Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:53 PM

53 posts, read 89,738 times

Advertisements

Relocating and wanted to know if anyone has any information on the areas of Shallotte, Southport, Boiling Spring Lakes, and surrounding areas? We are looking for a fairly large home, maybe with an inlaw suite/apt. Love having a yard. Also, we have a 16 year old daughter, so we want to be where there are other teens around her age and older, and things for them to do. We visited Shallotte in March, but didn't see many teens at all, even went to the bowling alley there and not one single teenager. Where would they all be? She does not want us to end up in an area that is basically senior citizens and no chances to make friends in the neighborhood. Also, would like the area to be safe, low crime. Any help would be great! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 01:04 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschmand66 View Post
Relocating and wanted to know if anyone has any information on the areas of Shallotte, Southport, Boiling Spring Lakes, and surrounding areas? ... Also, we have a 16 year old daughter, so we want to be where there are other teens around her age and older, and things for them to do. We visited Shallotte in March, but didn't see many teens at all, even went to the bowling alley there and not one single teenager. Where would they all be? She does not want us to end up in an area that is basically senior citizens and no chances to make friends in the neighborhood.
Since Brunswick County is attracting numerous retirees, I suggest you re-direct your search to Wilmington and perhaps Carolina Beach. The teen-ager will be attending college soon, and she would have the resources of UNCW and Cape Fear Community College there.

I also think it will be easier to find a house with an in-law suite in Wilmington. The huge majority of Wilmington neighborhoods are safe.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:24 PM

I have been doing a little research in the Wilmington area, and we did visit Leland, but the homes we looked at were very cookie-cutter and right on top of each other. I know there are areas in Wilmington that has older homes, with more character, and a little more yard. Can you tell me maybe what areas in Wilmington to stay away from (as far as crime and too much traffic, etc. )? Also, my husband is a carpenter, plus a part time maintenance manager for a senior housing complex, so he will need to be able to find plenty of work.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:36 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
You had some good information provided on this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...t-vs-east.html

I live in Southport, and there are definitely teenagers here. Its a small town, and Brunswick County does have a lot of retirees, but South Brunswick High School is right up the road and has an enrollment of 1,000, so there are teenagers around.

The best areas in Wilmington are away from downtown, especially the area south of Shipyard Blvd. and Oleander Dr.

Boiling Spring Lakes is very quiet, safe and almost exclusively residential.

Whats your house budget?

Old 06-16-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Can you tell me maybe what areas in Wilmington to stay away from (as far as crime and too much traffic, etc. )? Also, my husband is a carpenter, plus a part time maintenance manager for a senior housing complex, so he will need to be able to find plenty of work.
The higher crime areas are the low-income and public housing surrounding downtown. Further out, roughly east of 23rd St, and north of Market Street would be OK. I'd also suggest avoiding apartment complexes with students who tend to party.

If your husband is a good, reliable handyman, he should be able to find plenty of self-employment work. I am sure there are also maintenance jobs in the aprtment complexes.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:03 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
Smithville Woods in Southport is nice for families. Larger lots........kids.........and no pesky HOA. All different styles of homes.

But of course........we don't know your budget.

Heck, the high school I graduated from on Long Island, NY......only had 1200 when I went there...decades ago........now..it's around 900. Small schools are not a bad thing.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Smithville Woods in Southport is nice for families. Larger lots........kids.........and no pesky HOA. All different styles of homes.

But of course........we don't know your budget.

Heck, the high school I graduated from on Long Island, NY......only had 1200 when I went there...decades ago........now..it's around 900. Small schools are not a bad thing.
I looked up Smithville Woods, and it does look really nice. But the only homes I saw for sale there were definitely out of our budget. We are looking at more around the $200,000 range...maybe up to like $250,000. But the lower the better, obviously. So as beautiful as it is, it's not in our budget.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
We are looking at more around the $200,000 range...maybe up to like $250,000. But the lower the better, obviously.
But you also said you wanted a "large family home with maybe an in-law apartment". I think that is a fairly unlikely. The budget would get you a starter ranch home unless it is in very run-down condition.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
You had some good information provided on this thread:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...t-vs-east.html

I live in Southport, and there are definitely teenagers here. Its a small town, and Brunswick County does have a lot of retirees, but South Brunswick High School is right up the road and has an enrollment of 1,000, so there are teenagers around.

The best areas in Wilmington are away from downtown, especially the area south of Shipyard Blvd. and Oleander Dr.

Boiling Spring Lakes is very quiet, safe and almost exclusively residential.

Whats your house budget?
We drove through Boiling Spring Lakes when we were there in March...however, not sure what part we drove through. I don't think we even saw a store. I have found several homes in our price range that could work for us there. I'm thinking with the lakes, the parks and all, there must be teens around there for sure. Plus the homes I have been looking at online have at least a 1/2 acre of land with them. Guess this will be one of our stops.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:15 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,380,419 times
Quote:
We drove through Boiling Spring Lakes when we were there in March...however, not sure what part we drove through. I don't think we even saw a store. I have found several homes in our price range that could work for us there. I'm thinking with the lakes, the parks and all, there must be teens around there for sure. Plus the homes I have been looking at online have at least a 1/2 acre of land with them. Guess this will be one of our stops.
BSL only has sewer along Highway 87, so there is very little commercial development. All the houses are on septic systems. South Brunswick High School is in BSL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina