Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 07:45 AM

401 posts, read 529,345 times

Advertisements

So I have been in Wrightsville Beach for the last week and for the last few days - 24 hours a day - every single one of the big parking pay stations all along every point on the beach have all been totally wrapped in plastic. No signs, no information, nothing on the website(s) - nothing. So with the lack of any new information, I continued to both get up at 5am and make sure I was gone by 9am and then sit around all afternoon waiting for 6pm so I could park. Well this morning, I got tired of the total lack of any information so I called the parking office and spoke with someone who did not know what I was talking about then told me that I didn't have to worry about it today. I explained that I would have the same question tomorrow, and every day that the situation remained as it is now - so what was I supposed to do - call back every day and ask the same thing? (I was joking) - and her answer was, "yes". Give me a break. If the town is that bad about having anyone proficient in communications for something this basic, they really need to either train or hire someone who actually can provide updates and information regarding changes to the public when something like this is going on. I only call as a last resort after checking Facebook, Twitter, the town's websites, the local media - and of course what should have been the very first thing they did - which would have been to post a sign explaining the change, what it was for and what it meant. My initial assumption was that it was to protect the pay stations from water damage from the storm but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 08:02 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Nice rant. At some point, one must wonder if the problem is with one's self.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:05 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,554,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
So I have been in Wrightsville Beach for the last week and for the last few days - 24 hours a day - every single one of the big parking pay stations all along every point on the beach have all been totally wrapped in plastic. No signs, no information, nothing on the website(s) - nothing. So with the lack of any new information, I continued to both get up at 5am and make sure I was gone by 9am and then sit around all afternoon waiting for 6pm so I could park. Well this morning, I got tired of the total lack of any information so I called the parking office and spoke with someone who did not know what I was talking about then told me that I didn't have to worry about it today. I explained that I would have the same question tomorrow, and every day that the situation remained as it is now - so what was I supposed to do - call back every day and ask the same thing? (I was joking) - and her answer was, "yes". Give me a break. If the town is that bad about having anyone proficient in communications for something this basic, they really need to either train or hire someone who actually can provide updates and information regarding changes to the public when something like this is going on. I only call as a last resort after checking Facebook, Twitter, the town's websites, the local media - and of course what should have been the very first thing they did - which would have been to post a sign explaining the change, what it was for and what it meant. My initial assumption was that it was to protect the pay stations from water damage from the storm but who knows.
Sounds like you may have answered your own question. Those machines are all electronic, and with the path of the hurricane originally being projected to hit NC, I'm sure they wanted to protect the machines as best they could from the damaging winds & rain.

Seriously though, why is this really a huge deal (which it seems to be for you)? Are you unable to pay to park because of the plastic and you're worried about getting a ticket? I would assume that if they are all wrapped in plastic and you don't have access to pay, the "meter maids" would not be able to write any tickets or check on the validity of the parking meters.

Old 09-12-2017, 12:23 PM

1,292 posts, read 1,600,194 times
I'm guessing either a) it was to protect them [although we get thunderstorms that bad in the summer time] or b) something has malfunctioned and whether it's a or b, they don't want to promote the fact that it's free to park right now.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:39 PM

709 posts, read 578,488 times
Typically after Labor Day in most tourist towns, parking is free. Also, wrapping them in plastic keeps sand from blowing into the crevices and destroying the inside....just my opinion tho!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: