Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 PM

300 posts, read 474,421 times

Advertisements

There seem to be some "issues' at Ocean Ridge Plantation with the developer.

Property developer suing his own residents.
Property developer suing his own residents - WECT TV6-WECT.com:News, weather & sports Wilmington, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,502,132 times
The Developer, Saunders, is a slime ball. Suit will be thrown out of court. Anyone who owns a home or a vacant lot is assessed a yearly 1 time payment of roughly 1000.00 for annual association dues which keeps the development running. Saunders supposedly has been paying the assessment for some 8 years for the unsold lots he still owns. Out of the blue he writes the homeowners association demanding a 8 year refund on all the lots he had owned saying he is exempt from the payments. This is the same guy who bought Jaguars Lair and presold many lots to people for up to 200k and above and decided to stop the development These poor people are out the 200k they paid for their lots. Suit is for $640,000 dollars against the Homeowners Association. Just mention the name Mark Saunders down here and wait to you see peoples facial reactions. Freaking priceless as we say in NJ.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:34 PM

11 posts, read 33,874 times
biscman,

You pretty much nailed it, but it didn't get thrown out -- it was settled about a month ago. No one knows what the settlement was as it seems the HOA board signed an NDA. That has many ticked off. In time, when the bills can be seen, an idea of how much the HOA agreed to pay, will, maybe, be clearer -- but how will the home owners know if the payment is monthly, quarterly, or what? The lawsuit was very interesting; ccr's internally inconsistent, defense claims of failure to mitigate, laches/dirty hands, but the big kicker was the HOA back in 2010 when it took over, contracted with Saunders for management services! As a result, when the lawsuit hit, the management did not turn over the community's records, necessitating court action, and his employees, as management, were consistently at the table when confidential attorney/client communications were discussed. The Board, imo, was pretty much in Saunder's back pocket all along, and the result was an inability to use common sense when it came to their fiduciary duties to home owners. I could write a book!

Old 06-15-2018, 10:03 AM

605 posts, read 1,258,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon2013 View Post
biscman,

You pretty much nailed it, but it didn't get thrown out -- it was settled about a month ago. No one knows what the settlement was as it seems the HOA board signed an NDA. That has many ticked off. In time, when the bills can be seen, an idea of how much the HOA agreed to pay, will, maybe, be clearer -- but how will the home owners know if the payment is monthly, quarterly, or what? The lawsuit was very interesting; ccr's internally inconsistent, defense claims of failure to mitigate, laches/dirty hands, but the big kicker was the HOA back in 2010 when it took over, contracted with Saunders for management services! As a result, when the lawsuit hit, the management did not turn over the community's records, necessitating court action, and his employees, as management, were consistently at the table when confidential attorney/client communications were discussed. The Board, imo, was pretty much in Saunder's back pocket all along, and the result was an inability to use common sense when it came to their fiduciary duties to home owners. I could write a book!
getting readReady to build in Ocean Ridge plantation and as far as I know houses are still going up like crazy two of our friends just made settlement and a third has been here for over a year now I haven’t heard any bad about anything

Old 06-19-2018, 08:22 AM

Jax

I sat for 2 hours through to town hall meeting last month for over 2 hours last month. Settlement was announced but as you said very little details. One of the key issues brought up was the topic of security and safety. Board gave the 250 people in attendance the topic will be seriously addressed especially the back entrance off Castlebrook Way onto Old Georgetown Road. Now yesterday afternoon we get a email blast that the Guards at the Rt 17 entrance will be let go do to a lease expiration issue. Now we have no secured gates except after dark on 904 and we will have less security and safety than we had before. Email they sent out was priceless trying to pacify us by saying a guard will be checking for parking pass at beach house. Obviously this has nothing to do with the security and safety to the homeowners and residents where they live within the plantation. Actually it was insulting trying to think this would put people at ease. Priceless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxon2013 View Post
biscman,

Old 10-07-2018, 03:06 AM

3 posts, read 9,747 times
Default Coastal settlement

A few of us requested to review our financials and saw the amount our community paid. It was something like 210k. Since then, the community stopped maintaining property that is owned by the coastal. There is no longer a watchman at the main entrance. Which doesn’t upset me at all. No flowers will be planted, irrigation off, grass not being cut. We don’t own it so we aren’t maintaining it.Yesterday coastal decided to block the entrance at Old Georgetown at will. Using that rickety old red and white arm to which they added colored ribbons. The emergency access to this arm is still broken so emergency vehicles won’t be able to gain access. There was an issue re connecting Dartmoor with a state road at this entrance and developer needed to install turning lanes. NCDOT responded to the complaints of owners and NCDOT paid for the turning lanes with the agreement that coastal would reimburse. Closing this entrance, in my opinion, is a punitive action and I will be taking this up with NCDOT on Monday. Likewise our declaration reads that owners egress/ingress cannot be denied and I think that is what is happening. Don’t know the law but will do some research. You may have noticed that many of the ponds are not being maintained. Just lovely.

Old 10-07-2018, 04:57 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
I guess I will pass on the invite I just received to come and check the place out

Old 10-09-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
I guess I will pass on the invite I just received to come and check the place out
Sorry to say, you have to be a fool right now to accept that invitation. The golf courses are a mess (recently a huge group of Canadians declared they would never be back), the ponds are full of scum and algae, and water lilies, going eutrophic. Many, many golfers have taken their membership elsewhere. The amenities, like the pool and clubhouse, are overcrowded because the developer never built what was promised, like an additional pool. Dead trees have endangered residents on property still owned by the developer, and Coastal Companies has refused to remove them, and now he has blocked the Old Georgetown entrance to emergency vehicles after 5 pm, further endangering residents. But the coup de gras is the architectural review committee, which is controlled by the developer, is allowing spec housing which does not conform to our design specifications, not in building and not in landscaping. As they say, "There goes the neighborhood!"

Old 10-09-2018, 05:30 PM

Spec housing is now permitted? Wow, how did you hear that?

Old 05-02-2019, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Spec housing is now permitted? Wow, how did you hear that?
Sorry, I did not have the notifications thing turned on so did not see this. I should not have used that word, but I think you got my gist -- not spec, OR has always allowed speculation building, I meant tract homes.
Go to the Rip Tide Office -- in that strip mall across from Fibbers, and ask for the brochure on Ocean Ridge Plantation (trademarked so not allowed to use UNLESS Saunder's has ok'd it via some deal!). See the possible tract homes that can be built. Then take a drive to Summerhill Glenn (brown brick), and Summerfield Place (gray one as you enter) -- have your design requirements with you! Note amendment 25.

A realtor friend in the Plantation tells me about the high "finders fee" they are paying -- realtors are pushing them, even realtos in OR because -- hey, a buck in the hand! Bring the custom home prices down in the long run, hurt the realtors in the long run, but everything is about the do-ray-me, today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina