Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 08:04 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,790 times

Advertisements

I figure they'll probably be a "meijer" headache for Walmart, Target, and K-Mart.
<--- GET IT? MEIJER <----> MAJOR

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2019, 08:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,247,261 times
Someone asked why they are only in the outer suburbs...I believe Cuyahoga County requires grocery stores to be unionized and Meijers are non-union stores.

That said, I wish one was closer to me...Mentor and Stow are too far to travel for groceries...it's a shame though, they are really awesome stores. Cuyahoga county needs to do away with regulations like that.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:20 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,988,870 times
Target and Walmart both have locations within Cuyahoga county and are not unionized.

I think they just see these suburban locations as better markets for them for whatever reason -- they probably have cheaper land and the demographics they are looking for. The same thing is happening with Menard's entering the Cleveland area.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:57 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,324,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
I figure they'll probably be a "meijer" headache for Walmart, Target, and K-Mart.
<--- GET IT? MEIJER <----> MAJOR

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun)
According to their TV ads, the name is pronounced "Meyer".

Old 08-08-2019, 07:23 AM

17 posts, read 13,072 times
The Meijer in Mentor is just down the street from me so I've been there a handful of times this summer. Food selection is pretty good but the atmosphere feels a little sterile and uninviting. Definitely more of a Super Kmart type of feel to it (not because of the location) than Heinens or even some of the newer Giant Eagle market districts in the area. Given its large size that just comes with the territory perhaps.

Prices are competitive and the checkout lines are well staffed. The shopping carts are new so they are pleasant to use and there is plenty of parking. I have heard grumblings about the Deli section taking forever serve customers. The men's bathroom looked like WWIII both times I've been in there so that was not the greatest.

Regardless its nice to have another convenient option in the area when I need groceries or miscellaneous items.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,181,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Someone asked why they are only in the outer suburbs...I believe Cuyahoga County requires grocery stores to be unionized and Meijers are non-union stores.

That said, I wish one was closer to me...Mentor and Stow are too far to travel for groceries...it's a shame though, they are really awesome stores. Cuyahoga county needs to do away with regulations like that.

Where did you hear such nonsense? First of all, Meijer's eligible hourly employees are mostly unionized throughout. Secondly, Cuyahoga County has no such ordinance nor does the county government have the power to mandate the unionization of any private company. There are also many non-union grocery stores in Cuyahoga County including Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Aldi, Wal-Mart Supercenters (essentially a crappier Meijer store model), most independents, etc. You can essentially expand this list to every major wholesale membership based store which are, for all intents and purposes, large grocery stores (Costco, Sam's and BJ's). The reason newer Meijer locations are outside of Cuyahoga County is because land is cheaper (ans sometimes abated) and there is much less competition in the outlying counties. Once they have a foothold and brand familiarity in the GC area, they'll move inward.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:22 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,181,084 times
Pertinent to both the thread and a further rebuttal of OHinSC's nonsense post. For the uninitiated, Seven Hills is a second tier suburb of Cleveland and smack in the middle of Cuyahoga County.

https://www.cleveland.com/community/...percenter.html

Old 09-01-2019, 07:09 AM
on3

498 posts, read 386,098 times
Meijer has been around awhile in Cbus and Cincy areas, so it’s only natural that Cle got them also. Was just a matter of time.

Sears has been done awhile now.

“Kids put on your Sunday’s best....we are going to SEARS!”

Yes....that used to be a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland