Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 34,904 times

Advertisements

I moved to downtown Wilmington about a month ago from outside of New York City for work. I like it down here. There are lots of cool things to do, but I am having trouble meeting people. I'm a female in my mid-twenties. Any one have any ideas? Are there any cool people out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 06:50 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Well what do you like to do?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:24 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
Just as general advice, you can look at Wilmington's newspaper at events.starnewsonline.com and there's categories of stuff going on, plus if you use the search rectangle above their listings, you can put in "clubs" or "organizations," and you might find some things that you would like to do with people who share your interests. There's athletic groups that like to run together, dance people who shag, people who volunteer for a cause, and so forth. Also, at the library, the staff should know about other groups who get together regularly, if you will tell them what you're interested in, like dogs or horses, art or music, wine tastings, water activities, and so on. If you want to expand your career choices, you can take courses at the university in various fields, and might run into folks who are a lot like you in a particular class. The more pastimes or hobbies you involve yourself in, just as a way of life, the more folks you will find to be friends with.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:52 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,508 times
It depends on what you consider "cool". Are you into nightclubs/dancing or more of a beach type person? Or just want friends to hang out with every once in a while?

I agree it's hard to meet people around here - especially single people!

I started taking a hip-hop dance class and made some friends that way. You could try something like that. I also know there is a newcomer's group in Wilmington that I've seen advertised in the newspaper. Also do you have a "myspace" page? You could start searching for ppl your age that way. Mine is "wilmingtonangel" if you want to look mine up.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:34 PM

35 posts, read 103,744 times
I'm a male in my early twenties and I've had trouble meeting people too. I'm not in a densely populated area though, so it's harder for me. There just aren't many younger people that I mesh will with or that mesh well with me. Not that I'm a boring person, it's just that most people around here are into shooting down animals or gaffing a fish for fun! (No offence anyone!) That said,
It's extremely frustrating, but I've gotten used to it. It'd probably be much different for me if I was in Wilmington, because it's a college town.

I can suggest for you maybe joining a very liberal church if you aren't religious, such as a Unitarian (google it) church. Good people there with not so die-hard beliefs as with some of the other religions. Perhaps you could do some volunteer work in your spare time. Places are always looking for volunteers. Another great place, is the YWCA! Or any gym. Cheap enough fees, and you'll see the same people on a regular basis.

Hope I helped!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:49 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,780 times
Hi NC-bound100. I was having the same problem. I am 30 yrs old and work from home so meeting people (especially around my same age / share the same interest) was hard. Check out meetup.com. They have a bunch of groups with lots going on. It's a great way to meet new people.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:13 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC-bound100 View Post
I moved to downtown Wilmington about a month ago from outside of New York City for work. I like it down here. There are lots of cool things to do, but I am having trouble meeting people. I'm a female in my mid-twenties. Any one have any ideas? Are there any cool people out there?
Check out the UNC-W campus or Cape Fear Community College - both have adult enrichment classes for any number of activities.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:30 PM

928 posts, read 3,852,752 times
go to yahoo and check out what the social stuff that is on there, i'm sure you can find something exciting to do. Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina