Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,248 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I and our 3 kids are seriously considering moving to the wilmington area.
How prevalent is the crime around wilmington? the statistics online are really bad.
Here are some specific questions,
1. What are the areas to avoid, we want to be relatively (15-20 mins) close to the beach, great schools, rental cost 1700-2100$ or so.
2. Can you get to the malls, where target, justice, michaels, joanns, etc without any crime?
3. I have heard most of the crime is in the low income areas and/or the student housing, is this true?

I guess to sum it up, we want to be close to the beach, with great schools, nice home to rent, be able to shop safely, and areas where we can take our family out a lot. Ogden seems nice?

I would so much appreciate it, it looks like heaven all except the crime stats.

Thank you all!

- Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexandDawn View Post
2. Can you get to the malls, where target, justice, michaels, joanns, etc without any crime?
I go to the malls all the time, and I have never worried about my safety. Yes, I visit the Michael's and Joann's.

BTW, the City-data index of crime for Wilmington is only slightly above average (431 compared to the US average of 319). I don't think this is bad for a city of 100,000. For specific locations, I suggest using an objective tool like Spotcrime.com .

I think that if you live in a middle-class area like Ogden or Carolina Beach, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:34 AM

Thank you Goldenage,
My wife is concerned that she be able to go around town with our kids without issue. We live in a town now where there is 0 crime. How is ogden over all? is it pretty nice?

Old 02-11-2014, 01:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Thank you Goldenage,
My wife is concerned that she be able to go around town with our kids without issue. We live in a town now where there is 0 crime. How is ogden over all? is it pretty nice?
If you are east of College Rd, there is virtually no crime. This includes virtually all the commercial areas

If you are are east of Independence, there is some crime...but not much...this includes the mall area.

For the most part most of the crime occurs around the public housing complexes...and they are congregated to one part of town. Downtown Business District is also safe....unless it is after midnight when the bar crowd is out.

Consider that crime is higher because of a reduced population in Wilmington (over a larger city), but also because of students, some military that come in from Jacksonville, and vacationers that do stupid things. The car wreck rate is also higher because of all these things (plus elderly). For the most part, it should be expected. But its a safe place.

Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you Goldenage,
Ogden is a generic, boring suburb with strip malls and very nice houses. You can live there without ever having to go into downtown Wilmington.

I have never lived in a town with zero crime, but I suggest you wife learn some basic safety precautions. Always lock the house and car doors. Do not get out of the car if you see anyone suspicious near the car. Do not leave the child alone in a car, and so on.

If it helps your sense of comfort, go to Spotcrime.com and put in a sample Ogden address. I picked 212 Cannon Road, Wilmington, NC as it happens to be a house currently for sale. Here: http://www.spotcrime.com/#212%20Cann...ington%2C%20nc At the moment there are zero crime incidents within 4 miles of that house. Your wife could go to a bank, a grocery store and a doctors office and be within that 4 mile zone.

The closest incidents were an arrest at 4400 Market Street and an arrest on 1000 S. College. If you zoom out, it will be as HP91 said. There are more incidents downtown, and a few around 2000 Market Street. You should also note that an arrest does not necessarily mean a violent incident occurred. It could be simply that someone was drunk or loitering or shoplifting.

At any rate, I believe you can live comfortably in Ogden for many years without every being a victim of violent crime. However, I am curious why you are interested in moving to the area if you are so worried about it. For the record, you might compare the crime rate with Jacksonville which is a smaller city with a C-D crime index of 214 versus 319 US average. You could also live in a place like Surf City or Sneads Ferry which have very low crime rates and you are still "near the beach".

Old 02-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Thank you again, for the details goldenage, it seems like a perfect place to move to then. My wife and I both come from, and have lived in, tough areas around chicago, and want to spare our kids. We have gotten used to a small farm town. But have been dying to live near the ocean for years now. I spent 5 years in florida in Venice and cannot wait to be back near the ocean, but the schools there are dismal so we ruled Florida out. We are interested in the wilmington area as it will work well for our business and has all the amenities and prerequisites for us to thrive and bring something to the community.
We are going to come down while the kids are on spring break, and check out some areas. You mentioned that ogden is boring, what would you suggest in the area? We are nature freaks and I love birds, and outdoor activities and access to the beach is paramount.
again, thank you for your indepth info!
-alex

Old 02-11-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
You mentioned that ogden is boring, what would you suggest in the area? We are nature freaks and I love birds, and outdoor activities and access to the beach is paramount.
-alex
I meant simply that Ogden does not have a lot of cultural amenities like art galleries, museums or theater. If what you want is outdoor recreation, you will be fine.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-11-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 12:54 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Thank you again, for the details goldenage, it seems like a perfect place to move to then. My wife and I both come from, and have lived in, tough areas around chicago, and want to spare our kids. We have gotten used to a small farm town. But have been dying to live near the ocean for years now. I spent 5 years in florida in Venice and cannot wait to be back near the ocean, but the schools there are dismal so we ruled Florida out. We are interested in the wilmington area as it will work well for our business and has all the amenities and prerequisites for us to thrive and bring something to the community.
We are going to come down while the kids are on spring break, and check out some areas. You mentioned that ogden is boring, what would you suggest in the area? We are nature freaks and I love birds, and outdoor activities and access to the beach is paramount.
-alex
I'd recommend hitting the south end of Wrightsville Beach...lots of natural elements out there and birds. looks out over Masonboro Island, which is not developed. As well try Halyburton Park for the kids, there is a place to play, but also is mostly a natural passive park. Nearby you can go to the Alderman Preserve (behind Alderman School) and see the natural venus flytraps that only grow around Wilmington.

When you are driving around, see if you feel safe or not...I'm betting you would have no problems.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM

428 posts, read 810,722 times
So glad you posted this thread, i just subscribed. I am considering a move to near or in Wilmington, but i looked at the crime stats and they are 10 times that of my city (Duluth MN) which is about the same size as Wilmington; a ten fold increase in crime kind of scares me off from living in Wilmington, but I will study this thread. Often crime is compressed mostly to 5% of any city, same here where i live, but still, a ten fold increase compared my city is cause for concern.

Quote:
Hello,
My wife and I and our 3 kids are seriously considering moving to the wilmington area.
How prevalent is the crime around wilmington? the statistics online are really bad....

Old 02-21-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_obody999 View Post
So glad you posted this thread, i just subscribed. I am considering a move to near or in Wilmington, but i looked at the crime stats and they are 10 times that of my city (Duluth MN) which is about the same size as Wilmington; a ten fold increase in crime kind of scares me off from living in Wilmington, but I will study this thread. Often crime is compressed mostly to 5% of any city, same here where i live, but still, a ten fold increase compared my city is cause for concern.
Another factor is that it is too cold in Duluth for 6 month a year for anyone to be outside committing crimes.

As I mentioned before, I have no fear of shopping in Wilmington. The town where I live, Sneads Ferry, has 5-6000 people. The only crime we have had is a dummy who held up the drug store for pain pills. He got caught the next day. Most of the local crime has a connection to drug users or is domestic violence. I don't worry about that kind of crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina