Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 09:21 AM

4 posts, read 3,697 times

Advertisements

Morning everyone. I just had a quick question regarding the general way HOA and gardening are in Costal NC communities. I am still eye'ing the Pender county area for my family and relation. One of the questions I had was specifically gardening and HOA. I live in Upstate NY in a farm friendly neighborhood and don't have a lot of experience with HOA in general. What I am wondering is as I am looking at property and homes in the Pender area I notice most if not 99% don't have a garden or much in the way of anything on their property other than lawn.

Is this just a lifestyle thing where most don't garden or is it actually restrictions from HOA that prevent a person for putting a garden in their backyard.

This move for my family and I would be for the long term. We want to put roots down figuratively and literally so I am curious.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 09:26 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martoq74 View Post
Is this just a lifestyle thing where most don't garden or is it actually restrictions from HOA that prevent a person for putting a garden in their backyard.
HOAs will generally prohibit you from putting vegetables in the front yard. However, if you have a sunny back yard, you can usually put in a garden. But check the covenants, as they may restict even that.

I have struggled with getting anything to grow in the local sandy soil that has no nutrients. The only way I have been successful is to build a raised bed and buy a load of topsoil. It would probably help to have a drip irrigation system, as you have to water frequently with the heat we have been getting lately.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:10 PM

4 posts, read 3,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
HOAs will generally prohibit you from putting vegetables in the front yard. However, if you have a sunny back yard, you can usually put in a garden. But check the covenants, as they may restict even that.

I have struggled with getting anything to grow in the local sandy soil that has no nutrients. The only way I have been successful is to build a raised bed and buy a load of topsoil. It would probably help to have a drip irrigation system, as you have to water frequently with the heat we have been getting lately.

Similarly here there are town bylaws and such not unlike HOA rules. It sounds like it will really depend on the area we end up in so I guess that will have to be on the list.

Appreciate the tips, especially on the soil type. Where I am now it is predominently rock soil due to the area being glacier formed so in the end I did exactly as you described, raised beds with drip irrigation on a timer. Works quite well!

Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina