Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 09:19 AM

34 posts, read 26,514 times

Advertisements

We are currently looking from Shallotte to Calabash for a home to put down final retirement roots.

We currently have 2 dogs that grew up on our farm, and one takes her job as guard dog very seriously. We are looking for a neighborhood that is walkable, with decent sized lots, enough privacy, that we can put up a privacy fence (if not already existing) so that our dogs are less triggered by outside activity. We do not want to be annoying to our neighbors. We do love our dogs tremendously, tho, and their comfort is a priority, AND, effects ours as well.

(Yes, I know all about training, anxieties, and all that goes along with a dog that can has too much guard resourcing, so I do not need input on that. She is 9, getting on in years, slowing down, and we lived somewhere rural in the past where I was alone a lot, and she did a great job at deterring anyone from our farm. It's not horrific, but we want to find some place where all involved have as much peace as possible.)

We do not want to build. We'd love to find an existing home with mature trees, shaded backyard, big enough for them to run in, 1/2 - 1/4 acre minimum. We don't need a lot of landscaping. A community with amenities would be nice, but isn't a priority. Close enough to typical needs such as grocery stores, restaurants, etc. A retired friendly demographic would be great.

Also, I know there is a negative attachment to "transplants" for which I am sorry, but understand. We aren't looking to make changes to where we move. We are hoping for a peaceful, happy home, friendly folks, fun stuff to do, access to in and outdoor activities, maybe some local live music to enjoy, welcoming churches, and to be able to walk the beach daily.

Would love helpful and on point input from those in the know. Much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 10:07 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
I know it is not in your desired location, but I recommend my neighborhood, Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry. It ha nice amenities, is close to stores, and there are about 20 friendly retired neighbors. The majority of neighborhoods are transplants, as many are military. Their kids are well-behaved. I suggest looking at this house on Zillow, as it is one-story and has a fence on a shaded 1/4 acre: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...99893798_zpid/

BTW, if you want to walk to the beach, your price is going to be at least $1 million. Would you consider 2 miles to the beach walkable? In our area, you could park and walk to the beach after driving about 5 miles. Dogs are welcome only in the off season.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-07-2023 at 10:20 AM..

Old 12-07-2023, 11:34 AM

Also take a look at this fenced place at 1697 Lake Tree Drive SW, Ocean Isle Beach, NC 28469:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...97979406_zpid/

Old 12-07-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I know it is not in your desired location, but I recommend my neighborhood, Mimosa Bay in Sneads Ferry. It ha nice amenities, is close to stores, and there are about 20 friendly retired neighbors. The majority of neighborhoods are transplants, as many are military. Their kids are well-behaved. I suggest looking at this house on Zillow, as it is one-story and has a fence on a shaded 1/4 acre: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...99893798_zpid/

BTW, if you want to walk to the beach, your price is going to be at least $1 million. Would you consider 2 miles to the beach walkable? In our area, you could park and walk to the beach after driving about 5 miles. Dogs are welcome only in the off season.

We really are not interested in that area. Sigh. thanks anyways, but we've done the research to at least have honed in on the area specified.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:39 AM

We have access to MLS. Looking for answers to what the post stated specifically. thanks for trying to be helpful

Old 12-07-2023, 11:50 AM

17 posts, read 16,975 times
Might help to clarify if you need to be within walking distance of a beach and what your budget is.

As to the northerner stuff, if you don't raise the issue it won't be an issue. Plenty of northerner haters on social media but I've never experienced one in person down here.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimondgrl View Post
We really are not interested in that area. Sigh. thanks anyways, but we've done the research to at least have honed in on the area specified.
I realize you wanted to walk on the beach daily, not to the beach. Please disregard my comment on price.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-07-2023 at 12:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2023, 04:33 PM

Honestly, I am looking for input on the areas, not to look at listings. We are doing that on our own. I am trying to get input on the areas mentioned, but thanks for trying to be helpful.

Old 12-07-2023, 07:35 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Sorry, I blew right past the Shallotte to Calabash preference, so I was suggesting Southport and BSL.

My suggestion now that I'm thinking clearly is Carolina Shores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina