Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,322 times

Advertisements

Hello folks! Could you help me out? We're house hunting in Raleigh next week, but have decided to make a trip to the beach as well!
Which beaches are the most family friendly? We have an almost two year old and plan to camp, so we need some place that has more to offer than just a beautiful views! Any suggestions or tips are really appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:07 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,402,880 times
i believe that carolina beach state park is the only plac to camp
in the wilmington area,
surely there more places as one goes north from here?
I know there is a camp ground on emerald isle, right on the sound.

why not tell us excactly "other than great views" you are
looking for?

that said, there are a few low cost motels in the area.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells&Booties View Post
Which beaches are the most family friendly? We have an almost two year old and plan to camp, so we need some place that has more to offer than just a beautiful views!
Most NC beaches are family friendly, but Carolina Beach is easy to get to from Raleigh. What does your two-year child need except some safe play equipment and a kiddie pool? I would "google'' for a campground that offers a toddler-safe playground.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:39 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,064,631 times
Yes, there are 3 campgrounds at Emerald Isle, including a Holiday Trav-L-Park Resort which offers a game room, craft projects and movie nights.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:38 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,606,834 times
Fort Fisher has an aquarium that is really great for kids (and adults! Albino alligator!) - the beach there also has decent bathrooms and outdoor showers, as well as a snack bar. You can camp nearby at Carolina Beach State Park (need to take the car to Ft. Fisher though). I think Carolina Beach itself has some games on their little boardwalk. That's where I'd go if I were you. Wrightsville is close as well but the aquarium also has a big megalodon shark jaw on exhibit now, and what kid doesn't want their picture taken inside that ? :-D

Old 08-09-2011, 05:43 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Fort Fisher has an aquarium that is really great for kids (and adults! Albino alligator!) - the beach there also has decent bathrooms and outdoor showers, as well as a snack bar. You can camp nearby at Carolina Beach State Park (need to take the car to Ft. Fisher though). I think Carolina Beach itself has some games on their little boardwalk. That's where I'd go if I were you. Wrightsville is close as well but the aquarium also has a big megalodon shark jaw on exhibit now, and what kid doesn't want their picture taken inside that ? :-D

Ditto, they need to make sure they can get in the camp ground on short notice.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,947,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBound2012 View Post
Why would you say this? This is the mentality that I feel I am up against. I moved from THE NORTH to the Raleigh area 3 years ago and find that many people are "friendly", but do not want to be your friend. Is it because we are northeners?
If you moved to a New England state from New York or New Jersey, you'd find resentment from the locals because New England has been inundated by leafers and NYers who want to remake New England into what they want it to be, rather than taking it on its own terms. Here in the Midwest, people from Wisconsin call Illinoisans who come to Wisconsin on vacation or buy home there FIBs. The I stands for Illinois, the other two letters for obscenities (use your imagination). The Carolinas have been inundated for decades by northerners moving south ... when I lived in the Research Triangle area in the 80s, many of the northerners I knew hung around with other northerners and spent their time griping about the backward southerners (and basically wondering why the south wasn't more like wherever it was they'd moved from).

I've lived in Naperville Illinois for over 20 years, and many people here are "friendly", but do not want to be your friend. There are good people and jerks wherever you go (including these forums), and you need to work at making personal connections. If you expect to find unpleasant people, you'll find unpleasant people ... and if you try to force the place you've moved to to conform to your expectations rather than taking it on its own terms, you'll run into a lot of resentment ... but that has little to do with whether you're in North Carolina, or Wisconsin, or Maine.

Just a personal opinion from a guy whose lived in a lot of different places ...

Old 08-13-2011, 05:47 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Why would you say this? This is the mentality that I feel I am up against. I moved from THE NORTH to the Raleigh area 3 years ago and find that many people are "friendly", but do not want to be your friend. Is it because we are northeners?
There are a lot of us my friend and some like us and others don't but we like each other

Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 PM

30 posts, read 61,095 times
Quote:
I have lived all over the world, including the North East USA.

the locals of ANY place want to keep "outsiders" out if at all possible

its not personal, just reality

if you move here and we run into eachother at the grocery store I would be the nicest person and help you in anyway I could but when deep down I want you to stay away I would wish you didnt move here.

make sense ?

Old 09-30-2011, 05:13 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozeberrypillboy View Post
I have lived all over the world, including the North East USA.

the locals of ANY place want to keep "outsiders" out if at all possible

its not personal, just reality

if you move here and we run into eachother at the grocery store I would be the nicest person and help you in anyway I could but when deep down I want you to stay away I would wish you didnt move here.

make sense ?
No, it doesn't make sense to me. I figure new people move to a community and bring added revenue in the form of property and income taxes, and purchases of goods and services. They sometimes open a business that employs people. They rent a place from a local landlord. They buy one of those homes that have been sitting on the MLS for months.

And I find it interesting to talk to them and learn about other areas of the US (or other countries, in some cases).

But I live in Phoenix, where (guessing here) 80-90% of the population over the age of 18 moved here from someplace else. Is it perfect? Absolutely not. We lose some of that neighborhood atmosphere - no Little Italy or Chinatown. But Newcomers are welcomed.

Contrary to my personal experiences, some of the comments here make me wonder if "Southern Hospitality" is overrated. I hope not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina