Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 AM

67 posts, read 157,426 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a field trip opportunity in the Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach or Carolina Beach area in early May. My older child has a field to MarineQuest. I called MarineQuest and they do not have any additional educational opps on the same day as my older child's field trip.

I know about the NC Aquarium and that's an option. It's not going to keep us busy all day.

I'm looking for an Eco Tour or Dolphin Watch or a quiet, safe location to play in the estuaries where my child can see some marine life.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 11:36 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccarty View Post
I know about the NC Aquarium and that's an option. It's not going to keep us busy all day.

I'm looking for an Eco Tour or Dolphin Watch or a quiet, safe location to play in the estuaries where my child can see some marine life.

Any suggestions?
I don't know of anything quite as organized as you described. But you could take your daughter to the Turtle Rescue Hospital in Surf City: The Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center - Surfcity

Old 01-16-2013, 05:07 PM

196 posts, read 576,398 times
Not sure their schedule but Ecological Marine Adventures in Topsail Beach might be a possibility too. Children's AQUARIUM / Marine Exploration Lab - Home

Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM

537 posts, read 1,769,034 times
would anything from this list from TripAdvisor be acceptable?
Things to do in Wilmington: Check out 29 Wilmington Attractions - TripAdvisor

Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM

67 posts, read 157,426 times
Thank you Goldenage1 and Wrestlingterp! We love Topsail but we need to stay more local to W.B.

Thank you LakesideAnnie! I searched Google for 2 days and found little in the way of what is listed on trip-advisor. I don't know why I didn't think to look there.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:35 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,866,370 times
I would recommend a bird watching cruise at Wrightsville Beach...here's a link.

Wrightsville Beach Scenic Tours - Wrightsville Beach NC - wrightsville-beachnc.com : Wrightsville Beach NC – wrightsville-beachnc.com

Don't forget the Battleship in Downtown Wilmington. Perfect for teenage (not good for small children). The Serpentarium downtown can work for both and for the younger crowd, the Children's Museum works well. Of course if you go downtown, you have to visit the Ice Cream shop on market, eat it on the federal courthouse steps. Finally, a horsedrawn carriage ride through the Historic District works for every age, IMO.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:15 PM

16 posts, read 52,958 times
There are lots of things to do, but few that will hold a "wteens" attention for the entire day. If you have the transportation, you can take in several different venues.....such as the Battleship, the Aquarium, the Serpentarium, the Museums (Childrens and New Hanover), or even just spend the day at the beach....maybe trying surfing lessons.

There is a lot to do near the Aquarium....with walking paths around the area, as well as the beach nearby. You could also take the Fort Fisher/Southport Ferry, for a change of pace too......it's just down the road!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM

27 posts, read 73,956 times
Try a kayak tour, several local places offer them. Usually 3-4 hours and includes kayak.
Zekes Island near aquarium is awesome for kayaks, Masonboro Island near Wrightsville is also good.

Hook Line and Paddle | Wilmington NC Leader in Kayaks, SUP, Kayak Fishing & Outdoor Sports
Kayak Tours - Kayak Carolina - Guided Tours, Rentals and Instruction
Mahanaim Adventures || Kayaking, Canoeing & Backpacking Adventures | Wilmington, NC & Surrounding Areas

Old 02-04-2013, 02:33 PM

6 posts, read 9,257 times
I would highly recommend a trip to the Trinity Center at Pine Knoll Shores. It included educational activities both on the beach and in the sound. I chaperoned a class trip of 6th graders there 2 years ago, and it seemed to keep them pretty well entertained.
Trinity Center Home Page

Old 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,073,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketlizard View Post
I would highly recommend a trip to the Trinity Center at Pine Knoll Shores.....Trinity Center Home Page
It's good to know they also offer classes for seniors under the Road Scholar (Elderhostel) program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina