Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 AM

5 posts, read 16,927 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My job is taking us to Wilson. My husband and I are sucessful young professionals, 26 and 29, newly married, have 5 pets and no kids, and need to buy a house QUICK, as I start my new job on December 1 and don't want to stay in a hotel any longer than necessary. We'd think about renting a house, but we need a yard, garage, and will probably have a hard time finding all this where we can also bring our dogs and cats.

We have been doing research and I can't figure out where to concentrate our real estate search...

We like to eat out. We don't go to chain restaurants much at all and prefer unique local spots. We like to sing karaoke at bars and we like to see cover bands. I'm a vegetarian. He is a drummer. We like shopping at Target. We like to have a grocery store very close that stays open past 10 pm.

Where should we live? What will commute be like from Knightdale, or Greenville? What about a place like Zebulon or Wendell - are there even grocery stores there? What is Smithfield like? Does Wilson shut down at 6 or 7 pm? Are there any bars there?

Greenville or Knightdale are where I am leaning...Thoughts??

Appreciate your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 09:56 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,389 times
Quote:
I'm a vegetarian
Wendell may be a good option, or Zebulon. They are close to Raleigh which would have more dining options for vegetarians and would have more non-chain restaurants that would have vegetarian options. Not sure if Wilson has much for non-chain restaurants other than BBQ or steakhouses.

Greenville would be a decent bet but the commute would be 45 minutes or so.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:16 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
See my response at the below link:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...reenville.html

Old 10-29-2010, 02:57 PM

228 posts, read 601,227 times

How about living in Wilson itself? I have good friends who live there in the downtown and have renovated a very lovely old home. Above is a link to a nice house and agent. (I have no affiliation with the agent, etc.) But, personally, my thought is the less the daily commute the better. We waste too much time in cars as it is.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-21-2010 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: realtor link

Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 PM

451 posts, read 1,914,389 times
Wilson does have some nice older neighborhoods and has affordable housing. Before the recession hit I think it was getting growth from its proximity to Raleigh. It's a smaller city...so go with the right expectations and you might like what you see.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:14 PM

466 posts, read 700,731 times
If you didn't have a job yet and were deciding on those four cities I'd live in Raleigh for sure, then Knightdale then Greenville then Wilson.

However, if the job is in Wilson, then I think it makes sense to live in Wilson. Greenville is probably a 30 minute drive city to city, longer commute door to door, although it's an easy drive. If you live near Raleigh it will be over an hour commute which doesn't make as much sense in my opinion.

I think it makes more sense to live in Wilson so during the workweek you have an easy commute, then on the weekends or every now and then you have a quick drive to Raleigh for "bigger" city benefits. Housing will be cheaper there as well.

Good luck!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:09 PM

101 posts, read 227,131 times
I would live in Wilson there are several independent resturants that are not BBQ with very good chefs. People from other cities tell me about coming here to eat. We have lived here for quite a few years, and I can be at North Hills in Raleigh, or downtown Greenville in 35 minutes. Wrightsvile Beach is 90 minutes, Atlantic Beach 2 hrs. The homes are reasonable priced. Give it a chance. Wilson has a strong arts community with activities, and each of those resturants have nice bars in them.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:35 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
There is nothing in Wilson, however many people like it. IMO, there is not much in Raleigh, but that's another story. I would not drive from Raleigh to Wilson twice a day, and I would not live so far from Raleigh that I had to think about going there.

Once you get out of the Wake County school system, housing prices are lower for a reason.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:51 AM

101 posts, read 227,131 times
Wilson County Schools hold their students to a higher standard than the state requires, and with Wake School Board actions of late how could anyone recommend being apart of that system right now.

Old 11-07-2010, 08:09 PM

150 posts, read 351,956 times
I would live in Wilson itself. Greenville doesn't have enough benefits for you to be worth the commute. Wilson is also closer to the Triangle and has a train to DC so you have easy access to fun things on the weekends. Congrats on the job and good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina