Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 AM

58 posts, read 117,601 times

Advertisements

The Calabash area looks real nice to retire. Me being from Annapolis MD, have the same type of summer weather as you all have down there hot and humid but what we don't have here is Palmata bugs. Is this a big problem there like Florida or is it something that can be controlled?

john
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:47 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
if you're in Florida the "Palmetto bug" is the Florida woods cockroach.

if you're in SC or NC, the "Palmetto bug" is the American cockroach.

both are black and live outdoors, but the American cockroach is fast as lightning. The Florida roach is slow. If you're moving to Calabash, the American cockroach is the one you have in mind.

to answer your question, the american cockroach can be controlled, but not eradicated. They can live inside trees and their decaying root structure, or in piles of wood, piles of leaves, inside the soil.... the only real way to deal with them is to prevent them from entering or exiting your home.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
We have them everywhere. Just last night one was crawling across the ceiling of our bedroom. We just kill them and move on.

They are pretty gross, but one of the prices you pay for living near coast. I do not know anyone that does not have them inside from time to time.

We probably kill 20 - 25 a year inside, but we have an old, not very airtight home.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Wow, I have never seen one in my house since we have lived here, thats 7 years. I spray the foundation and lower walls 4 times a year so thats probably why I never see then. My inlaws do have them though.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:09 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Last night I left my salad bowl in the sink, filled with water and dish soap...

...and this morning I found one floating in it.

Do not like.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:41 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
if you're in Florida the "Palmetto bug" is the Florida woods cockroach.

if you're in SC or NC, the "Palmetto bug" is the American cockroach.

both are black and live outdoors, but the American cockroach is fast as lightning. The Florida roach is slow. If you're moving to Calabash, the American cockroach is the one you have in mind.

to answer your question, the american cockroach can be controlled, but not eradicated. They can live inside trees and their decaying root structure, or in piles of wood, piles of leaves, inside the soil.... the only real way to deal with them is to prevent them from entering or exiting your home.
Ours are not black - they are brown - - and Huge - but only see them every now and then - like flipping the porch light on real quick or something - thankfully none inside. These beasts are in Raleigh/Johnston as well as at the coast I guess, but on the list of bugs I hate, I don't give these guys a lot of thought (i.e. yellow jackets, sand hornets, fire ants, black widows, japanese beetles, etc)

Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimorecolt View Post
Is this a big problem there like Florida or is it something that can be controlled?
Some builders of new homes install tubes in the walls which can be filled with an insect repellant. Our house has TRAEX tubes, and so far nothing but small brown ants has gotten inside. Now, mosquitoes are a problem if you live near water, but that should not deter your if you would enjoy the area otherwise.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Ours are not black - they are brown - - and Huge - but only see them every now and then - like flipping the porch light on real quick or something - thankfully none inside. These beasts are in Raleigh/Johnston as well as at the coast I guess, but on the list of bugs I hate, I don't give these guys a lot of thought (i.e. yellow jackets, sand hornets, fire ants, black widows, japanese beetles, etc)
You're right that American cockroaches are dark brown. I called them "black" by mistake, because I didn't want the OP to confuse them with the german cockroach, which is an indoor cockroach that is light-medium brown.

if you have american cockroaches in your house it just means they are coming inside... your house is probably older or not well sealed. if you have german cockroaches it means they live inside.... so you're nasty and you need to clean up.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:18 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Contrary to several earlier implications my wife does keep a clean house...though no thanks to me. Ours are clearly American.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Yeah I want to add that I don't have the little german ones either ! My rental house is a 1940s cottage, wooded lot and I'm sure not well sealed.

And don't forget the oriental cockroach - they're big too - and they're here.

I did see a rather large skink dart out from some leaves and eat a huge cockroach the other day. I wanted to give him a high five.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina