home in Denver (Seattle, Austin, etc.) that's only 1,700sqft and has horrible public schools... it's in Denver! We have mountains nearby!"

Old 11-14-2018, 11:50 AM

378 posts, read 342,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I'm not well versed in the salaries of Amazon workers, but it would be difficult to imagine that they are anywhere near six figures.
These new jobs are essentially all high-paying tech jobs. Nothing mid to low range aside from what is required to support the facilities such as custodial staff, and even then Amazon will probably use a contractor that doesn't guarantee local access to those jobs.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:02 PM

194 posts, read 191,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
These new jobs are essentially all high-paying tech jobs. Nothing mid to low range aside from what is required to support the facilities such as custodial staff, and even then Amazon will probably use a contractor that doesn't guarantee local access to those jobs.
NYC metro has 20 million population. The workers there will be local, unless they commute 2+ hours each way.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:19 PM

378 posts, read 342,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reioh View Post
NYC metro has 20 million population. The workers there will be local, unless they commute 2+ hours each way.
It's more common than you think as cost of living increases at a rate disproportional to the wages of the working class. I actually know someone who does a commute to Manhattan from Pennsylvania.

Regardless, I get your point. But I think it's important to also define "local" in the context of a metropolitan area this large. So, in this case, those workers aren't nearly as likely be from Queens, which is the community that will be feeling the brunt of the impact from having this disruptive project.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:01 PM

171 posts, read 149,225 times
Here's an interesting article from one who's been there, done that. While I would like to see Cleveland be recognized and experience some modest to healthy amount of growth, I really hope it doesn't become like this:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.08a27676cb8c

Old 11-14-2018, 03:32 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,446,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Cleveland already has a huge DC for Amazon.

Then some of us "expatriates" have to ask that uncomfortable question. Why won't we move back to Cleveland? I don't ever see myself moving back to Akron. Don't get me wrong my days in Akron and Dayton shaped who I am but I doubt I'll ever move back to Ohio. Life is so much better for me than when I was there. The opportunities were so much better to come across, relative to my education, or lack of it. I can see why a lot of Ohioans are down here. Its just easier in a lot of ways; expensive yes but money is not everything.

No hate on Cleveland but why would you expect some company to do something you're not willing to do yourself?

Cleveland did not have the resources to play that game that other cities competing for the headquarters had. Simple as that. We wanted to see the headquarters located in Hampton Roads but I can almost guarantee that our pitch was about as embarrassing, if not more, than what Cleveland offered. And Cleveland is an established name, an established brand, whereas cities down here not so much because it is primarily people in or fans of the military that know about this place.
You said no hate on Cleveland but you follow up by hating on Cleveland. That's being pretty passive-aggressive, isn't it? I apologize that Cleveland isn't cool, hip Norfolk, DMV or DC area. Plus, I'm sure you and the other expats tell everyone you're glad you're out of there lol. I guess I got stuck with a city job serving my community instead of being a mover and shaker.

DISCLAIMER: I am being sarcastic.

Last edited by QCongress83216; 11-14-2018 at 03:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland