Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM

7 posts, read 15,807 times

Advertisements

Just checking to see what made those of you make a long distance move to Coastal Carolina? Specifically those that don't have other family there. I have been offered a job in New Bern, NC and it's about 6 hours away from family. We live in the New River Valley Area (think close to VA Tech) and are still weighing our options

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 11:09 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopMcGhee View Post
Just checking to see what made those of you make a long distance move to Coastal Carolina? Specifically those that don't have other family there. I have been offered a job in New Bern, NC and it's about 6 hours away from family. We live in the New River Valley Area (think close to VA Tech) and are still weighing our options
We are at an age where we do not need to be close to families. We are happy to have the closest ones 80 miles away. We retired here for the peace and open space and proximity to good ocean fishing.

Many of the comments in this forum suggest that there is little to do for young people in New Bern, and that it may be better for retired people. I think New Bern is an interesting town for one so small. However, one should evaluate whether one would be happy there as a factor in accepting a job offer.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:39 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times
I don't consider a 6 hr drive a "long distance move."

We moved in 2005 from Portland, OR to Greenville, NC. Had never been south of New Jersey before our first visit to check out the area. Have no family nearby - closest is in NJ, with most in Utah, Nevada, and Washington State. Didn't know a soul in NC when we moved.

We love North Carolina. Greenville was too small for my wife; we have since moved just south of Winston-Salem. Ideally, we'd be closer to family, but this is apparently where we're supposed to be at this time.

Old 03-21-2014, 02:17 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I moved from Charlotte because I liked the historical deal and thought fishing would be great. I think the water quality in the Neuse has gone downhill. I wish now we had moved to Morehead City. I also picked a school where I wanted to teach, but I could have done that from MHC, too. I think New Bern is a lot better than what a lot of the haters say, but I would never leave the New Valley for New Bern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina