Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 12:38 PM

77 posts, read 144,666 times

Advertisements

Spent a week in Surf City (beach) and liked it a lot. Can imagine having a place there but might be intimidated by owning so close to the beach.

Thought that Hampstead had some decent developments but was a little too barren of life overall. Maybe closer to Surf City 50/210 would work.

Spent a full day driving around some sections of Wilmington. Riverlights was nice but not for us at all. S.Wilmington into Carolina Beach was nice, is on our list, but was busier than we really want...we THINK. Also not many dog friendly beaches.

So now we’re thinking of renting a house in the next week in Emerald Isle Beach and checking out the CC areas into Morehead City I guess.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what we can expect?

To reset, we are retired and into boating and fishing. We want quick access to inshore water and ~20 min drive to dog friendly beach(es). Will be 2nd home for a few years then ideally move into full time.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 01:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
If you're looking for dog friendly check out Oak Island, too.

We like Topsail for a day trip with our pooch.

Not sure what the different town rules and regs are along the Crystal Coast.

Old 06-02-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you're looking for dog friendly check out Oak Island, too.

We like Topsail for a day trip with our pooch.

Not sure what the different town rules and regs are along the Crystal Coast.
Thanks. Emerald Isle and Atlantic beaches are ok with leashed and controlled dogs.

Last edited by Iconic11; 06-02-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 06-02-2018, 02:25 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I looked it up one time and came to the conclusion that fr a day trip for us Topsail Beach is most dog friendly (off leash ok in off season) and Oak Island next best.

The OBX s good too, but not a day trip.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:10 PM

76 posts, read 75,150 times
Pine Knoll Shores on Bogue Banks is dog friendly and a beautiful
place that let RS in a well preserved maritime forest.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:49 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
Iconic11,
What type of boating and fishing do you do? If its inshore/offshore then I would highly encourage looking for places around Beaufort Inlet. This inlet goes to one of the two state ports. It is dredged to 60-65 feet and is approximately a mile wide.
On the backside of the inlet are great trout, drum and flounder areas like Middle marsh and the Haystacks.
Bogue Inlet, the inlet that Emerald Isle is adjacent to is in a constant state of flux. True, all inlets are, but Bogue Inlet is in a more exaggerated state. The channel is in a never ending cycle of migrating towards Bogue Banks (90 degree turn), then breaking straight through. Marking and maintaining Bogue Inlet is much more of a challenge.
Other advantages of Beaufort Inlet is that it basically cuts through Atlantic Beach, Morehead City and Beaufort. If you keep heading north then you'll end up in the Neuse River and Pamlico Sound.
I am retired from the TV/Film industry. Of the many things I was fortunate to do was to produce live, daily, syndicated programming about the NC coast. For over-all boating and fishing opportunities, Beaufort Inlet area would be more advantageous than Bogue Inlet. You also have a short jaunt to Cape Lookout from there too.
Full Disclosure. My wife and I have owned and operated a real estate agency in Morehead City for the past 15 years. I offer experience for both myself and folks who have explored the area such as yourself.
I have lived on Bogue Sound behind Emerald Isle. It offers many, many wonderful boating, fishing & swimming opportunities. But in general, Beaufort Inlet is better suited for the boater/fisherman.
The attached picture is a drone shot taken yesterday from Harkers Island. In the background is Beaufort. The marshes between are in the head end of the North River Thoroughfare. Superior light tackle fishing. Just to the left off camera is Beaufort Inlet.
PM me with any specific questions. I'll be glad to help.
Attached Thumbnails
Next up for us Crystal Coast (?)-harkers-island.jpg  

Old 06-03-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Iconic11,
What type of boating and fishing do you do? If its inshore/offshore then I would highly encourage looking for places around Beaufort Inlet. This inlet goes to one of the two state ports. It is dredged to 60-65 feet and is approximately a mile wide.
On the backside of the inlet are great trout, drum and flounder areas like Middle marsh and the Haystacks.
Bogue Inlet, the inlet that Emerald Isle is adjacent to is in a constant state of flux. True, all inlets are, but Bogue Inlet is in a more exaggerated state. The channel is in a never ending cycle of migrating towards Bogue Banks (90 degree turn), then breaking straight through. Marking and maintaining Bogue Inlet is much more of a challenge.
Other advantages of Beaufort Inlet is that it basically cuts through Atlantic Beach, Morehead City and Beaufort. If you keep heading north then you'll end up in the Neuse River and Pamlico Sound.
I am retired from the TV/Film industry. Of the many things I was fortunate to do was to produce live, daily, syndicated programming about the NC coast. For over-all boating and fishing opportunities, Beaufort Inlet area would be more advantageous than Bogue Inlet. You also have a short jaunt to Cape Lookout from there too.
Full Disclosure. My wife and I have owned and operated a real estate agency in Morehead City for the past 15 years. I offer experience for both myself and folks who have explored the area such as yourself.
I have lived on Bogue Sound behind Emerald Isle. It offers many, many wonderful boating, fishing & swimming opportunities. But in general, Beaufort Inlet is better suited for the boater/fisherman.
The attached picture is a drone shot taken yesterday from Harkers Island. In the background is Beaufort. The marshes between are in the head end of the North River Thoroughfare. Superior light tackle fishing. Just to the left off camera is Beaufort Inlet.
PM me with any specific questions. I'll be glad to help.
Great info. Thanks! Will adventure close offshore on a good day here and there but am almost exclusively inshore.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:20 PM

261 posts, read 307,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconic11 View Post
Spent a week in Surf City (beach) and liked it a lot. Can imagine having a place there but might be intimidated by owning so close to the beach.

Thought that Hampstead had some decent developments but was a little too barren of life overall. Maybe closer to Surf City 50/210 would work.

Spent a full day driving around some sections of Wilmington. Riverlights was nice but not for us at all. S.Wilmington into Carolina Beach was nice, is on our list, but was busier than we really want...we THINK. Also not many dog friendly beaches.

So now we’re thinking of renting a house in the next week in Emerald Isle Beach and checking out the CC areas into Morehead City I guess.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what we can expect?

To reset, we are retired and into boating and fishing. We want quick access to inshore water and ~20 min drive to dog friendly beach(es). Will be 2nd home for a few years then ideally move into full time.

Thanks!
If you liked Surf City and Topsail Island but don't want to be so close to the ocean, check out Waterside, a new 3200 home development getting ready to break ground in Surf City.

Plans approved for Surf City's largest development - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

There are more recent updated articles out there, just search. This may offer you the best of both worlds.

Old 06-05-2018, 12:49 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times
Have you looked around Sneads Ferry? It's close to North Topsail Beach.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgo View Post
If you liked Surf City and Topsail Island but don't want to be so close to the ocean, check out Waterside, a new 3200 home development getting ready to break ground in Surf City.

Plans approved for Surf City's largest development - News - Wilmington Star News - Wilmington, NC

There are more recent updated articles out there, just search. This may offer you the best of both worlds.
Thanks. I had seen a previous post here about this community and yes maybe it’s a fit. We liked a few communities near the 50/210 cross, especially Saltwater Landing. SW is built out but if a home came open that fit our needs we’d definitely have a look. Across bridge from SC and Topsail beaches is a good fit location wise but it seems very sparse. I imagine in 5 years we won’t be able to say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Have you looked around Sneads Ferry? It's close to North Topsail Beach.
Yes, we have friends who live there and we drove around. Not what we are looking for. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina