Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 07:15 AM

49 posts, read 72,443 times

Advertisements

Hello, considering a move to Greenville. Recently moved to NC from WV/ MD & live in New Bern. I am not a fan of new bern lol. Too small and seems very conservative. We are not. We sorta ended up here since a job offer got derailed and this was only option at the time.

So we are looking st other areas to move . Greenville has landed on the table and we are close by so going to visit more & research area.
Wondering if anyone can give me some insight into general info, things to do, housing etc. good neighborhoods blah blah. We are not wanting anything rural really. Interests are husband rides motorcycles, we are theatre people, well post COVID anyway and not sports really. I do like the idea of a university in a town however. Might be nice to see a game once in awhile. No school age kids only 1 in college. Would like a downtown area to reside but not sure if that’s do able in Greenville? Also Winterville came up as nice so that would be ok I suppose.

We will be buying a house under 210k which seems possible there. Husband will probably try to transfer with his job as he is in retail mgmt, if not will look for another position elsewhere .

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 07:03 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
In greenville you will find a small town and a large college. Making money from the college community is the major form of business you will find there. Parking is a big big money maker there so there will be little free parking anywhere even for non college students. If you are over 30 years old you may find the entire area boring.

Old 11-30-2020, 06:46 AM

So I seem to get either great reviews for Greenville or awful and no in between lol. We will drive around and look at houses there soon as I find that if I map out houses for sale & we drive to each it’s a great way to see the area.
What is the feel for the downtown area since the college seems to be located there? We’ve lived near universities before but not one as large. My daughter goes to a school of similar size as ECU in Ohio and I know the town revolves around the school but that Ohio town is small to begin with smaller then Greenville.

Old 11-30-2020, 09:16 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Overall, Greenville is a good place. It's certainly growing and there's been a big push the last few years on revitalizing the downtown area. However, it is still a college town. Most activities that have come to town are purely driven and are available because of the college. I'd say the arts scene is just ok. There won't be any Broadway shows that will come to town. No major concerts. You may get some plays or acts that come in through ECU's performing arts center, but nothing major. It's bigger than every other town in Eastern NC, with the exception of Wilmington. I'd rather be in Greenville than New Bern for sure. There's your normal "art walk" each month and a small art museum.

Housing is pretty affordable, but getting more expensive with every new neighborhood that pops up. There are some things to do and there's a lot of potential for growth over the next decade. I think that's the main thing Greenville has over most other places in Eastern NC. You kinda make it what you want. There are some events here. And a lot of good folks trying to make Greenville a better citynto live in and visit.

And Raleigh and Durham aren't that far away if you need to get your fix of city life with a day trip.

I think it's worth checking out.

Old 12-01-2020, 05:39 PM

thanks for the info. I am definitely not wanting us to stay in New Bern, I am actually surprised at the hype I heard about it before as I am (yawn) bored here already! I mean the downtown is cute for sure and the river very pretty scenic wise. But other then that there is really not much else and that MLK Blvd is a traffic mess as there is nowhere else to go. Everything seems to be off that road! Nonetheless I do agree Greenville has definite possibilities. Any neighborhoods that are reasonable and nice? we would like to be in the city limits I think. An in town location. I am trying to avoid a subdivision but will go that route if all else fails.

Old 12-02-2020, 03:12 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Parking is a big big money maker there so there will be little free parking anywhere even for non college students.
Hmmm.... I've lived here for 14 years and I've not yet paid for parking anywhere. There are no parking meters and the city has several free lots.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:03 AM

893 posts, read 1,342,075 times
^ yeah, what Richard said. I have lived here a long time & never have I paid to park in this city. There are the occasional parking lots uptown that charge a small fee, but that's about it. Compared to Raleigh, parking in uptown here is a breeze.

The uptown area is continuing to grow and gets better each year. If not for COVID, there would be two hotels under construction right now, or close to beginning. The one to be constructed on Dickenson Ave. was pushed back to next year due to the pandemic. Those will both bring more people into the area year round, which will help the business in the area during those times of year when students are not in town.

The Intersect East project: https://intersecteast.com/#vision will also change the uptown area for the better once that gets going.

There is certainly more to do here as compared to New Bern, but you have to look for some of it to be honest...the greenway is a great trail to walk / ride bikes, the ECU North Rec campus is very under utilized and has a beach area and a small lake. Kayaking in the Tar River is surprisingly fun despite the fact the water is brown, there are a couple of companies that offer rentals at a very reasonable price.

Anyway - in short, Greenville is what you make of it.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:49 AM

We went and drove around Greenville as well as Winterville. I liked both areas . Housing seems reasonable but perhaps rather competitive to get houses now since it’s a sellers market still. Loved the area around the school as well as several areas in town . Nice trees in many neighborhoods, etc

Looks like it’s going to be an option, checking out another area we are interested in ( Winston Salem) next month. Of course will depend on jobs also . Husband is in retail mgmt so more opportunities in w Salem but we did really like Greenville

Old 12-03-2020, 09:19 PM

Also question that came up, does Pitt County require the additional wind and hail homeowners insurance like I have to have in Craven Co? I see that Pitt is not on the list of the 20 NC coastal counties but wondered .

Old 01-12-2022, 05:19 PM

40 posts, read 81,661 times
Default Where did you move?

bgthompson123, I just came across your post and my family is looking to move and is also interested in Greenville, NC. It has been over a year since you posted and I was wondering where you ended up. If you chose Greenville, NC...can I ask how you like it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina