Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2015, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 2,976 times

Advertisements

I am trying to decide on moving to Southport from Indiana. I want a change and to finish my college degree. Is Southport teenager friendly? I have a 14 year old son moving with me. Does anyone have any information on properties for rent in the area or someone I can call to find a home to rent, and any nursing or medical jobs opened? Any information will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 04:47 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstephens80 View Post
I am trying to decide on moving to Southport from Indiana. I want a change and to finish my college degree. ..... Does anyone have any information on properties for rent in the area or someone I can call to find a home to rent, and any nursing or medical jobs opened?
Southport is an extremely small market to have as your only destination. There are many other nice cities where you could have a change and finish a college degree. I hope you investigate for some alternatives.

Regarding college: You will have to establish North Carolia residency for one year before you are eligible for in-state tuition. UNCW is the closest 4-year college. Does it have a degree program in your field?

For medical jobs check the hospital system: Dosher Memorial Hospital: Online Employment Center .
You could also check New Hanover Memorial in Wilmington here: https://www.nhrmc.org/careers/search-apply-for-jobs There is a lot of competion for jobs as many other people like yourself want to move to the area.

Regarding places to rent, there are the usual options: Realtor.com and Craigslist for Wilmington. Also check the Port City Daily or Star-News for classified ads.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
any nursing or medical jobs opened?
Try Novant Health in Brunswick County, NC. Case Manager RN Job | Monster.com

Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Southport is an extremely small market to have as your only destination. There are many other nice cities where you could have a change and finish a college degree. I hope you investigate for some alternatives.

Regarding college: You will have to establish North Carolia residency for one year before you are eligible for in-state tuition. UNCW is the closest 4-year college. Does it have a degree program in your field?

For medical jobs check the hospital system: Dosher Memorial Hospital: Online Employment Center .
You could also check New Hanover Memorial in Wilmington here: https://www.nhrmc.org/careers/search-apply-for-jobs There is a lot of competion for jobs as many other people like yourself want to move to the area.

Regarding places to rent, there are the usual options: Realtor.com and Craigslist for Wilmington. Also check the Port City Daily or Star-News for classified ads.
Thank you for all your help

Old 10-21-2015, 03:12 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Thank you for all your help
There were questions in there--if you would answer them, people could assist more. But Southport does seem like an odd place to pick "out of the blue" to move to, especially needing a college and you don't say whether you've looked into UNC-W or not.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:24 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
There were questions in there--if you would answer them, people could assist more. But Southport does seem like an odd place to pick "out of the blue" to move to, especially needing a college and you don't say whether you've looked into UNC-W or not.
Nicholas Sparks strikes again.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Is Southport teenager friendly? I have a 14 year old son moving with me.
Residents of Southport will tell you there are plenty of teen-agers around. However, it is fairly quiet in the winter. I believe your son would have more to do and perhaps better schools in Wilmington or another larger city.

The most important thing is to locate an appropriate job, and the rest will follow. I really suggest broadening the search for a job. For example, Greenville is know for being a medical center, and East Carlina University offers excellent education in medical specialties. One could live 1.5 hours from the beach and work in Greenville.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Nicholas Sparks strikes again.
Friends of our family use to vacation in southport when i was a child. I went with them a few times but i was just a child and i don't remember much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina