Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would be better?
Cities not run by developers 2 12.50%
Cities that don't allow clear-cutting 4 25.00%
A cottage would be nice 3 18.75%
I don't understand the Poll option 7 43.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 07:10 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieNYC View Post
The comments here speak for themselves. I recently spoke to the city council, along with a bunch of other folks, who then ignored all our pleas and approved an unnecessary grocery store and 14-pump gas station at the already heavily-traveled, over-capacity intersection of Carolina Beach Road and Independence Blvd.

I do take the "NIMBY" comments seriously, and can only say that I welcome development that's done between the trees, and not after they have all been bull-dozed down. The campus of UNCW is an excellent example of that kind of development.

I have photos to post, but can't figure out how. Anyone want to help? I want to upload them from my computer.
Which kind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 10:21 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,981,545 times
You are just totally wrong if you don't think UNCW is carefully landscaped it wasn't just "like that"

Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,981,545 times
Now it IS a fair question why don't developer leave any green space and well

Trees don't pay taxes or pay anything really

Old 10-14-2016, 06:15 AM

20 posts, read 24,981 times
I wasn't saying that the UNCW campus was left wild; I was saying that a number of trees were carefully preserved while the campus was being built. It was a cause of some controversy and is the lasting legacy of James Leutze. James Leutze: City needs to minimize tree loss - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

There's no paper clip on "quick reply," so will look elsewhere.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:46 AM

13,715 posts, read 12,459,737 times
Quote:
I wasn't saying that the UNCW campus was left wild; I was saying that a number of trees were carefully preserved while the campus was being built. It was a cause of some controversy and is the lasting legacy of James Leutze. James Leutze: City needs to minimize tree loss - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

Small comfort to you I'm sure, but many of those big trees on any amount of acreage were planted as marketable timber, and cutting them is no different in the eyes of most stakeholders than combining a soybean field. It was the original intent.

If it makes you feel any better, pine trees grow fast.

On a secondary note, OP, why don't you move downtown Wilmington or even some other beach town? You moved into a townhouse in a subdivision from Manhattan. While nothing will ever compare with NYC, you might find more of a pedestrian culture of more like minded folks closer to the city center. It sounds like where you're at is full of folks taking their kids to soccer practice. This would of course mean living in an older dwelling, but you could figure it out.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:55 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,393,114 times
Quote:

Not correct. The site of UNC-W was a vast pine forest that was clear cut when the campus was first built. See the attached pics. What you see now is the result of 40+ years of landscaping growth.
Attached Thumbnails
Wilmington, NC: concrete, clear-cutting, could care less-uncw.jpg   Wilmington, NC: concrete, clear-cutting, could care less-unw2.bmp  

Old 10-15-2016, 10:51 AM

8,389 posts, read 4,379,257 times
Call me Mr Obvious but ... what ever.

1 - First,, you don't sound happy where you are, e.g. "First big mistake was....."

2 - Second, " I can make money on this house".

3 - Third ..... sell and move some where that makes you happy.

Complaining because banging your head into the wall gives you a head ache is not the solution.

Old 10-16-2016, 09:57 AM

Default The solution...

Dear Mr. Obvious,

Yes! For those in this thread who accuse me of not doing my research, I can only plead to being human. My finances and store of available energy are finite. It's incredibly challenging to try to focus on having a happy, involved, meaningful life in the place where you are, and also to do research into places where you might flourish.

(I spent as much time as possible in Wilmington before moving here, and read about it online, especially in this forum, in addition to reading about cities all over the country. Preparing my apartment for sale in NYC was a full-time job for 3 months; I also did not have the funds to temporarily relocate to another city to "see how it felt.")

My main concern on leaving Manhattan was to go where I had family. The most obvious choice was Wilmington, because my family here are all kind and helpful -- and available. And it's not Minnesota.

To move to another city where I have no family or close loved ones is a daunting prospect.

To relocate to another city for a month or two in order to research what it feels like to live there requires a steep financial investment, and is also a huge disruption in the life I am building here in Wilmington.

So yes, it's easy to say that I don't sound happy here, I should sell out and move, but actually making that happen -- reaching "escape velocity" so to speak, is a much bigger and more challenging proposition.

Old 11-13-2016, 10:35 AM

Yesterday (11/12/16) a friend from the other side of town came to pick me up. "I just drove by the new mall on 17th and Independence," she said. "How do you stand driving by there every day? It literally made me want to cry."

And that's how so many of us feel about the thousands of trees that provided habitat, oxygen, and even protection from hurricane winds -- trees that were clear cut in order for this new mall to be built. The site is hideous to look at; it's filling the local airways with dust as the grading machines move sand back and forth, adding top soil; and the few trees that were preserved on the site have experienced damage from Hurricane Matthew, some of them having been toppled.

She went on to say, "What are they thinking?" meaning the city leaders, and expressed a desire to move to Edisto Island.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:52 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,867,198 times
Quote:
Yesterday (11/12/16) a friend from the other side of town came to pick me up. "I just drove by the new mall on 17th and Independence," she said. "How do you stand driving by there every day? It literally made me want to cry."

And that's how so many of us feel about the thousands of trees that provided habitat, oxygen, and even protection from hurricane winds -- trees that were clear cut in order for this new mall to be built. The site is hideous to look at; it's filling the local airways with dust as the grading machines move sand back and forth, adding top soil; and the few trees that were preserved on the site have experienced damage from Hurricane Matthew, some of them having been toppled.

She went on to say, "What are they thinking?" meaning the city leaders, and expressed a desire to move to Edisto Island.
You do know that many of the trees were burned down in a major fire by homeless people in 2012.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uX3xWaccto

Additionally, the City bought the Halyburton Park site across the street in the early 90's, which has a 58 acre nature preserve and 1.3 mile walking trail. It has received 5 star reviews for its natural landscape. So obviously the City of Wilmington is committed to preservation.

Finally, as has been stated before, much of the dirt being moved will make for retention ponds, specifically a large one between the development and the existing Food Lion shopping center, that birds and such will use. What it looks like now (during construction) will not be what it looks like permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina