Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 12:13 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,696 times

Advertisements

Am I stupid for considering this for a job? I am currently gainfully employed but expect a signifgant raise and title bump.

My primary question is the commute from Washington to Greenville reasonable.

What would I tell/show my wife to excite her about moving.

I am born and raised in south eastern NC so I don't need any generally ENC comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 12:38 PM

3,086 posts, read 4,862,234 times
Is the work in Washington or Greenville?

Old 08-08-2018, 12:46 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,395 times
The commute between "little" Washington and Greenville should be ~30 minutes.

If you like college football, ECU football games are a blast (even though they are struggling of late).

We lived in Greenville from 2005-2009. I know it would be difficult for my wife to get excited about moving from Raleigh to Greenville. But...housing cost should be considerably lower. The home we had in Greenville is valued at around $300k now. A similar home would be $400k or more in the Triad (where we live now) and probably well over $500k in the Triangle. If renting, I would expect rent costs to be a fair amount less in eastern NC than the Triangle. I'm not familiar with Washington prices. I like that Washington NC has a small waterfront area...not counting the banks of the Tar, that's lacking in Greenville.

Old 08-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Is the work in Washington or Greenville?
Ecu

Old 08-08-2018, 02:31 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,363 times
Washington has the best waterfront around. Not much in business/shopping though. I like the Pirate Cove neighborhood down River Road for new housing.

Last edited by Phil A. Delphia; 08-08-2018 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-08-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Washington has the best waterfront around. Not much in business/shopping though. I like the Pirates Cove neighborhood down River Road for new housing.
What other living situations would you recommend in the area

We would have a decent chunk of equity to throw into a house i am thinking low 3 range.

I dont want to live in a closely packed house subdivision

I dont want to deal with college students either

I am rather tired of Durham but I know well the reputation of Greenville and I'm not unemployed so I'm trying to identify an angle of moving that upgrades our lifestyle (near water, cheaper RE, maybe a nicer neighborhood(i dont see that many nice n-hoods)).

Like I said I hung out in fayetville and lumberton and didnt hate it but I have a kid and dont necessarily want to subject her to that lifestyle either

obviously there would be risk and hassle involved.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:28 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,767,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
What other living situations would you recommend in the area

We would have a decent chunk of equity to throw into a house i am thinking low 3 range.

I dont want to live in a closely packed house subdivision

I dont want to deal with college students either

I am rather tired of Durham but I know well the reputation of Greenville and I'm not unemployed so I'm trying to identify an angle of moving that upgrades our lifestyle (near water, cheaper RE, maybe a nicer neighborhood(i dont see that many nice n-hoods)).

Like I said I hung out in fayetville and lumberton and didnt hate it but I have a kid and dont necessarily want to subject her to that lifestyle either

obviously there would be risk and hassle involved.

Iron Creek would put you on the very western edge of Washington, which would make the commute to Greenville a breeze.

You could probably find a decently priced home in the country as well. Don't forget to look between Greenville and Chocowinity, especially between Greenville and Grimesland along/off Hwy 33. A realtor that works/knows both Greenville and Washington would be helpful.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:10 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,554,270 times
Greenville is growing at a surprisingly fast rate, especially in it's downtown core. I think the big bonus would be cost of living. The thing you could show your wife is a nice house in the 250-300k range in the Greenville area that would easily be a 350-400k+ home in Raleigh. You would more than likely have a larger yard in a less crowded neighborhood.

If you're more set on living outside of Greenville and commuting, areas like Farmville or Wilson may be a option. Farmville is roughly 15-20 minutes from Greenville and Wilson is about 35-40 minutes. The reason they may be options is that they are closer to the Triangle so that traveling to places and events you may miss in the Triangle are within an hours drive. Greenville is only about an 80 minute drive to the Triangle. It's not like you'd be moving your family across the country. You'd still be able to visit the triangle often if you get homesick or get too bored on a Saturday.

But Greenville is still a good place to live and improving. They have your run of the mill national chain restaurants & stores, along with a growing list of quality local / regional restaurants and boutiques. ECU is a huge part of Greenville and most of the events and national acts that would come to provide "culture" will come from them. But 99% of the time you favorite band or broadway level play will not be coming to Greenville for any reason. You'll still have to go to the DPAC or PNC Arena to catch them. I assume that since you have a kid, nightlife is not a huge priority. But if you are looking for something to do in the evening, there are nice breweries and restaurants in the downtown area.

It will take some getting used to, no doubt. But I think you could certainly raise a family and overall be happy in Greenville. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2018, 11:18 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,862,234 times
If you have kids, just note that the culture shock coming from Raleigh to Beaufort Co schools would be pretty big.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
If you have kids, just note that the culture shock coming from Raleigh to Beaufort Co schools would be pretty big.
What about from bladen county 96/100 to Beaufort county schools. Also I’m in Durham

I’m not opposed to living in Greenville I don’t feel right now the city itself has a reputation of family friendly I am told to picture ghetto or college kids acting nuts

It would be a good job for me but my wife would leave her career and have to find something so really I feel like if the position went forward feeling like we could live a better family life would be the kicker to go through w it and it’s hard to predict

Last edited by hey_guy; 08-09-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina